Driving over 60 hours

Inthegame

There is actually two 16 hour exceptions. The 150 air mile radius previously posted and the 16 hour adverse weather exception for those outside of 150 miles radius from the home location. This one gets tricky as one must not be used to dispatch over 16 if adverse weather was known.

Last edited:

Zowert

10 minutes and game misconduct? I don’t know what that means.

Hockey penalties. A 10 minute misconduct plus a game means you did something really bad, like checking from behind or throwing a hit with intent to injure. The dude pictured in my avatar served more time in the penalty box than he did on the ice.

maxicoze

Why would you want to do that?

i'm not saying i WANT to do that [although when i first started(at $17.40/hr) and had some difficulty paying credit card bills, YES, i would have wanted to do that.......], but i was just unclear on the legality of it.

What i understand so far:
1) IF you make it back to the terminal in 14 hours or under, then you could work indefinitely on the dock. You would just need 10 hours off duty in order to be legal to drive again.

2) IF you make it back to the terminal AFTER 14 hours(while still not exceeding 11 hrs drive time) but IN or before 16 hours, then you absolutely must be released from duty at the 16th hour? And CANNOT legally perform paid work and/or be on duty past the 16th hour?

To me, if you look at #1, then #2 doesn't make sense from a safety standpoint; 10hr break should cover it..........?

Inthegame

Hockey penalties. A 10 minute misconduct plus a game means you did something really bad, like checking from behind or throwing a hit with intent to injure. The dude pictured in my avatar served more time in the penalty box than he did on the ice.
Hence the saying "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out"...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
then we would reset the next day

You would not reset. You would not have another 70 hours without a 34 hour reset.

In your scenario, once you reached day 9, day 1 hours would drop off your rolling 70 and you would have 8 hours available to work on day 9. So, yes, you have hours available, but not more than 8 hours each consecutive day.

Inthegame

You would not reset. You would not have another 70 hours without a 34 hour reset.

In your scenario, once you reached day 9, day 1 hours would drop off your rolling 70 and you would have 8 hours available to work on day 9. So, yes, you have hours available, but not more than 8 hours each consecutive day.
In his second scenario, he worked 9 hours (not 8) on day one which should come back as available hours on day 9 if he doesn't reset.
And to make it even more confusing, switch from a day run to an over midnight shift.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In his second scenario, he worked 9 hours (not 8) on day one which should come back as available hours on day 9 if he doesn't reset.
And to make it even more confusing, switch from a day run to an over midnight shift.

You are correct, sorry.

He has 9 hours available, not 8.

Inthegame

Air driver went over 60 one week during Peak. Fired him and he was back 2 days later.
Yep, and then UPS switched to the 70 hour clock midweek last peak, which means there was no violation by that driver.
How they could make that call without everyone restarting their clock still bewilders me.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
But in scenario one, you were correct.
Only one guy I know can figure hours without blinking. He goes by the handle 'bunny rabbitt'.
You might know him?

Don't know a Bunny Rabbit.

Yeah!

I WAS right in scenario 1. But I will never have a problem admitting that I was wrong or that I made a mistake.

I was referring to scenario 2, 70 hour rule, and on the 9th day, he would have 9 hours available and I said 8.

My mind was still on scenario 1, working 8 hours per day.

But the bottom line is still correct. The driver will not reset and have a fresh 70 available.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Gotcha, I was unclear on that. I was mostly focused on the fact that you don't actually have to take 34 hours off to keep working, even though that's pretty much how my management explains it. Perhaps I shouldn't give UPS any ideas...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Gotcha, I was unclear on that. I was mostly focused on the fact that you don't actually have to take 34 hours off to keep working, even though that's pretty much how my management explains it. Perhaps I shouldn't give UPS any ideas...

Correct.

You can work a "rolling" 60 or 70, and never reset with a 34 hour break. You just need to keep track of your hours and how many you have left, and how many "falls off" from 7 or 8 days ago.