Driving test ground.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I thought I knew what I was getting into and the test just made me realize that even though I love driving and the idea of delivering things I would need to practice in an actual box truck to pass the test. I learned there are blindspots in places that wouldn't normally bother me like the front corners of the truck would make the cones impossible to see so I had to keep a mental picture and try to go as tight up against a cone I couldn't see. Later on I learned how to not to oversteer. I really do love driving and delivery jobs. The trucks are neat and I heard the pay isn't bad. Failing hit me hard but I will practice tight turns forward and reverse and try again.

Oldfart

Thanks for the replies. I guess I thought I knew what I was getting into and the test just made me realize that even though I love driving and the idea of delivering things I would need to practice in an actual box truck to pass the test. I learned there are blindspots in places that wouldn't normally bother me like the front corners of the truck would make the cones impossible to see so I had to keep a mental picture and try to go as tight up against a cone I couldn't see. Later on I learned how to not to oversteer. I really do love driving and delivery jobs. The trucks are neat and I heard the pay isn't bad. Failing hit me hard but I will practice tight turns forward and reverse and try again.
Did they show you the blind spots around the frt and sides of the truck?

HUGE blind spots on the right sides and right frt corner on the truck. Up to 20 ft of area you just can't see.

FedGT

Here the best tip you will get. Keep your back wheels within 2-3” of the cone and as soon as the cone is in middle of the rear wheel (middle of rear wheel is your pivot point) crank the wheel all the way till you see the cone in your side mirror. Straighten the wheel so that you will be within a couple inches on the cone and repeat

It will be fine

Sounds like you don’t have driving experience. If you really want to do the job you can find a contractor that runs an entry level driving school and they can teach you how to drive a truck. I’ve had guys do that cone course for a few hours during their training. Just be absolutely sure you want to do the job for the money they offer, otherwise you’re just wasting their time.

It will be fine

Here the best tip you will get. Keep your back wheels within 2-3” of the cone and as soon as the cone is in middle of the rear wheel (middle of rear wheel is your pivot point) crank the wheel all the way till you see the cone in your side mirror. Straighten the wheel so that you will be within a couple inches on the cone and repeat
I try to drive over the flat part of the cone without tipping it over.

Express Courier

When I did my test at Express there were about 5 of us noobs all testing at the same time in the parking lot of the station I would be working in. Everyone else in the group was from out of town but it was my local station I would be working at. Anyway, yeah we did the cones and all the basic stuff. One gal failed the test if I remember correctly. She was the most cocky going into it too.

At least you know the test now so come back in a month like the person told you.

When I did my test at Express there were about 5 of us noobs all testing at the same time in the parking lot of the station I would be working in. Everyone else in the group was from out of town but it was my local station I would be working at. Anyway, yeah we did the cones and all the basic stuff. One gal failed the test if I remember correctly. She was the most cocky going into it too.

At least you know the test now so come back in a month like the person told you.

Man you guys were all noobs but you passed. I must be a sucky driver I don't even remember exactly how long the guy said I could come back to retake, I kinda zoned out somewhat, honestly never been this sad about failing at getting a job. I usually work minimum wage warehouse jobs and finally saw a way to finally be at a decent place in life.

Sounds like you don’t have driving experience. If you really want to do the job you can find a contractor that runs an entry level driving school and they can teach you how to drive a truck. I’ve had guys do that cone course for a few hours during their training. Just be absolutely sure you want to do the job for the money they offer, otherwise you’re just wasting their time.

Honestly wasting their time is what I did. I felt horrible walking away. They paid for my dot physical and drug test and also spent time on me with the whole hiring process even though I told them I've never driven a box truck. I really went into the test wanting not to let them down. Sucks more when the favorite thing you do is driving and you fail at it.

Star B

White Lightening
Man you guys were all noobs but you passed. I must be a sucky driver
The Express test is probably different than the ground test. In our defensive driving course, it's a two day thing. The final test is taking the training 900 out into the streets. Driving in streets, parking, turning, etc.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Honestly wasting their time is what I did. I felt horrible walking away. They paid for my dot physical and drug test and also spent time on me with the whole hiring process even though I told them I've never driven a box truck. I really went into the test wanting not to let them down. Sucks more when the favorite thing you do is driving and you fail at it.

If you feel that bad about it

See if they won’t let you reimburse them for the physical,drug test and wasted time

TNT Frosty

Oh man, you guys have "tests".. ouch, we have "assessments", mainly as once you have your license (CDL A B or C for you guys in america), you just get either an hour, or 5 hours with another driver, to see how confident you are behind the wheel, and if your open to take suggestions on driving, or knowing what your doing.
His not there to fail you, just make sure you feel ok to drive what vehicle they put you in for the day (as a floater)... starts off in a HR truck (3 axle rigid), then if your so-so... see how you go in a smaller MR truck (2 axle rigid)... anything smaller then that, he leave it for the trainers to say if that person can drive a company vehicle or not...
=========================
End of the day; this job isnt for everyone....
You see all types on the road thinking they can do it... but then most cant, they get too cocky for their own good
If this job was for everyone, we wouldn't have a job.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sucks more when the favorite thing you do is driving and you fail at it.
It's different out there when you're constantly behind the wheel and you deal with many many more idiots out on the road who shouldn't even have a driver's license. It's not relaxing like driving your own car on nice summer evening without a care in the world. It's not like a commute to work, parking your car for 8 hours then driving home. It's stressful for the most part when you do it to make a living, pure and simple.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I felt horrible walking away. They paid for my dot physical and drug test and also spent time on me with the whole hiring process even though I told them I've never driven a box truck.
Wow, they should've tested your driving ability before going for the DOT physical...

Yeah, I'm mainly in a 12' box in a rural area so I may be rusty in a tight suburbia or city setting.

Having a backup monitor helps my productivity since I don't have to G.O.A.L. when backing up to the garage

Mr Johnson should take this video down... why would you nose in that driveway if you can see the home from the street? Smh

Backing in, forgot turn signal/ hazard flashers & horn honk...

Nose in on a parking lot, no way I would do that as well

Last edited:

Oldfart

Wow, they should've tested your driving ability before going for the DOT physical...

Yeah, I'm mainly in a 12' box in a rural area so I may be rusty in a tight suburbia or city setting.

Having a backup monitor helps my productivity since I don't have to G.O.A.L. when backing up to the garage

Mr Johnson should take this video down... why would you nose in that driveway if you can see the home from the street? Smh

Backing in, forgot turn signal/ hazard flashers & horn honk...

Nose in on a parking lot, no way I would do that as well
Not sure about Ground but at Express you must have a DOT card before you take the class. You are driving the truck on the road and must have the proper license and government documentation.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
The op was going for a driver test/ assessment , not class/ training

In my terminal, they'll hop in with a BC or ao to determine if they are proficient enough not to kill someone