driving school/road test question

Cameron Formica

hey everybody I'm a UPSer in nashville tennessee at the massman hub. been with the company for about a year now. very interested in driving package cars. I have been asked by my hr rep about three times if I'm still interested in driving but I have had to tell him I can't drive stick shift every time. I'm trying to learn to drive manual but it is hard finding people to teach me. is it recommended to know how drive stick to an absolute T before you go to the driving school? I think I have a decent grasp at it but i'm definitely not a pro. also how does the driving school/road test order go? my hr guy said I would go to the class first, but i have heard of people in my hub take the driving test before going to the class. any information would be appreciated. thanks everybody!

barnyard

KTM rider
The automatics are turds. Right now, we have several that are red tagged because the 'check trans' light comes on and they go into limp mode. Plus, a manual is easier to drive in winter. I would like to see manuals come back.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From what I have read here standards are quickly becoming a thing of the past. There are none that I am aware of in the four facilities in Upstate NY.

Resident know-it-all.
Most if us still see them all over. Our center manager was auto DQ any part timer that said they couldn't drive a stick (mostly because he had a hard on for off the street hires). One pt got wind and said he could drive a stick when he couldn't. Got through school and all that jazz. Day 1 drove a block, called the center and said I lied can't drive a stick.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The automatics are turds. Right now, we have several that are red tagged because the 'check trans' light comes on and they go into limp mode. Plus, a manual is easier to drive in winter. I would like to see manuals come back.
You can have the stick shift, get a lot more done faster with an automatic easily.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Being a dude and telling somebody you cant drive a stick is about as worse as a dude telling somebody they never played sports or don't like the NFL, should go without saying lol.

S

selfcancelsignal

Most if us still see them all over. Our center manager was auto DQ any part timer that said they couldn't drive a stick (mostly because he had a hard on for off the street hires). One pt got wind and said he could drive a stick when he couldn't. Got through school and all that jazz. Day 1 drove a block, called the center and said I lied can't drive a stick.
LMAO! WOW! I didn't know how to drive one real well at first either, but good god, you hafta have some kind of grasp. Ask an OC supe or center manager if you can practice driving 1 around your hub/center after the preload wraps up. It's totally a rhythm thing, almost like a dance, that can take a little while to get used to. If you're worried about it dying, always just remember to push in the clutch. Borrow a friends manual car or pick up to practice on. Also, it sounds stupid, but there are actually a few YouTube videos that do a pretty good job demonstrating how to drive a manual.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

S

selfcancelsignal

Being a dude and telling somebody you cant drive a stick is about as worse as a dude telling somebody they never played sports or don't like the NFL, should go without saying lol.
I'm not sure I totally agree with you on this, Jump, the way Goodell continues to pussify the NFL.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'm not sure I totally agree with you on this, Jump, the way Goodell continues to pussify the NFL.

Still better than any other sport but I get what your saying. For the most part though I agree with what hes doing with the safety issue. Easy for the casual fan to say hes pussifying the game but the players just like the fans who watch them also have family to go home to and have to think about life after football. Like I always say its easy to think about the now but a smart person with good preparation skills thinks about the now and later, now

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't see the correlation between driving a manual and playing sports, or even liking them. :P

Even better, my mother is who taught me how to drive a manual when I was 14. She drove nothing but them growing up...'75 super beetle imported from Germany, Suburu wagon, etc.

UPSer171

hey everybody I'm a UPSer in nashville tennessee at the massman hub. been with the company for about a year now. very interested in driving package cars. I have been asked by my hr rep about three times if I'm still interested in driving but I have had to tell him I can't drive stick shift every time. I'm trying to learn to drive manual but it is hard finding people to teach me. is it recommended to know how drive stick to an absolute T before you go to the driving school? I think I have a decent grasp at it but i'm definitely not a pro. also how does the driving school/road test order go? my hr guy said I would go to the class first, but i have heard of people in my hub take the driving test before going to the class. any information would be appreciated. thanks everybody!

I work in the hub in San Antonio, and I had to take the road test before to get in the class. You do need to know how to drive standard, because most of the time it's always 50/50 chance your daily route may either come with a standard car or automatic. They will test you in a standard for sure though. I would say definitely practice it for awhile till you are comfortable in being smooth shifting gears. They're are real picky about that, and a lot of people end up not passing because they never had the experience. Definitely practice and develop a feel for the clutch before you start the road test. Once you have it down its second nature.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nolimitz

Learned to drive with a manual trans. Team sports NFL couch spuds suck imho. prefer water skiing, wake boarding, snow skiing. Guess I'm anti-social or prefer family and friends to sweaty jocks.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I was taught to drive a stick by a PT sup after preload. Every school that our center has sent people to has used a manual for the driving test.