Drivers with shoulder and neck injuries from non-power steering vehicles

tieguy

Banned
I don't think Tie ever had an 'elevated position'. He's in management; not out of insecurity, desire to experience tyranny, or due to a flaw in his character. Management is for some people and not for some people, just as much as the front line is for some people and not for some people. You tend to label people as being 'with you' or 'against you'. If they're 'against you' (ala supervisor or manager), no matter how much they may say something you agree with (if you even bother reading and contemplating their point), you dismiss them because they're 'one of them'.

Someone is a supervisor, and therefore they don't know what they're talking about and they should be dismissed without even assessing their argument or point. Thus far, I don't think this is deliberate or your intention, but you really rub off this way.

Good point. Trick and i often dance around these issues and when alas I feel the need to disagree with him he often pulls my membership card to the "management that is okay" club. :thumbup1:

twnjrspc

Hi I`m a full-time Driver of 22 years. As of Feb 2006 my statious became disabled. I was driving a P-500 when this accured. My accidental injury was a full rotator cuff tear to my left shoulder. A P-500 vehicle is also the cause of accidental injuries to my right shoulder and neck in Dec 2003. This type of vehicle, non-power steering, non-power brakes, streight-shift, old rundown, may be linked to pain in your hands and fingers (carpal-tunnel syndrome). Our jobs are demanding enough without adding the worry of the vehicle you are driving being a hazzard to your health. Anyone else feeling my PAIN???

dville, 22 years of Overexertion and Repetitive Motion most certainly has led to your problem. I do believe that the addition of power steering, and the lower step on the newer package cars should help reduce these types of injuries. However, for those that are still subjected to the daily use of the older equipment, may put some at risk.

Study of Serious Workplace Injuries Points to Mixed Results
November 18, 2004

CHICAGO – Risk managers and safety professionals got some bad news and good news about serious on-the-job injuries - those causing an employee to miss six or more days of work - from the latest findings of the annual Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index.

First, the bad news: The cost of these workplace injuries continues to soar, even after adjusting for medical and wage inflation. In fact, over half of the 12.1 percent increase between 1998 and 2002 happened in 2002, despite a drop in the number of serious injuries over those four years.

Now the good news: The ranking of the top nine causes of workplace injuries was the same for the past four years, giving risk and safety managers a clear roadmap for preventing the most expensive injuries.

“If you want to dramatically cut workers compensation costs, follow the numbers not the headlines,” notes Dr. Tom Leamon, Director of the Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety, who presented the 2004 Index’s findings at the National Workers Compensation and Disability Conference. “Understand why your employees get hurt and address these sources, rather than the latest safety fads. The top causes of injuries identified by the Index may not make the front page, but they’re probably driving your costs.”

Findings

The top 10 workplace injuries in 2002 were:

Injury Type: Cost: Percentage: Overexertion $13.2 billion 26.6 % Falls on Same Level $6.2 billion 12.5 % Bodily Reaction $5.3 billion 10.8 % Falls to Lower Level $4.6 billion 9.2 % Struck by Object $4.4 billion 8.9 % Repetitive Motion $2.8 billion 5.7 % Highway Incident $2.6 billion 5.2 % Struck against Object $2.3 billion 4.7 % Caught in or Compressed by $1.9 billion 3.8 % Assaults $0.4 billion 0.9 % All Other $5.8 billion 11.7 % Total $49.6 billion 100 %
Other highlights from the latest study include:
  • The top three injury causes (Overexertion, Falls on Same Level and Bodily Reaction):
    • Represent 50 percent of the total cost of serious workplace injuries in 2002, costing employers about $25 billion a year or $500 million a week
    • Are the fastest growing of all injury costs. Costs for each of the top three rose 3.8 percent, 5.9 percent and 11.8 percent, respectively, between 2001 and 2002. Between 1998 and 2002, costs for each rose 16.4 percent, 25.7 percent and 28.7 percent, respectively
  • Serious work-related injuries cost employers almost $1 billion per week in 2002 in payments to injured workers and their medical care providers, growing to $49.6 billion from $46.1 billion in 2001
  • The number of serious work-related injuries fell 0.7 percent in 2002 from 2001, and 7.8 percent between 1998 and 2002
Take Action
So what can risk and safety managers do to control the impact of fewer but more expensive serious workplace injuries, the bad news from the latest Index findings?

Quite a bit.

“Workplace injuries aren’t inevitable,” explains Dr. Leamon. “Risk and safety managers improve safety every day. And significantly - one Liberty Mutual workers compensation client cut serious repetitive motion claims by 58 percent in two years. But nothing happens without a plan.

“And those plans that have the greatest impact share five key steps. Identify the injuries that drive your workers compensation costs, using the Index as a starting point. Prioritize the ones you want to address. Set clear targets for reducing each injury. Put in place the tactics and training that will prevent these injuries. And regularly track performance and update the plan.”

More information on the latest Workplace Safety Index findings and improving workplace safety is available at www.libertymutual.com.

How the study works
The 2004 Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index is reported by the Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety. It analyzes data from 1998 though 2002.

For each study, researchers combine workers compensation information from Liberty Mutual, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics and the National Academy of Social Insurance to provide a broad perspective on the causes and costs of serious workplace injuries.

About Liberty Mutual
Boston-based Liberty Mutual Group (LMG) is a leading global insurer and sixth largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S. whose largest line of business is personal auto based on 2003 direct written premium. As of December 31, 2003, LMG had $64.4 billion in consolidated assets and $16.6 billion in annual consolidated revenue and ranked 116th on the Fortune 500 list of largest corporations in the United States for 2003.

In 2001 and 2002 LMG reorganized into a mutual holding company structure. The three principal mutual companies of the group, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, Liberty Mutual Fire Insurance Company and Employers Insurance Company of Wausau, each became separate stock insurance companies under the ownership of Liberty Mutual Holding Company, Inc. This structure provides LMG with better capital market access and greater strategic flexibility to pursue acquisitions and alliances, while aligning its legal structure with its operating structure and preserving mutuality.
LMG offers a wide range of insurance products and services, including personal automobile, homeowners, workers compensation, commercial multiple peril, commercial automobile, general liability, global specialty, group disability, assumed reinsurance, fire and surety.

LMG employs nearly 38,000 people in nearly 900 offices throughout the world.

1 Overexertion – Injuries caused from excessive lifting, pushing, pulling et cetera.
2 Bodily Reaction – Injuries from bending, slipping or tripping without falling.
3 Struck by Object – Such as a tool falling on a worker from above.

4 Repetitive Motion – Injuries due to repeated stress or strain.
5 Struck Against Object – Such as a worker walking into a door frame.

helloitsme

Few more to be lost when customers find out that their truckers trying to organize in a labour market that is overwhelmingly non-union.

Is that what the company tells you hoser ? I have heard that line from every company that I have driven for ! I had personal experience with ex-brown management at my previous employer,and they are the main reason I left there ! And I LIKED my job there. No, it was not easy and no, I was not lazy. After I left..the company asked this fellow to re-sign. Judging from the posts from management on this board...why would I want to work for UPS management WITHOUT representation ? Will they send you folks to be de-programed from the Storm Trooper Of Death mentality that you seem to have ? I strongly believe that UPS does not know how to run a non-union business.

trickpony1

"I strongly believe that UPS does not know how to run a non-union business".

If I had said that tieguy and hoser would have written it off as me being a disgruntled employee but for it to come from another source? hmmmm........

I agree completely. They can't run a union business without constant upheavel, continual unnecessary stress and management with no people skills.
The workers need controls in place to deal with the overzealous ignorant a##es they promote.

So what would make a reasonable person think they could run a non-union business?

browned out

"I strongly believe that UPS does not know how to run a non-union business".

If I had said that tieguy and hoser would have written it off as me being a disgruntled employee but for it to come from another source? hmmmm........

I agree completely. They can't run a union business without constant upheavel, continual unnecessary stress and management with no people skills.
The workers need controls in place to deal with the overzealous ignorant a##es they promote.

So what would make a reasonable person think they could run a non-union business?
I am pretty sure that no hourlys are posting of company time but how 'bout management?

browned out

This was a general remark. I was not singling anyone out. no need to justify. Good gig if you are a feeder driver. We had a feeder driver get discharged because he was not reviewing his HABITS training while waiting for his trailers to be loaded. Got his job back after a couple months. Work as directed, I guess.

trickpony1

This was a general remark. I was not singling anyone out. no need to justify. Good gig if you are a feeder driver. We had a feeder driver get discharged because he was not reviewing his HABITS training while waiting for his trailers to be loaded. Got his job back after a couple months. Work as directed, I guess.

Sounds like that feeder driver was the target of a witchhunt, you know, one of those things that management swears never happens. In 28 years, I've never heard of such a half-assed excuse to fire anyone, let alone a long time, faithful employee. So much for respect and dignity. I hope he got backpay. I would have held out for back pay.

tieguy

Banned
Yes I am,and no that is not true. Lowe's is our largest customer and they pay the rent for UPSF. We take very good care of them.

Then perhaps you could explain why your company is losing so much money for us. And then explain how you plan to earn your keep since you are so afraid of UPS management coming in. :thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
Sounds like that feeder driver was the target of a witchhunt, you know, one of those things that management swears never happens. In 28 years, I've never heard of such a half-assed excuse to fire anyone, let alone a long time, faithful employee. So much for respect and dignity. I hope he got backpay. I would have held out for back pay.

and you might have lost.

Lets see the abitrator says. Trickpony the company asked you to read safety training information when ever you had down time and you felt you did not need to comply with those instructions so you blatantly disregarded those instructions? And you now claim to be a long time faith ful employee when the company is willing to train you on safety while you sit on your rear and you refuse to comply.

YOu would be real lucky to get your job back much less back pay.

trickpony1

and you might have lost.

Lets see the abitrator says. Trickpony the company asked you to read safety training information when ever you had down time and you felt you did not need to comply with those instructions so you blatantly disregarded those instructions? And you now claim to be a long time faith ful employee when the company is willing to train you on safety while you sit on your rear and you refuse to comply.

YOu would be real lucky to get your job back much less back pay.

For all the young, impressionable, innocent and wide-eyed youngsters on this message board that don't understand why we (the workers) need a third party (a union) to intercede on our behalf....this is a prime example.
The only reason a manager would instruct the driver(s) to read safety crap while on "down time" would be so the driver would have to punch "other activities-training" on his IVIS. This accomplishes several things:
-the company can show outside agencies how much time is spent "training" employees. This impresses OSHA and, more importantly;
-it lowers the drivers "on property" "turn around" time thereby making the manager's numbers look good and results in the manager getting a bigger "bone us" (misspelled? I dunno).
I have to question why the driver was fired for two months instead of progressive discipline (warning letter) unless there was an example to be made by this. I bet the morale of that feeder dept went right down the tubes at that point.
I don't have a problem with training. The company should be compelled to provide an environment that is conducive to learning. This DOES NOT include:
-standing under the slide in a noisy, dirty, dimly lit hub or;
-sitting in a cramped, cold, dimly lit feeder truck while waiting for someone else (the loaders) to do their job (get the load ready).
One would think a comfortable, well lighted and climate-controlled office with a table and chairs would be more conducive to the employee absorbing the cherished material. The PT supe can come get the driver when his load is ready.

You see it works both ways.

.....but what do I know.....I don't wear a tie.

tieguy

Banned
For all the young, impressionable, innocent and wide-eyed youngsters on this message board that don't understand why we (the workers) need a third party (a union) to intercede on our behalf....this is a prime example.
The only reason a manager would instruct the driver(s) to read safety crap while on "down time" would be so the driver would have to punch "other activities-training" on his IVIS. This accomplishes several things:
-the company can show outside agencies how much time is spent "training" employees. This impresses OSHA and, more importantly;
-it lowers the drivers "on property" "turn around" time thereby making the manager's numbers look good and results in the manager getting a bigger "bone us" (misspelled? I dunno).

And here you have a classic example of a trickpony spouting off like an expert on something he knows absolutely nothing about. The fact is OSHA could care less about how much time we code to training. What they do want to see is whether Trickpony knows the answers to specific safety questions. this is required safety training which trickpony labeled safety crap. It does not matter whether trick pony thinks its safety crap or not he is asked to read it and learn it. you don't need a union to protect you. just do the job.

I have to question why the driver was fired for two months instead of progressive discipline (warning letter) unless there was an example to be made by this. I bet the morale of that feeder dept went right down the tubes at that point.
I don't have a problem with training. The company should be compelled to provide an environment that is conducive to learning. This DOES NOT include:
-standing under the slide in a noisy, dirty, dimly lit hub or;
-sitting in a cramped, cold, dimly lit feeder truck while waiting for someone else (the loaders) to do their job (get the load ready).
One would think a comfortable, well lighted and climate-controlled office with a table and chairs would be more conducive to the employee absorbing the cherished material. The PT supe can come get the driver when his load is ready.

You see it works both ways.

Not really. You can safely memorize the material as the supervisor instructed. This issue is osha required and not up for negotiations. You don't wear the tie because you don't want the heartache. But yet you sniper everyone who tries to manage real issues. Based on this answer you give I would say you really need to study the issue much much more.

Last edited:

helloitsme

Then perhaps you could explain why your company is losing so much money for us. And then explain how you plan to earn your keep since you are so afraid of UPS management coming in. :thumbup1:

Losing money....you are sadly mistaken.We lost money in the Third quarter,mostly due to marrying the Motor Cargo and Overnite networks,which caused some service delays. BTW...I earn my keep just fine. I work for a living.Have you ever done my job tie ? No,didn't think you could cut it any way (haha). The only thing that parcel and freight have in common is that we both use trucks to move shipments. The profit margin in freight is nothing compared to small package. How much freight experience do you have tie ? Have you ever worked in freight operations as a grunt before you became management at parcel ?

The freight business is a totally different animal,tieguy. And in a non-union enviroment,you can't be as liberal with your anti-worker feelings,unless,you would like the NLRB breathing down your neck.

See tie...I am an independant thinker...I have been working idependently for years,without management having to stand over me and hold my hand.:thumbup1:

hoser

Industrial Slob
Is that what the company tells you hoser ? I have heard that line from every company that I have driven for ! I had personal experience with ex-brown management at my previous employer,and they are the main reason I left there ! And I LIKED my job there. No, it was not easy and no, I was not lazy. After I left..the company asked this fellow to re-sign. Judging from the posts from management on this board...why would I want to work for UPS management WITHOUT representation ? Will they send you folks to be de-programed from the Storm Trooper Of Death mentality that you seem to have ? I strongly believe that UPS does not know how to run a non-union business.
I'm not saying anyone's lazy, I'm not accusing anyone either. You're over reacting. What I am saying, is that from the client's perspective, the operational perspective, all things being equal, they're going for the owner operator who wouldn't mind cutting a corner and driving 10 hours straight in a juristiction where 8 hours is the max. That kind of thing.

Further to the UPS management non-representation stuff, I don't care. There are labour laws that protect me. I have a lot more faith in the laws (and a labour lawyer) than a union that sucks 3 hours pay out of me a month.

Storm trooper mentality? Comparing people who want more in life and their job to the SS? This proves that you're so imbalanced, you're not worthy of a reply...yet I replied.

Lastly, you're right, UPS does not know how to run a non-union business. Unions are the result of that company's corporate culture. If UPS tried really hard, they could manage to run frieight as a non-unionized organization. But they would cringe at the lower productivity. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

whenever you acquire a company, especially a company entering the UPS family, it's gonna be bloated. it's going to be structurally differernt, and this is going to require restructuring. it's gonna take time, and it's gonna cost money.

look at FX's acquisition of its freight unit, ground unit, and print/copy unit. not to mention that FX was smart enough to acquire a respectable print/copy company like kinkos (if you need to photocopy stuff at 4 am, where do you go? if you need 500 brocures printed, who do you call? if you want a huge vinyl sign made, who do you summon? MBE doesn't come to mind...)

or look at UPS' SCS. great unit, just having the fat trimmed. give it a few years, and stop acting like a bloody investor in the depression era.

Last edited: