Drivers...Help me out

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had a 64 year old retired guy as a helper one year and he wasn't as quick as I would have liked but he showed up every day, worked safely and didn't complain. He also competed in triathlons so he had better endurance than most of the 20 year olds I had over the years!

I don't think I was ever called in to the office about our numbers and we got the packages delivered most everyday.

I'm wiht you. My helper last year was 61 and he is coming back this year at 62. But I had the opposite problem. I had to tell him to slow down. the third day he slipped on some ice and fell on his ass. I laughed at him (after I knew he was ok) and told him, "I bet you'll slow down now."

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You failed to mention that the $100 is the bonus the helper will get for staying until the last day.:happy-very:

Steve, don't try to put words in my mouth. I meant exactly what I typed--My loader will be getting $100 this year. Well worth every penny.
I didn't say a word about my helper.

Um, hello? It was a joke....kidding? Can't get the picture of me stuffing words, into your mouth, out of my head though. Thought the little smiley face at the end would clue you in to my jest, sorry for making you think I was calling you a cheapskate.

I too agree with tipping the loader, sometimes he falls right out of the bay door. :happy-very: <---See?

barnyard

KTM rider
I had my helper deliver bulk stops at the start of the day, while he was doing that, I would set up what I had room for. When I got to areas where both of us would do multiple stops, we would do that. I'd park and we would each walk off a couple of stops.

I NEVER set up anything while he was in the truck.

When running resis, I would get the next stop while he was delivering the current stop. I would put the package on the floor, he would scan as we were driving to the next stop and enter DR info while walking back to the truck.

At the longer driveways that had to be walked, I would set up more. Generally, once I had the whole load set up, I could drop off my helper. No apts on route, so I could generally deliver faster alone.

I generally had my helper for 3-4 hours and was usually +.30-60.

I see the same thing happening this year. Use my helper to pound off the bulk and close together businesses while I get the resis set up, then drop him off and go to work.

One other thing......

Last year, I had a p12000. That was sah-weet. By 10:30 everything was off the floor and set up. Those 12 extra feet of shelf space (compared to a p1000) is HUGE. The only place the extra length sucked was going into or coming out of alleys.

I also bought my helpers coffee/hot chocolate everyday and then gave them a holiday bonus and took them out for lunch on the last day. Preloader gets $50-100 depending on the year..... even $50 seems to be money well spent.

TB

barnyard

KTM rider
I should add that my best helpers have been older. They learned the board faster, dressed for conditions and listened when I told them to slow down. Pace is important.

The 1st helper I ever had was walking a package up to the side of a house, woman comes out and as she opens the door, a little dog comes flying out, jumps off the porch and (I thought) started humping the helpers leg. He gets back and I said, "Looks like the dog was liken your leg."

Him, "No kidding, I didn't think it would let go."

Turns out, the dog and bit him and would not let go.

Me, "Dude, did it draw blood, do I need to file an injury report, call the boss, etc.????"

Him, "Oh no. I hate the cold. I have long johns, pair of jeans, then the UPS pants. I don't think the dogs teeth were long enough to get to skin."

He was a pretty cool helper.

TB

rocket man

When i jumped i did a complete flip my driver AT the timestill laughs about it He looked saw my boots up in the air my head facing the lawn I couldnt do that if i tried.I came down hard big grass stain on shoulder. AFTER ALL THE CRAP IVE BEEN THRU now being a full time driver its kinda funny.now .oh the package landed on the porch.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I was a helper, I was walking back to the truck and I hit a long stretch of ice. I kind of slid around, stumbled and went down after about 15 feet of trying to 'save it.' I was near a pretty busy intersection, so I jumped up and put my arms in the air (like a gymnast at the end of a routine).

Several cars honked.

The driver reminds me of that every now and then.....

TB

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I was a helper, I was walking back to the truck and I hit a long stretch of ice. I kind of slid around, stumbled and went down after about 15 feet of trying to 'save it.' I was near a pretty busy intersection, so I jumped up and put my arms in the air (like a gymnast at the end of a routine).

Several cars honked.

The driver reminds me of that every now and then.....

TB

10!

softshoe

How best to utilize a helper. It seems impossible to scratch a route with a helper. What are some key elements that best utilize helpers on route? A driver could prerecord, load packages up in the cab, leave the bulkhead door open and literally run packages up to houses and still would not be able to get even close to scratching. I’m talking 2.0 hours over allowed. The pkg cars are so jammed packed, it’s impossible to even set up in the first half of the day. Please post "tricks of the trade" methods that help make your day as productive as possible. This of course, while maintaining safety and following proper procedures. Or, is it even possible?

Its hard to believe a driver would be worried about running scratch. Work safe and remember drivers get fired for making mistakes, not for being over allowed.

Theichii

Last year i was a helper i was 21, i thought it was the greatest thing in the world, i learned the diad 3 in the first day and was sort of familiar witht the 4. I rode with about 4 drivers in my 2 months and all of them were hella impressed. I even road around with my OR and center manager during peak to do trash work and i believe i impressed my center manager so much he called me back about 10 days after peak to go to driving school, then preload, and now driving since May. The way the drivers used me was to fine sort while i ran if it was a rural route, to drop me off with a stack of boxes if it was congested, or alternate if it was just as convienent.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I always liked to have enough room to sort, and then all I did was point. I sorted, presheeted cods and business stops, and Driver released everything else FD. Didn't matter whether it got left there or not. I would be in the seat waiting on the helper, ready to go. The only time I left the pkg car was if we had stops on both sides of the car- Then I would take the short one, and send the helper on the long one- That way I would beat the helper back to the car, and be ready to go. Of course, if the weather was bad-I found reasons to stay in the dry pkg car.......