Driving for 40+ years?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have a guy in our building with 40 years, and last year we had a 40+ year package driver retire. They both have/had high-mileage rural routes. I will be eligible to retire at age 50 with 30 years of service (29 as a driver) thanks to PEER 80, and my plan is to supplement my pension by driving a school bus. I will have to wait and see what happens with health care though, my wife has pre exisiting conditions so I may need to stay on a while longer at UPS.

cheeks

I see, you aint even know it has trolled his way into another blog he aint even know nothing about.

​Beats me why, but some think theyl have nothing better to do without Brown. Have one in our center that's waiting for his wife to get into retirement age and he's tearing the sheit outta himself doing it. . I'm just wanting to get to my 55 w/35 so I can find something fun that doesn't tear me up more.

purplesky

What do you mean by "I don't think his body can make it....."? Dude, the job is easy, why do you think that many women can do it, even better than their male counterpart ft drivers? But if he was working inside as an unloader or loader, oh lordy lordy, he would be demolished. Why do you think that when drivers are laid off they don't have the audacity to bump an inside loader or unloader? Because the physical demands for pt inside jobs overshadowed the weakness of driving ft. Why do people get so fat by driving? Because its easy. Do you see any loader or unloader getting fatter? No. The only benefit drivers deserve is a gym benefit - to cut some of that fat off. Drivers shouldn't be paid more than $20 when you got skilled workers such as mechanics, engineers and construction workers who are far more skilled than them and work 20x more harder than them and are only getting $13 and $18 an hour. It isn't fair. That's why I support Hoffa.

This troll NEEDS TO BE BANNED. :wink2:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Your so dumb Mr. Trollhead im glad im not as dumb as you. With that idiot attitude youll never make it to drivin son. I guarantee that it will overwhelm you without a doubt.

Cementups

Box Monkey
:dissapointed:

Why would anybody want to work longer than he/she has to is beyond me...The advantage to retiring as soon as eligible is you can still get your retirement benefits and if you want you can get another less stressful/ physical job elsewhere if you NEED to keep working.....A good freind of mine in Local 177 who was planning on retiring the end of August, I believe he was waiting for his birthday, was working inside off the road filling in for one of the clerks..Got done, went home and was power washing his house in the morning. His wife found him dead in the yard, possible heart attack..Never had the chance to retire......So why put off retiring?? You may never get the chance to...............:dissapointed:

My dad did 27 years in the State Police and retired just after he turned 50. 1.5 years later he had a heart attack while out with some friends running. Sometimes it's just your time.

I plan on working here until I can't do it anymore really. I won't be in package car forever, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing. But I can't not work. I'll be broke in a week. Work keeps me from spending money.

brownboxman

I can't believe I am saying this I am retiring in 2 days! 25 yrs in. start vacation Thursday, Start pension Thursday. On vacation till Nov 9th. on health care thru the end of the yr. I am 55, no mortgage, no car payments. Wife working , going on her med Jan 1st. We have planned this thing for 25 yrs and its here! Very blessed!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Since most people can live well into their 80-90's , it makes good sense to keep working until you hit 70 , because while you still earn a weekly check , all those other benefits kick in with no penalties ; SS & pension .

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We have a guy in our building with 40 years, and last year we had a 40+ year package driver retire. They both have/had high-mileage rural routes. I will be eligible to retire at age 50 with 30 years of service (29 as a driver) thanks to PEER 80, and my plan is to supplement my pension by driving a school bus. I will have to wait and see what happens with health care though, my wife has pre exisiting conditions so I may need to stay on a while longer at UPS.

Sober, curious why you have chosen driving school bus....also what do you project your pension will be per month???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I can't believe I am saying this I am retiring in 2 days! 25 yrs in. start vacation Thursday, Start pension Thursday. On vacation till Nov 9th. on health care thru the end of the yr. I am 55, no mortgage, no car payments. Wife working , going on her med Jan 1st. We have planned this thing for 25 yrs and its here! Very blessed![/QUOT
Brown, if you don't mind me asking how much will your pension be as I am in the western conference also and just trying to get an idea..congrats...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, curious why you have chosen driving school bus....also what do you project your pension will be per month???

Pension-rough estimate something like 5 to 6K per month, depending upon where we are at with health care in 2017 and how my wife and I want to set up survivorship benefits.

As far as driving a school bus goes--its easier on the body, no long hours, summers and weekends off. My uncle retired as a teacher and got a job driving the school bus just for extra money. He liked it for the same reasons. Plus when the weather is good you get up at 5:00 AM, do your morning run, and have time for 18 holes of golf before your afternoon run. I could deal with that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Pension-rough estimate something like 5 to 6K per month, depending upon where we are at with health care in 2017 and how my wife and I want to set up survivorship benefits.

As far as driving a school bus goes--its easier on the body, no long hours, summers and weekends off. My uncle retired as a teacher and got a job driving the school bus just for extra money. He liked it for the same reasons. Plus when the weather is good you get up at 5:00 AM, do your morning run, and have time for 18 holes of golf before your afternoon run. I could deal with that.
I like the school bus idea, and with driving for ups should give you an advantage in getting a job..

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Have you thought about working part time as a peak seasonal driver? 2 months a year.?

The Milkman

I can't believe I am saying this I am retiring in 2 days! 25 yrs in. start vacation Thursday, Start pension Thursday. On vacation till Nov 9th. on health care thru the end of the yr. I am 55, no mortgage, no car payments. Wife working , going on her med Jan 1st. We have planned this thing for 25 yrs and its here! Very blessed!

Good for you!!!:peaceful::peaceful:

stealth8

Some pension plans don't allow you to take on a driving position in retirement. Make sure you read the small print in your plan because different locals have stipulations on what you can and can't do as employment in your retirement years. Congrats