Drivers: who else is permanently coded 05 (pay actual)?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Yeah mgmt sends us a similar message every day.

Do you know if people have been grieving it? What have your stews and BA said about the issue?
Sorry brother I always appreciate your point of view but if you’re done early and want 8 call in, cover a pick up, or slow down. We don’t have this issue here from short staffing, most guys out for 9-10 hours a day. Enjoy getting home early but you ain’t getting paid to take a shower, sorry Mo.

Article 22.4 all RPCDs are guaranteed 8 when work is available. Gotta make yourself available to beat the system.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Sorry brother I always appreciate your point of view but if you’re done early and want 8 call in, cover a pick up, or slow down. We don’t have this issue here from short staffing, most guys out for 9-10 hours a day. Enjoy getting home early but you ain’t getting paid to take a shower, sorry Mo.

Article 22.4 all RPCDs are guaranteed 8 when work is available. Gotta make yourself available to beat the system.
A lot of the issue often stems from drivers finishing at 7.95 hours and being shorted .05 or some other small amount. like it's becoming a game in and of itself to remember not to clock out before 5:10 with a half hour lunch or 5:40 with a full hour or some number inbetween.

Whither

Scofflaw
That’s been going on here since Covid. Idk how you get done before 8 hours.
Excepting Saturdays, my center's been well-staffed since the beginning of this year. Volume has been noticeably lighter than 2020 and 21, and aside from their route-cutting spree during late winter/early spring, they've actually been regularly dispatching base cars (split-routes).

They are also trying to butter us up here, surely a tactic for 2023, by keeping us 9.5. A couple times a month I'll go out with a 7-ish hr planned and punch out with ~7.75 hrs on the clock.

Whither

Scofflaw

I'm sorry to hear you're still short-staffed.

In my case it's always been rare to get done before 8 hrs, but until 2 months ago we would get paid the guarantee so long as we had clocked 7.5 hrs. I would have no ethical dilemma demanding more than that. A few years ago a stew's bid route was very light. He punched out with 6 hrs and change, they changed his code that night, and he wrangled his guaranteed pay out of them the next morning. I think we should let management do the managing: if they hadn't dispatched him any further work, and did not "catch him" to ask if he was willing to accept pay actual that day, then per the contract he was entitled to the 8 hr pay guarantee.

Once the company fixed our paycodes to 05 around June this year we had to grieve in order to get paid the remainder of our guarantee. (As usual, plenty were too intimidated to file.) But the labor manager was still paying out these grieves. Then he stopped, our grieves were deadlocked again at the area panel, so now it's on to regional panel. If deadlocked there it goes to the Central Region director's desk. He agrees with me: by fixing our paycodes to 05 the company is committing time card fraud and wage theft.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
A fair days work in our building means your assigned duties for the day. I do not (and will not) have to ask for the last 20 mins of my shift, as i have completed my fair days work for fair days pay. Period.
Mind you this is with all breaks and lunch taken.
Fair days work, for a fair days pay is the ONLY stanard that matters.
As the contract states an 8 hr guarantee, it can not be considered fair, under any interpritations, to ask for extra work past your assigned duties for the day.
Also, what li e in the contract specifically says "you must ask for extra work if finished under 8hr gaurantee"
It doesnt.

Follow the methods.

Whither

Scofflaw
A fair days work in our building means your assigned duties for the day. I do not (and will not) have to ask for the last 20 mins of my shift, as i have completed my fair days work for fair days pay. Period.
Mind you this is with all breaks and lunch taken.
Bingo. But you can see above in this thread, some of our brothers and sisters are more worried about being "reasonable" and considering what's "fair" for the company than they are about enforcing the contract language.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
This arguement is all based on the master only. Sups and riders vary. Read your book.

8hrg(uarantee), if avaiable, does not mean you have to ask for the rest of your Gaurantee if finished early

It means, if you punch in, they owe you 8 hrs, gauraneed. Otherwise, you would not be punching in, and since work is "not avaiable" they do not owe the 8hrg.

This is where a new fun game can exsist for us now. YOU MUST ASK for your 8hrg, because chances are there can be a seniority violation somewhere.
If youve asked, and they still have no work for you (and your supplement or rider doesnt void the "if only" clause, meaning you get your 8) YOU CAN FILE UNEMPLOYMENT for the day, as you are now technically laid off.
If youve asked, and still denied, ups can not use the 8hrg clause to try and deny unemployment benifits.

This will make a poor Center Manager get a call asking why so and so is making unemployment - layoff claims.

Youll be working, i gaurantee that.

Again, this is based ONLY on the Master 8hrg language.

Thoughts?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
RPCD here in the Central Region. The company has been coding us 05 -- and has removed the ability to edit our paycodes -- since June. Some of us, including yours truly, have been grieving it every time we punch out with less than 8 hours. Maybe twice a month in my case.

Recently the company deadlocked our grieves at panel, refusing both to pay the remainder of guarantees and to quit committing wage theft and time card fraud. It's a clear violation of Article 12.7 (Central).

I'm curious if this going on across the country, so please reply and let us know what supplement you're working under. I've spoken with Dennis Roberts, the Central Region director, about it. He confirmed this is going on elsewhere in the Central. He also considers it wage theft and a strikeable issue -- though not until Article 5 (Central) procedures are fulfilled. Realistically that might stretch on to August 1, 2023 ... once again, the grievance procedure is broken.
We are told not to punch out before 8 hours. Work as directed, if they want you to hang around until 8 hours that is what you do.

Wally

View attachment 404986

I wonder how many Teamsters have a problem w the company violating the contract. We can break the guarantee; the company may not preemptively code us 05. Here we always used to get our guarantee if we worked 7.5 hrs.
It doesn't say you can book out and still get 8 hours. All it says is you are guaranteed to work 8.

Brownwind

We are told not to punch out before 8 hours. Work as directed, if they want you to hang around until 8 hours that is what you do.
Be the dude and grab a bulk pickup on the way in. Code car wash or unskilled help (092?) to fill out your eight.
(Can’t believe anyone is under) I know we’re anonymous but be realistic

Whither

Scofflaw
Some Teamsters when they hear Carol Tome makes $27 million a year in total compensation. "No big deal, she's a CEO."

Some Teamsters when they hear another Teamster got paid for 8 hrs despite being on the clock for 7.51 hrs: "That's an outrage, who does this working stiff think he is!"

Wally

Be the dude and grab a bulk pickup on the way in. Code car wash or unskilled help (092?) to fill out your eight.
(Can’t believe anyone is under) I know we’re anonymous but be realistic
Mondays are the early days. I usually clean my truck.

Brownwind

You can go home but it's a code 5. Why give the company the option? I stay for the 8.
Agree.. it will benefit your pension in a positive way. Easy money and it benefits us to work the full eight. I advise the young guys to grab a cup and enjoy the ride in. Best part of the day

Wally

It would help if you read the thread. You're missing some key information.
What am I missing? Apparently the company is paying code 5 if you leave before 8 hours. Where I am, they will pay you only for hours worked. As per management, if you want 8 you must stay for 8. They have that right, and you have the right to 8 hours pay.

We are our own worst enemy-working code 5 or coming to work then going home. Push a broom for 8 hours.

Whither

Scofflaw
What am I missing? Apparently the company is paying code 5 if you leave before 8 hours. Where I am, they will pay you only for hours worked. As per management, if you want 8 you must stay for 8. They have that right, and you have the right to 8 hours pay.

We are our own worst enemy-working code 5 or coming to work then going home. Push a broom for 8 hours.
I can't do the reading for you brother. If you'd like to correct me re: Central Region contract language that I've cited, as well as the company's past practice on the issue, then please do. Otherwise you're not addressing the issue we're now taking to regional panel.

As a general note: I worry less about what mgmt tries to dictate than what the contract says. (It's a wild idea, I know, that mgmt would ever give instructions that violate the contract.)