Driving Position

I filled an application out online for a full-time temporary seasonal delivery driver position. I asked what type of vehicle I would be driving and the girl told me the biggest trucks she has seen for this type of work is maybe something along the lines of the p1000, p1200 or cargo vans (all of which I have driven before). So I went for my driving test and was put into a much longer truck than I would be driving, had no problem and would have passed until the end when I needed to back the truck into a parking spot. Between the glare on the camera and not being used to a truck that long I just kept missing the mark and failed because of it. I literally practiced for the test in my own Sprinter van and would have rented something as big as the truck I tested in just for an hour to practice if I knew that that's what I was going to be tested in. I asked if I can retest and was told not for one year. Is this how the standard road test goes at UPS

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I filled an application out online for a full-time temporary seasonal delivery driver position. I asked what type of vehicle I would be driving and the girl told me the biggest trucks she has seen for this type of work is maybe something along the lines of the p1000, p1200 or cargo vans (all of which I have driven before). So I went for my driving test and was put into a much longer truck than I would be driving, had no problem and would have passed until the end when I needed to back the truck into a parking spot. Between the glare on the camera and not being used to a truck that long I just kept missing the mark and failed because of it. I literally practiced for the test in my own Sprinter van and would have rented something as big as the truck I tested in just for an hour to practice if I knew that that's what I was going to be tested in. I asked if I can retest and was told not for one year. Is this how the standard road test goes at UPS
Learn to use the mirrors.

You can either back that thang up or not.

Good luck next time
I hear ya, I backed it up just couldn't get it straight. I appreciate your comment, but I still think if I could have at least driven a truck that size one time prior to this test I could have backed it up 100% correctly and passed. Oh well, what's done is done.

UnionStrong

I hear ya, I backed it up just couldn't get it straight. I appreciate your comment, but I still think if I could have at least driven a truck that size one time prior to this test I could have backed it up 100% correctly and passed. Oh well, what's done is done.
My driving test was in a p1000, which I’d never driven before, the supe made me drive in the city, traffic, tight streets, the whole :censored2:ty experience. Then back to the bldg for backing. I did have experience in other trucks, dump, stake body, but it’s all about confidence and mirrors. Better luck next time.

Used the mirrors, I personally don't like the backup cameras. Out of curiosity why do they tell you all the different model vehicles you could be driving for the test and then you show up and it's something totally different? I would have found something that big to get even 1 hour of practice in just to be sure I was comfortable for test. Road test was easy other than that.

UnionStrong

Used the mirrors, I personally don't like the backup cameras. Out of curiosity why do they tell you all the different model vehicles you could be driving for the test and then you show up and it's something totally different? I would have found something that big to get even 1 hour of practice in just to be sure I was comfortable for test. Road test was easy other than that.
Because you may get a different truck at any day of the week when you’re working.

My driving test was in a p1000, which I’d never driven before, the supe made me drive in the city, traffic, tight streets, the whole :censored2:ty experience. Then back to the bldg for backing. I did have experience in other trucks, dump, stake body, but it’s all about confidence and mirrors. Better luck next time.
Thanks I appreciate it. I wish they threw me in a p1000 today would have made all the difference! Peace out

Because you may get a different truck at any day of the week when you’re working.
Yep, I get that. I guess the people giving info for the test shouldn't be giving the possible models you'll be testing in unless they're going to include all of them. I know I can do the job and wouldn't have a problem driving that particular truck, but one bad parking job backing up caused me to fail the entire test. It just happened today and I guess I'm a little bitter is all.

Just sign up for car wash helper then park all the cars for free. You will get plenty of practice as long you don't break the mirror. Rubbing the bumper occasionally is fine lol

UnionStrong

Just sign up for car wash helper then park all the cars for free. You will get plenty of practice as long you don't break the mirror. Rubbing the bumper occasionally is fine lol
One mirror on the first day is acceptable, anymore and you’re days are numbered.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Is that what they told you?
Do you have reason to believe someone is lying?

Beat it @Barney your career at ups is over

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

I’ve been told they’re looking for “self starters”. If you show up day one expecting to be taught, you already failed. I had everything down before training started. 5’s and 10’s, pre trip, backing, everything. This is in a tractor trailer too I might add. All training is is them showing you the UPS way of doing it.

The pre training road test is strict. They are weeding out the guys that they think won’t make it before they waste the company’s time and money on training them. You now know what to expect, do your homework before the test next time. Good luck.

UndressedFedexed

DQd Day One
FedEx only requires a heartbeat to drive. Some their trucks don’t even have mirrors or breaks, just a steering wheel and a gas petal.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
We live and learn.

Next time... Go slow.

And get out to take a quick look.

You will never be faulted for double checking.

Whither

Scofflaw
Yep, I get that. I guess the people giving info for the test shouldn't be giving the possible models you'll be testing in unless they're going to include all of them. I know I can do the job and wouldn't have a problem driving that particular truck, but one bad parking job backing up caused me to fail the entire test. It just happened today and I guess I'm a little bitter is all.
I'm sorry, that sucks... unfortunately the company can be strict about that. I know a pkg car driver who tried to go to feeders (the UPS tractor-trailer operation) and was DQed over backing. He had one side of the trailer about 2 inches off the dock bumper. Meanwhile in my industrial area dockworkers sometimes don't blink if a driver leaves a 1 foot gap on one side of the trailer LOL. And in fairness, most of the docks/yards on my route weren't designed for 53 foot trailers.

There are days when I get my 1000 with a slightly-crooked back bumper flush at every single dock. Other days I'm off by a couple inches at several docks.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I'm sorry, that sucks... unfortunately the company can be strict about that. I know a pkg car driver who tried to go to feeders (the UPS tractor-trailer operation) and was DQed over backing. He had one side of the trailer about 2 inches off the dock bumper. Meanwhile in my industrial area dockworkers sometimes don't blink if a driver leaves a 1 foot gap on one side of the trailer LOL. And in fairness, most of the docks/yards on my route weren't designed for 53 foot trailers.

There are days when I get my 1000 with a slightly-crooked back bumper flush at every single dock. Other days I'm off by a couple inches at several docks.

I don’t think I’ve been 100% flush with a dock yet in my career