Drivers Helper

evilleace

Alright guys I had my drivers helper training today and I am really excited about it actually get to see what driving is like. The training was pretty informative except the training DIADS weren't ready so they just told us to check them out on our down time after shift. They did let us keep the training book so we could read how to use the DIAD. Seems a little confusing but when I get my hands on one I will get used to it.

Also I was wondering if someone could recommend a good shoe or boot for helping that is not going to break the bank. Also if anyone has any tips feel free to speak up thanks and have a good day!

Apollo

Also I was wondering if someone could recommend a good shoe or boot for helping that is not going to break the bank. Also if anyone has any tips feel free to speak up thanks and have a good day!

Surprisingly, my boots I wear everyday, and go hiking in, i got from Walmart. I bought them over a year ago for $25 and they're still in decent condition. I gotta say, buy some comfortable insoles though. They're not necessary, but make it soooo much better. I think the brand of the boot was like Burhma? They're steel-toe, waterproof, and pretty dang comfy. But quite honestly, i was suprised with getting them at walmart. Especially finding a size 15 there, but you probably don't have that problem :wink2:.

barnyard

KTM rider

Ya, because no one has ever, ever, in the history of Brown Cafe ever and I mean NEVER asked what kind of boots or shoes work well for upsers.

Sheesh.

TB

Cementups

Box Monkey
We should start athread on footwear. i'm some people could share their knowledge and give some information on the subject. jst a thought.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ANYWAY, back to the OP and his request for advice/help. The number one tip that I can give you is to be on time and ready to work when you get there, whether it be at the bldg or at your meet point on the road. Don't wait until you get there to get your uniform or whatever you will need for your day. You will quickly figure out the pace that your driver would like you to maintain--if you don't I'm sure he will remind you. Smoking is an issue between you and the driver. Don't be afraid to speak up if you need to use the restroom or have any other issues but try to take advantage of commercial stops that have restrooms. The DIAD will come to you in time but most helpers that I have used have limited use of the DIAD, mainly for residential deliveries and basic commercial deliveries as CODs are usually kept in the drivers board.

I prefer to use the same helper throughout peak as you tend to work better with someone that you have gotten used to and who has gotten used to you. You can usually tell after the first day if you and the driver are a good fit or if you perhaps should work with someone else. If things don't work out with your first driver don't take it personal.

You are there to assist the driver. This is also a great way to get your foot in the door as I have been able to get 3 of my helpers inside jobs.

evilleace

The thread wasn't all about footwear sorry and thanks for your help upstate as so far you and apollo are the only ones to help so thanks to you also apollo. As far as inside work I already have an inside job but again thanks for your help.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm still pissed off that my center manager won't let me use my loader as my helper. This would be a great way to train him to load and let him see what the future holds. GoodLuck evilleace, I'm sure you'll do good, man.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Thanks Steve how come you can't use your loader?

Don't know. I asked my center manager if I could and he said no. Said he would be hiring outsiders for helpers.

After he said this, I walked over to a window, opened the window, wrote the word common sense on a piece of paper and threw it out the window....LOL:happy-very:

beentheredonethat

Don't know. I asked my center manager if I could and he said no. Said he would be hiring outsiders for helpers.

After he said this, I walked over to a window, opened the window, wrote the word common sense on a piece of paper and threw it out the window....LOL:happy-very:

Steve, the main reason UPS would rather not have an insider as a helper is that too often they get burnt out and after 2 weeks or so, they start calling in on Thur or Friday and not only do we have a missing helper, but a missing preloader. There's exceptions where they do a great job. Usually for the last week or two, anything goes, and the typical preloader can last up to that long as both a preloader and helper.

Big Babooba

I'm still pissed off that my center manager won't let me use my loader as my helper. This would be a great way to train him to load and let him see what the future holds. GoodLuck evilleace, I'm sure you'll do good, man.
Our building has a full time preload. The poor wretches get enough abuse during their 8+ hours of drudgery. I wouldn't want to have a zombie for a helper. Then again, an electric cattle prod........

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We use as many preloaders and unloaders as possible. Even in a down economy it's hard to find someone off the street to take the abuse. That and they're usually the wretched refuse of society.

helenofcalifornia

And the insider already knows exactly what type of abuse to expect. The insider comes prepacked with Advil and water. Most likely already knows the driver. More pluses than minuses by hiring insiders I believe.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We do use inside workers as jumpers, if they want to. Like Steve said it is great training for preloaders to see how their drivers run their rtes. Unfortunately mgt doesn't see that and more often than not mgt put inside jumpers on a rte that they don't load. When I was a preloader I begged to be put on my trucks that I loaded.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

How come your UPS building has windows? The only buildings that have windows up here are hubs.