Drivers & School

UPSGUY72

Actually that's probably the way to go. I'll have to check and see what's their latest classes. Thanks.

Not going to happen as you can't guarantee your going to get out in time every day or the days you need to go to classes and in order to pass a course you need to show up... Also it would take you years as you could most likely only take 1 course a semester.

oldngray

nowhere special
You might have enough time to take a class as a hobby or for continuing education but almost no chance of having enough time to go to a school for a degree if you are full time driving. I took a class that met 2 evenings a week and I couldn't always make it there in time.

UPSGUY72

Use your 8 hr request one the day you have class.

You only get two a month and 8hr guarantee means they can work you up to 8:30 hrs. Also you can only miss so many classes before you fail no matter what. So it would be a crap shoot. each semester and it could end up being a expensive crap shoot.

PT Car Washer

I'm going to be on call
On call in the morning should not effect an evening class. Most of these comments are coming from FT package car drivers and is very different from your situation. Unless you are on call to cover a PM air pick up route you should be good. Can you give a better description of your job?

UPyourS

On call in the morning should not effect an evening class. Most of these comments are coming from FT package car drivers and is very different from your situation. Unless you are on call to cover a PM air pick up route you should be good. Can you give a better description of your job?
I'm at the beginning of the process of becoming a driver. I'm a part time loader I recently just passed my drive test and now I have the classes starting this Wednesdays. I'm going to be an air driver I won't be delivering ground but I was told I could be working on Saturdays. I'm becoming an air driver just because peak season is approaching.

UPSGUY72

I'm at the beginning of the process of becoming a driver. I'm a part time loader I recently just passed my drive test and now I have the classes starting this Wednesdays. I'm going to be an air driver I won't be delivering ground but I was told I could be working on Saturdays. I'm becoming an air driver just because peak season is approaching.

I would double check with your SUP as I don't believe your just going to deliver air during peak... Your probably going to be a temp Ft driver possible till Jan 15th then you will go back to being only a air driver.

PT Car Washer

You are going to be a Saturday/Air exception driver. Go ahead and plan to take that class. UPS can not force you to work unless it is delivering on Saturday. As long as the class does not interfere with your regular PT job you will be fine. Your air driving job is a PT, PT job. Most likely you will only be working Saturdays.

UPSGUY72

You are going to be a Saturday/Air exception driver. Go ahead and plan to take that class. UPS can not force you to work unless it is delivering on Saturday. As long as the class does not interfere with your regular PT job you will be fine. Your air driving job is a PT, PT job. Most likely you will only be working Saturdays.

The OP should clarify what he is going to be doing during peak before anything. If it was any other part of the year it might be different..

UPyourS

I would double check with your SUP as I don't believe your just going to deliver air during peak... Your probably going to be a temp Ft driver possible till Jan 15th then you will go back to being only a air driver.
Okay that makes sense. I'll double check with one of my SUPS. Thanks.

UPS1982

I only finished two years of school in engineering before going full-time. A couple years into it I regretted not finishing school, so I went to a community college and picked business administration as a degree doing it completely online. I received my associates and transferred to a state university. I'm six classes out from my bachelors degree, I should be done next year. After that I'm either going to get my masters or go back now that they offer engineering online and finish that degree.

It's not easy depending on how many classes you take. I usually take two classes a semester or one if I want to take it easy. You get an hour for lunch that you can do homework, which I don't, and when there are projects or exams to take I call out sick to make sure I keep up my good grades. It's tough with the job but the 9.5 list is a beautiful thing and you can still have a personal life and complete school while going full-time.

Rainman

Its all good.
I took some online classes about 15 years ago, 1 per semester when my kids were really young. After the third child was born I had to drop it. A lot depends on your spouse, and how much she is willing to pick up the slack for you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You only get two a month and 8hr guarantee means they can work you up to 8:30 hrs. Also you can only miss so many classes before you fail no matter what. So it would be a crap shoot. each semester and it could end up being a expensive crap shoot.
All very much generalization. We get 3 8 hours. They can't work us a second over 8 hours unless we allow it here and I know many people that have talked to instructors and missed many classes. They usually could care less if you're there. They get paid anyway.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I know many people that have talked to instructors and missed many classes. They usually could care less if you're there. They get paid anyway.
Depending on the degree and classes, some professors will work with you. With my major by federal regulation you needed so many hours of classroom instruction. If you missed a class you had to pay to do a makeup class, which ended up being about 60 bucks per hour of instruction. I talked with one professor about it. Explained it was peak and the hours that I was working. The guy would bend over backwards for me. Most of those professors won't work with kids are who missing class because they're hungover. They will work with people who miss class because they need to pay the bills.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depending on the degree and classes, some professors will work with you. With my major by federal regulation you needed so many hours of classroom instruction. If you missed a class you had to pay to do a makeup class, which ended up being about 60 bucks per hour of instruction. I talked with one professor about it. Explained it was peak and the hours that I was working. The guy would bend over backwards for me. Most of those professors won't work with kids are who missing class because they're hungover. They will work with people who miss class because they need to pay the bills.
Yeah I could see how yours would be different and maybe times have changed but I know someone that had to take an 8 am class because that's the only time it was offered.

Went to the professor before the first class said I don't do 8 am. I'll teach myself and be here for tests. Teacher laughed and said good luck. Got a B in the class.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yeah I could see how yours would be different and maybe times have changed but I know someone that had to take an 8 am class because that's the only time it was offered.

Went to the professor before the first class said I don't do 8 am. I'll teach myself and be here for tests. Teacher left and said good luck. Got a B in the class.
I did that with my psych class except I slept. Showed up first day, exam 1, exam 2, class before the final, and the final. Got an A. Joke of a class.