Driving over 60 hours

KOG72

I’m full of it
70 hours only under certain conditions. The company will let you know if we are on a 70 hour schedule.

Just remember the few basic rules. You must be off if the road before you hit 14 hours including lunch and breaks.

You must have 10 hours off duty before you can start driving again.

Any other part time job counts towards your 60 hours and the 10 hour off duty time.

You must have 34 hours off before your 60 hours restart.
Agree

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
70 hours only under certain conditions. The company will let you know if we are on a 70 hour schedule.

Just remember the few basic rules. You must be off if the road before you hit 14 hours including lunch and breaks.

Any other part time job counts towards your 60 hours and the 10 hour off duty time.

A SUP said that you can’t be behind the wheel after 14hours is that true? I asked how does DOT determine this if you’re coded package driver. He said they would attach a message in their report saying driver was relieved from being behind the wheel etc.

A SUP said that you can’t be behind the wheel after 14hours is that true? I asked how does DOT determine this if you’re coded package driver. He said they would attach a message in their report saying driver was relieved from being behind the wheel etc.
Trust me, you don't wanna break these rules. Management is usually pretty good at keeping an eye in that buts it's your responsibility.

Brisket

Just started and there’s talk about 70 hours is the new 60 for the work week. Wasn’t sure what was what, that’s why I’m asking, So that I will be familiar with the DOT regulations.

Have you been to class?! I am almost sure it’s covered there.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Trust me, you don't wanna break these rules. Management is usually pretty good at keeping an eye in that buts it's your responsibility.

Absolutely, I totally get that. I’m just trying to make sure. So do you have any knowledge about my previous statement?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I will never work over 60 hours. I won't even let them get me close this time of year. Anything north of 40-45 by the end of Thursday and they would get a call in on Friday.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The 70 hour rule is also on an 8 day cycle. Meaning if you max out your 70 hours in 6 days, you can't work for 34 hours after that, even though that makes it less than an 8 day cycle, so that's a little confusing. The 34 hour reset is actually voluntary, and makes it so you can reset your hours at any point during the week, which is especially helpful for longhaul truckers, not necessarily for UPS drivers. The 34 hours is not required to reset your hours at the end of the week. According to the DOT 60 hr rule UPS could work us 7 8+/hour days every week, as long as we got 10 hrs between each shift. Or, under the 70 hr rule they could work us 9 hr days for 7 days, then 7 hours on the 8th day, then we would reset the next day.

Johney

I believe you are allowed 1 16 hour day in your 60.

I believe you are allowed 1 16 hour day in your 60.
Not here. The only exception I know which does not apply to us is basically for independent contractors. They still have to be done in 14 hours but I believe they have some extra time if they take their vehicle home with them.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The 70 hour rule is also on an 8 day cycle. Meaning if you max out your 70 hours in 6 days, you can't work for 34 hours after that, even though that makes it less than an 8 day cycle, so that's a little confusing. The 34 hour reset is actually voluntary, and makes it so you can reset your hours at any point during the week, which is especially helpful for longhaul truckers, not necessarily for UPS drivers. The 34 hours is not required to reset your hours at the end of the week. According to the DOT 60 hr rule UPS could work us 7 8+/hour days every week, as long as we got 10 hrs between each shift. Or, under the 70 hr rule they could work us 9 hr days for 7 days, then 7 hours on the 8th day, then we would reset the next day.
Wow people make this stuff way more complicated than it is.

Johney

Not here. The only exception I know which does not apply to us is basically for indeoindepe contractors. They still have to be done in 14 hours but I believe they have some extra time if they take their vehicle home with them.
I'm pretty sure the 16 hour rule is a DOT rule so that would be everywhere.