Driving for 40+ years?

kingOFchester

One thing to keep in mind, our pension is a defined pension. If you retire at 55, the dollar amount you walk out with will be the same amount you get when you are 80.

You have to factor in inflation. Someone who retired 25 years ago, their dollar is worth almost half of what it is today.

$4,000 of 1988 dollars would be worth: $7,905.14 in 2013

$4,000 of 2013 dollars would be worth $2,024.00 in 1988

At the rate of inflation, if you retired today with a 4k pension, in 25 years you would need a payment of $7,905.14 to have the same buying power that your 4k today gives you. Just something to consider when planning on retirement.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Plus, if your ex thinks she has checks coming once you get to 30 years, every month is a bonus! Ha Ha Ha, you get NOTHING wench! That fat jaw of yours will drop like a cartoon when no money comes rolling in!

Nimnim

The Nim
Pension-rough estimate something like 5 to 6K per month, depending upon where we are at with health care in 2017 and how my wife and I want to set up survivorship benefits.

As far as driving a school bus goes--its easier on the body, no long hours, summers and weekends off. My uncle retired as a teacher and got a job driving the school bus just for extra money. He liked it for the same reasons. Plus when the weather is good you get up at 5:00 AM, do your morning run, and have time for 18 holes of golf before your afternoon run. I could deal with that.

You should move to my area, there's a good golf course within 2-3 miles driving distance from the school bus depot.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Pension-rough estimate something like 5 to 6K per month, depending upon where we are at with health care in 2017 and how my wife and I want to set up survivorship benefits.

As far as driving a school bus goes--its easier on the body, no long hours, summers and weekends off. My uncle retired as a teacher and got a job driving the school bus just for extra money. He liked it for the same reasons. Plus when the weather is good you get up at 5:00 AM, do your morning run, and have time for 18 holes of golf before your afternoon run. I could deal with that.

Driving a school bus ruins your day twice. If I work anywhere it will be Tues to Thurs, 10 to 2 indoors.

Notretiredyet

My hope is to retire in 2017 with 39yrs at UPS, seven years later than my original plan. With the TA that's approx $3600month plus whatever my 7yrs PT is worth. I'll be 59 in 2017 and have no desire to work anywhere else to supplement my income, so I decided to stay the extra years now so I can spend my 60's doing whatever I enjoy. Thru the years I've watched many co-workers retire at the first chance they had only to get another job without the benefits and pay that UPS provides. A few have done well, doing something less physical with regular hours and I'm happy for them. But on the flip side many of them are struggling to get by on the money they get from their pension, and now are worried the benefits they left with years ago will be cut when the CS pension fund fails. Working these extra years has given me the opportunity to retire without debt and a lot more money in my 401K. I'm sorry for the PT waiting for this dinosaur to leave that wants to replace me, but hope they understand my reasons for sticking around so long.

rod

Retired 22 years
My hope is to retire in 2017 with 39yrs at UPS, seven years later than my original plan. With the TA that's approx $3600month plus whatever my 7yrs PT is worth. I'll be 59 in 2017 and have no desire to work anywhere else to supplement my income, so I decided to stay the extra years now so I can spend my 60's doing whatever I enjoy. Thru the years I've watched many co-workers retire at the first chance they had only to get another job without the benefits and pay that UPS provides. A few have done well, doing something less physical with regular hours and I'm happy for them. But on the flip side many of them are struggling to get by on the money they get from their pension, and now are worried the benefits they left with years ago will be cut when the CS pension fund fails. Working these extra years has given me the opportunity to retire without debt and a lot more money in my 401K. I'm sorry for the PT waiting for this dinosaur to leave that wants to replace me, but hope they understand my reasons for sticking around so long.

What ever works for you but I have to admit I really enjoyed my 50's being retired.

The Milkman

What ever works for you but I have to admit I really enjoyed my 50's being retired.

Left at 55 while still alive and kickin........never know when the dirt nap begins so enjoy your time while you have it..Can't buy time. Did not want to waste mine hanging around for more $$$ which you cant take with you anyway.........:peaceful:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Plus, if your ex thinks she has checks coming once you get to 30 years, every month is a bonus! Ha Ha Ha, you get NOTHING wench! That fat jaw of yours will drop like a cartoon when no money comes rolling in!

I've heard of plenty of guys that say they will work til the day they die so she never sees a dime.

RitchieDavies

Trollkiller
I can't believe I am saying this I am retiring in 2 days! 25 yrs in. start vacation Thursday, Start pension Thursday. On vacation till Nov 9th. on health care thru the end of the yr. I am 55, no mortgage, no car payments. Wife working , going on her med Jan 1st. We have planned this thing for 25 yrs and its here! Very blessed!

Good luck, man! I'm happy for you. Have fun, you earned it!

oldupsman

Some pension plans don't allow you to take on a driving position in retirement. Make sure you read the small print in your plan because different locals have stipulations on what you can and can't do as employment in your retirement years. Congrats

Around here school bus drivers are mostly union. We have some in our local. Our local keeps a close eye to see if any retirees are taking
driving jobs that directly compete againist union companies. Strictly a no no.

newfups

In regard to the OP about the 40 year employee sticking around due to having a 7 y.o. dependent, did anyone else hear this? Back at the meeting at our local pre-vote, the one where they "explained" how "good" the tentative agreement was, it was brought up that if you retired prior to 1/1/2014, you would continue your heath benefits under the UPS plan. ONE of the perks of doing that was that under UPS, dependents ARE COVERED EVEN IN RETIREMENT. They went on to explain that in the new Teamcare plan, retiree dependents would NOT be covered upon retirement. This is actually very pertinent to my situation, so after the meeting I approached the officers to make sure that I was understanding what they were saying correctly, which they repeated and said I did understand correctly. For those of us that started our families later than the norm, this is a HUGE considerstion if we have the time time in and can retire prior to 1/1/2014. Could this be one of the many details that vary by region, I wonder? If I were the subject of the OP, I would definitely want a clarification.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
The day after I am eligible to retire you will fond me in my back yard burning UPS uniforms, hats, on call bags and dancing around like like I am on fire!

The day after that i am going to go down to the beach and sell bait!

40 years . . . whats wrong with these people?

Indecisi0n

The day after I am eligible to retire you will fond me in my back yard burning UPS uniforms, hats, on call bags and dancing around like like I am on fire!

The day after that i am going to go down to the beach and sell bait!

40 years . . . whats wrong with these people?

What's an on call bag? Rain bag?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
What's an on call bag? Rain bag?

Its red messenger style bag that UPS handed out when they rolled out on call pick ups. It is actually designed pretty well to hold evnvelopes, shipping documents and the like. A lot of people in my center still have them in their PCs filled with supplies.