Drivers Should be Allowed to Carry Guns

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Idk man. We have way too many drivers with anger management issues. Some of these guys flip their :censored2: over the littlest things. I don't think giving them guns is going to help

You've hit the nail on the head.

I'm a big 2A guy, I have a small arsenal here at home. Frankly I wouldn't trust many of the people I work with to carry a firearm and I consider some of them close, personal friends.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I’m sure this is controversial af, but between what happened in San Francisco, the driver being kidnapped last year, the incident in Florida, and the three holdups in San Jose, it has become increasingly evident that the company neither has the intention nor the ability to ensure our safety on the streets.

I am of the opinion that drivers with the proper certifications, and/or veterans, should be allowed to conceal carry a weapon on them. Before this, however, there are prerequisites:

1) Must have CCW license (in state’s where applicable)
2) A UPS weapons safety certification class be created and attended by the applicant
3) Provide a weapons lockup at the front when you walk in for the following purposes:
A) store your weapon while in the building
B) collect the weapon when leaving for route
C) storing weapon upon return to building
D) collecting when you leave for the day.

Today’s events in Florida are just the latest case of a driver’s inability to defend himself in the fade of an armed enemy. Something certainly has to give.
Take a look around at your coworkers. Would you feel comfortable with them all carrying a gun?

Dumbo

I’m sure this is controversial af, but between what happened in San Francisco, the driver being kidnapped last year, the incident in Florida, and the three holdups in San Jose, it has become increasingly evident that the company neither has the intention nor the ability to ensure our safety on the streets.

I am of the opinion that drivers with the proper certifications, and/or veterans, should be allowed to conceal carry a weapon on them. Before this, however, there are prerequisites:

1) Must have CCW license (in state’s where applicable)
2) A UPS weapons safety certification class be created and attended by the applicant
3) Provide a weapons lockup at the front when you walk in for the following purposes:
A) store your weapon while in the building
B) collect the weapon when leaving for route
C) storing weapon upon return to building
D) collecting when you leave for the day.

Today’s events in Florida are just the latest case of a driver’s inability to defend himself in the fade of an armed enemy. Something certainly has to give.

What? Although this was really tragic and I don't agree with how the police handled it at all, this wasn't about targeting UPS. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It could have just as easily been an Uber driver or a mom with a van full of kids.

Dr.Brownz

Its “preparing” out of fear. Too much news is bad for you. Feel terrible for our brown brothers family. Horrible way for a hard working young guy to go. I just refuse to believe that more people armed is a solution. We don’t need any more Americans running around with guns waiting for somebody to shoot them. We are too stupid.

Why wear a seat belt or even follow traffic laws? You 'fraid you gon get in an accident!? PUSILLANIMOUS!

Dumbo

Why wear a seat belt or even follow traffic laws? You 'fraid you gon get in an accident!? PUSILLANIMOUS!

Apples to oranges. A seatbelt isn't going to get stolen and kill someone else. Arming every group of people because one of them is a victim of a crime is idiocy. Every profession has had victims of gun violence. Should we arm Walmart workers when they get robbed? How about McDonald's employees when they get robbed? As a UPS driver, you are 1000x more likely to die in a car accident than getting shot by the police or a armed robbery suspect.

As evidenced by the police officers in this case, people are stupid. Put a gun in their hands and they become even more stupid. You take a situation like a bar fight and amp it up into a life or death situation because you know you have a gun and you are a bad ass so you escalate. Not many people, including cops, are good at handling adrenaline and making appropriate decisions during a conflict.

rocket man

Isn’t that considered unlawful display of a weapon?
no way we should be able to carry guns on the route I got robbed at gunpoint on my route. I wouldn't have been able to use it if I had one I would have got killed on the spot. We are not police we are not fireman .or Em's.we are professional package car drivers that unfortunately are a target.

Dumbo

It's literally the title of the post and explaining that drivers should be able to conceal and carry under certain requirements.

When it comes to firearms, I don't think most people have the capacity to quell the rush of adrenaline and think clearly, and calmly when faced with a major confrontation. I don't think it can really be trained into people based off incidents like these where the police literally just went bat :censored2: crazy and they all fed off each other.

I do think training may help a little bit, but really handling confrontation comes down to natural personality type. I believe people who are generally more calm and relaxed, those who are usually more measured in their attitudes are more of the type that can be armed and use it only in the absolute necessary of times. I'm generally a very relaxed person and I carried a gun for 15 years both for my job and in public with my family, and I can admit there was always more of a invincible weight I carried with me, as if nobody could :censored2: with me because I'm armed. I would often ask myself how I would handle a violent confrontation, would I escalate it because I had a gun? I always told myself I wouldn't but you never know, nobody does until someone is right there trying to :censored2: with you.

El Correcto

god is dead
Apples to oranges. A seatbelt isn't going to get stolen and kill someone else. Arming every group of people because one of them is a victim of a crime is idiocy. Every profession has had victims of gun violence. Should we arm Walmart workers when they get robbed? How about McDonald's employees when they get robbed? As a UPS driver, you are 1000x more likely to die in a car accident than getting shot by the police or a armed robbery suspect.

As evidenced by the police officers in this case, people are stupid. Put a gun in their hands and they become even more stupid. You take a situation like a bar fight and amp it up into a life or death situation because you know you have a gun and you are a bad ass so you escalate. Not many people, including cops, are good at handling adrenaline and making appropriate decisions during a conflict.
Whatever, if UPS gave me permission to have a gun I’d be taking fools out like Rick Dalton in bounty law.

Nick406

A firearm is a tool. Plain and simple. It provides the owner a sense of security. Every package Car has (or SHOULD have) a fire extinguisher in case of emergencies. Why? Because the FD takes to long to get on scene. Same premise with a CCW. That being said, there are many drivers who should NOT have a firearm for one reason or another. So instead, what about pepper spray or bear spray being allowed? Pretty sure a 30 foot cloud of Capsaicin would deter most would be attackers. If it works (usually) for a grizzly bear, I would think it would be more than adequate against a head case. Even if they decided to start shooting, you would have a better chance of escape than without it!

Zowert

A firearm is a tool. Plain and simple. It provides the owner a sense of security. Every package Car has (or SHOULD have) a fire extinguisher in case of emergencies. Why? Because the FD takes to long to get on scene. Same premise with a CCW. That being said, there are many drivers who should NOT have a firearm for one reason or another. So instead, what about pepper spray or bear spray being allowed? Pretty sure a 30 foot cloud of Capsaicin would deter most would be attackers. If it works (usually) for a grizzly bear, I would think it would be more than adequate against a head case. Even if they decided to start shooting, you would have a better chance of escape than without it!

I agree with this. Being armed on the job is just too much of a liability, especially for those who deliver to gun free zones. They’d have to disarm and rearm themselves every time they deliver, which means handling a loaded gun and increasing risk. Jumping in and out of a truck, lifting irregs up stairs, all the moving around involved in bulk stops, etc.. Doing that stuff with a firearm on you doesn’t seem very safe to me. I’m sure there are many who’d disagree though.

Pepper spray on the other hand is a good idea. It may not be the best tool against an armed robber, but at least it would give you a better chance to save your life if running isn’t an option. Also it would come in handy against aggressive dogs.

Oh and I’ve come into contact with a cloud of bear spray, that stuff is absolutely brutal. Literally the most agonizing 15 minutes of my life. I could barely even breathe while I desperately poured water on my face, even dunked my head in a river. I’d rather be shot than go through that again, my god...

Last edited: