Drivers with shoulder and neck injuries from non-power steering vehicles

tieguy

Banned
Amen sister!
The feeder trucks DID NOT have power steering until approximately 1991 or 92, somewhere in that time frame.
Imagine how many shoulders got torn up in that time.
I realize there are some young, innocent, wide-eyed and bulletproof posters here that can't magine ever having anything happening to them and will deny that the company would ever do such a thing.
I'm just speaking from personal observation.

It really does not matter whether the managment poster thinks he is bullet proof or not. The point proved to be a distraction from the senseless arguments made here. UPS despite your insinuations did not decide to devise a new way of torturing their workers by removing power steering. For many years many drivers including those outside of UPS drove tractors without power steering. Did some drivers have shoulder problems? Yep did all drivers have shoulder problems? Nope. Why do some have the problems and most do not? An honest question you folks generally won't answer. If working a clutch destroys your knees why is it only a small percentage of all drivers have knee problems. If driving a tractor with no power steering tears your shoulder up why do only a small percentage of drivers tear their shoulders up? And hence my point that perhaps I should take the performance of my penis and make that a work related issue also. I can see the headlines now. "UPS abuses workers penis."

trickpony1

........the same reason that only a small percentage of people:
-have red hair;
-have type O blood;
-are professional athletes;
-have blue eyes;
-develop cancer;
-develop MS, lupus etc.;
-go into management.
......need I continue?

Not all of us were formed in the graven image of a superhuman manager, but, that may change when the company establishes the breeding farms, not unlike Hitler's SS, to assure a source of genetically perfect employees for the future of the company.
Sieg Heil!

.....as an afterthought, you probably could claim disability regarding your penis. Would it have to do with how many people you've screwed?

helenofcalifornia

We had a driver in our center who was having carpal tunnel issues. He was going to have to go off work because of it soon. He offered to pay $1000 that it would cost to switch his stick to a automatic. Out of his own packet. UPS, of course, turned him down because that would be admitting there was a problem. He went on disability for about 3 years, never quit, and came back as a clerk when a job bid came up. What happened to that part of the 1997 contract that said new trucks would all have power steering and automatics? How long does it take for these trucks to wear out? I am the only in my family that has shoulder and knee problems. The only one with arthritis in my knee. If fact, the only one ever to have arthritis in my family and we are talking about grandparents that lived to be about 95/97. Yeah, sorry Tie, but I think UPS had something to do with it. In fact, I think they had everything to do with it. I just wish that they cared more about their employees who make them their money.

tieguy

Banned
........the same reason that only a small percentage of people:
-have red hair;
-have type O blood;
-are professional athletes;
-have blue eyes;
-develop cancer;
-develop MS, lupus etc.;
-go into management.
......need I continue?

Not all of us were formed in the graven image of a superhuman manager, but, that may change when the company establishes the breeding farms, not unlike Hitler's SS, to assure a source of genetically perfect employees for the future of the company.
Sieg Heil!

.....as an afterthought, you probably could claim disability regarding your penis. Would it have to do with how many people you've screwed?

ah thats better. So your point is inferior breeding not the equipment caused those injuries. Now I understand.

tieguy

Banned
We had a driver in our center who was having carpal tunnel issues. He was going to have to go off work because of it soon. He offered to pay $1000 that it would cost to switch his stick to a automatic. Out of his own packet. UPS, of course, turned him down because that would be admitting there was a problem. He went on disability for about 3 years, never quit, and came back as a clerk when a job bid came up. What happened to that part of the 1997 contract that said new trucks would all have power steering and automatics? How long does it take for these trucks to wear out? I am the only in my family that has shoulder and knee problems. The only one with arthritis in my knee. If fact, the only one ever to have arthritis in my family and we are talking about grandparents that lived to be about 95/97. Yeah, sorry Tie, but I think UPS had something to do with it. In fact, I think they had everything to do with it. I just wish that they cared more about their employees who make them their money.

Ok, So ups did it to you and everyone else in your center. Correct? And again if not then why not?

helenofcalifornia

Tie, not everyone is built the same. I am kinda surprised that you are even engaging in this type of an argument. Repetitive motion of any kind over the years is going to do damage. Opening that damn bulkhead door a minimum of 150 times a day, going up that 18" first step, lifting the dolly in and out, the
lack of power steering in most of the trucks, etc. People riding a desk for a living run the risk of a fat ass, not a torn rotator cuff or bad knees. Now, come on Tie, don't you remember what it was like?

trickpony1

Tie, not everyone is built the same. I am kinda surprised that you are even engaging in this type of an argument. Repetitive motion of any kind over the years is going to do damage. Opening that damn bulkhead door a minimum of 150 times a day, going up that 18" first step, lifting the dolly in and out, the
lack of power steering in most of the trucks, etc. People riding a desk for a living run the risk of a fat ass, not a torn rotator cuff or bad knees. Now, come on Tie, don't you remember what it was like?
I agree completely.
I think Tie knows what we are talking about and, if I had to guess, I'd say Tie went into management years ago because he saw others around him falling apart and knew that wasn't for him.
He obviously has to follow the company line or it could be devastating for his very wealthy and happy retirement.

hoser

Industrial Slob
It really does not matter whether the managment poster thinks he is bullet proof or not. The point proved to be a distraction from the senseless arguments made here. UPS despite your insinuations did not decide to devise a new way of torturing their workers by removing power steering. For many years many drivers including those outside of UPS drove tractors without power steering. Did some drivers have shoulder problems? Yep did all drivers have shoulder problems? Nope. Why do some have the problems and most do not? An honest question you folks generally won't answer. If working a clutch destroys your knees why is it only a small percentage of all drivers have knee problems. If driving a tractor with no power steering tears your shoulder up why do only a small percentage of drivers tear their shoulders up? And hence my point that perhaps I should take the performance of my penis and make that a work related issue also. I can see the headlines now. "UPS abuses workers penis."
you make a very good point, but if it can be proven that a job affects a person's sex life (whether they work around or with things that make them sterile) or there's a certain kind of distress that's fully avoidable that the company won't address that directly affects an employees sex life, it's a good lawsuit. thing is, ups is excercise, excercise improves your sexual abilities, and any affect to sex life for a ups employee is most likely due to domestic matters at home, not ups. unless the dim-weight machine a ups employee works around is proven to cause impotence :laugh:.

there, that's me playing lawyer for the evening :lol:

hoser

Industrial Slob
Where's the buyer beware for employees? Can the employee prove that it was the stick shift that caused carpral? If this is such a dire issue, why have I never heard of this from other employees or other centres? Hell, the liberal media isn't giving this a glance. Can you prove that you followed UPS' advice EVERY day, by following habits and taking 5-10 minutes to stretch and flex? Did you report issues as they occured?

UPS has a business to run. Simply because employees power steering and autos in a 97 contract doesn't mean UPS should scrap all of their vehicles and go auto (especially considering that unlike FedEx, UPS does NOT sell their vehicles to private individuals once they're out of the fleet). Have they've introduced any vehicles since 1998 that were standard? If not, your argument is dead. UPS is rightfully running their vehicles into attrition.

Oh, and you can thank the UNION for UPS giving you such old vehicles. Because labour is an employers number one cost, and UPS' labour costs are the largest in the industry, this means they have a significantly lower budget for things like vehicles, nice facilities, dedicated offices for supervisors, etc. FedEx pays their employees less, but they have nice uniforms (and a liberal manner of distributing them) and their power vehicles won't log more than 200 000 miles. Why? Because they can afford money on these kinds of things as it's not being spent on huge labour or healthcare costs.

satellitedriver

Where's the buyer beware for employees? Can the employee prove that it was the stick shift that caused carpral? If this is such a dire issue, why have I never heard of this from other employees or other centres? Hell, the liberal media isn't giving this a glance. Can you prove that you followed UPS' advice EVERY day, by following habits and taking 5-10 minutes to stretch and flex? Did you report issues as they occured?

UPS has a business to run. Simply because employees power steering and autos in a 97 contract doesn't mean UPS should scrap all of their vehicles and go auto (especially considering that unlike FedEx, UPS does NOT sell their vehicles to private individuals once they're out of the fleet). Have they've introduced any vehicles since 1998 that were standard? If not, your argument is dead. UPS is rightfully running their vehicles into attrition.

Oh, and you can thank the UNION for UPS giving you such old vehicles. Because labour is an employers number one cost, and UPS' labour costs are the largest in the industry, this means they have a significantly lower budget for things like vehicles, nice facilities, dedicated offices for supervisors, etc. FedEx pays their employees less, but they have nice uniforms (and a liberal manner of distributing them) and their power vehicles won't log more than 200 000 miles. Why? Because they can afford money on these kinds of things as it's not being spent on huge labour or healthcare costs.
Labor is always the number one cost of a business in the service industry. Your argument is flawed.
UPS has a lower cost per man hour than FEDEX. FEDEX pays about 75% less per driver but has 2 to 3 drivers covering the same area. Not much saving there. UPS labor costs are the largest in the industry because they employ the most people in the industry. Simple math.
Your comments on the nice uniforms and 200,000 miles on a delivery truck, do not even deserve a reply.
Healthcare cost is national problem not an industry problem.
UPS is running management into attrition faster than it is their vehicles.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Labor is always the number one cost of a business in the service industry. Your argument is flawed.
UPS has a lower cost per man hour than FEDEX. FEDEX pays about 75% less per driver but has 2 to 3 drivers covering the same area. Not much saving there. UPS labor costs are the largest in the industry because they employ the most people in the industry. Simple math.
Your comments on the nice uniforms and 200,000 miles on a delivery truck, do not even deserve a reply.
Healthcare cost is national problem not an industry problem.
UPS is running management into attrition faster than it is their vehicles.
Well, you need two drivers with UPS, too. You have an air driver and ground driver, and then there are air meets...

Labour is the number one cost for almost every company. It is for airlines. With the huge spike in fuel in the summer, fuel cost still didn't come close to their labour cost.

UPS pays for the employee's healthcare, while FX employees pay a portion of their earnings into it. UPS employees pay the union for these benefits, not the company.

satellitedriver

Well, you need two drivers with UPS, too. You have an air driver and ground driver, and then there are air meets...

Labour is the number one cost for almost every company. It is for airlines. With the huge spike in fuel in the summer, fuel cost still didn't come close to their labour cost.

UPS pays for the employee's healthcare, while FX employees pay a portion of their earnings into it. UPS employees pay the union for these benefits, not the company.
I deliver all my air. Air meets happen out of poor planning. Hell, everyone is paying more for fuel. UPS pays for our healthcare and the "REAMSTER" union screws the UPS employees and retirees with lower benifits than could be provided with the money UPS wastes giving to the "REAMSTERS".

helenofcalifornia

Fedex has a liberal way of distributing uniforms??? A Fedex driver told me that they are given a $200. allowance a year for uniforms. Liberal is getting a new uniform when you need it and not worrying if you are over your yearly budget.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I deliver all my air. Air meets happen out of poor planning. Hell, everyone is paying more for fuel. UPS pays for our healthcare and the "REAMSTER" union screws the UPS employees and retirees with lower benifits than could be provided with the money UPS wastes giving to the "REAMSTERS".
I wouldn't say poor planning, in our city, the domestic air cutoff (in the building and unloading) is 1830 and international is 1700. Huge routes, short staffed, and ground running 'til 2200, you can see why we need meets :).

Fedex has a liberal way of distributing uniforms??? A Fedex driver told me that they are given a $200. allowance a year for uniforms. Liberal is getting a new uniform when you need it and not worrying if you are over your yearly budget.
My station, it was "fill in the form, hand it to me, you'll get your uniform order within 4 business days on the driver's seat of your truck when you show up in the morning". No questions asked. I have a few of the old reflective vests which are warm, well cut, have perfectly placed pockets for the hands. perfect to wear on the twilight sort.

DS

Fenderbender
I wouldn't say poor planning, in our city, the domestic air cutoff (in the building and unloading) is 1830 and international is 1700. Huge routes, short staffed, and ground running 'til 2200, you can see why we need meets :).
Hoser,Calgary,is not the epicenter of ups.
Nobody wants to work thier ass off there for $5 more
than every other ups driver in Canada because they
can get a much easier job for the same money.
If you dont call drivers rolling in at 10:00 PM every
night poor planning then what is good planning?
I bet if the suits all browned up every day we could
get them all in by 8:00.
Even the corporate dudes like you wanna be someday.
Did you meet Tyrone?

helloitsme

I thought you cannuks believed in socialized medicine....what is GST now ...?:tongue_sm

moreluck

golden ticket member
In case anyone wondered.....:)

The Random House Dictionary notes that: "The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian. This was probably the original meaning, though in Canada and other countries, Canuck now more often refers to any Canadian."