Drug testing

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Okay, karin.

Some folks like to smoke a joint after work and this is virtually harmless in comparison to alcohol. Unfortunately weed takes a lot of time to get out of your system, so when the company claims you're using on the job, it's nearly impossible to prove otherwise. The bill was signed into law under Reagan, and the war on drugs has done nothing but further impoverished communities. The amount of damage done by that man is immeasurable and generations will continue to be affected by his policy.

So no, it's not entirely that black and white as you would like it to be.
Wasn't talking to you.

Go away

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Okay, karin.

Some folks like to smoke a joint after work and this is virtually harmless in comparison to alcohol. Unfortunately weed takes a lot of time to get out of your system, so when the company claims you're using on the job, it's nearly impossible to prove otherwise. The bill was signed into law under Reagan, and the war on drugs has done nothing but further impoverished communities. The amount of damage done by that man is immeasurable and generations will continue to be affected by his policy.

The black and white of the matter is that UPS has a drug policy that terminates employees for positive tests. We all know this and if someone chooses to use and gets caught that is their fault.
Personally responsibility should be universal.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
The black and white of the matter is that UPS has a drug policy that terminates employees for positive tests. We all know this and if someone chooses to use and gets caught that is their fault.
I would add that employees, regardless of what company you work for, should be given a second and third chance at getting help with continued employment. If you're fired for a drug/alcohol addiction, you won't be able to get another job for years. Who is going to go through the agony of withdrawal homeless? Why would you get clean or sober when you cant get a job because of what is on your record? Who wants to be homeless without the only comfort you have left in the world? We now have an opioid crisis that is far worse than people can imagine, and it shows up in your community with higher crime rates to pay for the drug problems. So if you think you're safe because you dont do drugs, it will affect you at some point.

So yes, I agree with you but also the way we have been going about this has made the problem worse. Not better.

"Shortages of marijuana have been reported" -Reagan

Hilarious.

quad decade guy

Nor as
Okay, karin.

Or as simple as you submit. You make a lot of declarative statements there. Many of which are "virtually" your opinion. Speaking of "immeasurable", wait till you see the results of legalizing pot. We've already lost generations to it's illegal use.

quad decade guy

I would add that employees, regardless of what company you work for, should be given a second and third chance at getting help with continued employment. If you're fired for a drug/alcohol addiction, you won't be able to get another job for years. Who is going to go through the agony of withdrawal homeless? Why would you get clean or sober when you cant get a job because of what is on your record? Who wants to be homeless without the only comfort you have left in the world? We now have an opioid crisis that is far worse than people can imagine, and it shows up in your community with higher crime rates to pay for the drug problems. So if you think you're safe because you dont do drugs, it will affect you at some point.

So yes, I agree with you but also the way we have been going about this has made the problem worse. Not better.

"Shortages of marijuana have been reported" -Reagan

Hilarious.
Why just second and third chances? How about unlimited? How about UPS just paying a drugees salary and benefits. Perhaps free housing too. A drug user's "problems" start the day he/she decides to use drugs. Make's that choice. You sound like an inane liberal.

OMG

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
Why just second and third chances? How about unlimited? How about UPS just paying a drugees salary and benefits. Perhaps free housing too. A drug user's "problems" start the day he/she decides to use drugs. Make's that choice. You sound like an inane liberal.

OMG
I'm not a liberal. I try to not look at issues from a divisive red vs blue standpoint but rather, see then from one that will be beneficial generally speaking.

Portugal decriminalized all drugs, gave free housing to addicts and even supplied the drugs to addicts with no pressure to stop using. Initially there was an increase in drug use but has gone way down since meanwhile, our drug related crimes have skyrocketed. So, it's funny you mention that in your comment.
I think this is the video here

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike

OMG
Here's the video. It was actually Switzerland.

quad decade guy

I'm not a liberal. I try to not look at issues from a divisive red vs blue standpoint but rather, see then from one that will be beneficial generally speaking.

Portugal decriminalized all drugs, gave free housing to addicts and even supplied the drugs to addicts with no pressure to stop using. Initially there was an increase in drug use but has gone way down since meanwhile, our drug related crimes have skyrocketed. So, it's funny you mention that in your comment.
I think this is the video here
Ok. Why not put them in prison and make it memorable? You know hard labor. The other methods haven't worked. Not liberal? Sure sound like one. Say, you aren't one of those liberal Christians are you? Most dangerous creature on Earth.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
Ok. Why not put them in prison and make it memorable? You know hard labor. The other methods haven't worked. Not liberal? Sure sound like one. Say, you aren't one of those liberal Christians are you? Most dangerous creature on Earth.
If that would work, I'd be open to the idea. However, as mentioned, Switzerland and Portugal have provided free housing and free drugs while reducing the number of addicts as well as drug related crimes to almost zero. Free drugs and housing from the government eradicates the need to steal for drug and rent money.

You're very polarizing in your remarks. I also know that you are without a doubt a sad supervisor who alludes to being a dues paying member, trying to divide and conquer in anyway you can. If you spent your time writing letters to the company seeking to regain your pension and equitable benefits to that of your union member constituents, you may actually get somewhere. Besides, you're probably one who believes in eradicating unions because you have the power to negotiate on your own behalf. So go for it. Prove to the community and to yourself that you have the power to stand alone and negotiate the things we have.

UPSER1987

Have to love how the fate of someone's career and future ride in the hands of two UPS supes who might have 25 minutes combined of a Powerpoint class on impairment.

I went through an 80 hour course, 40 hour field training, and conducted no less than 15 evaluations to become a certified LE DRE (law enforcement drug recognition expert) and I still got it wrong occasionally.
The union agreed to it. Must be alright.

UPSER1987

* UPS. I got off some bad meds 5 years ago and the only person who helped me through it was on her 5th year (and is now on her 10th). One of the few redeeming ppl to stay in touch with. She rocked our SurePost and even helped load. Anyways I guess someone was intimidated by her energy and there was a slew of anonymous claims she was tweaked out. But when you're working 16-20 hours straight in the cold and drinking coffee I mean hey must be meth or crack cocaine right. Because who on earth could be so broke they gotta double shift and then some?

I couldn't believe it when they sat me down and asked very specific questions. We are pretty sure the person who complained was the one who was tweaked out, themselves! They quit less than 2 weeks in. And that anonymous tip would've ended a 15+ year career. My bosses all thought they were super police and telling me how I wasn't in trouble and she would get the help she needed, like what the *? * no. UPS can burn to the ground with every other *ty company that's busy getting what it deserves from covid. Disgusting, trash company.
I didn’t understand anything the person wrote. Good thing writing skills aren’t a requirement of the job.

SLW

Because of the way marijuana is tested, you show up positive for an obscenely long period of time after you smoked it. I don't like getting high myself, but I'd feel some type of way if a beer I had 3 weeks ago made me fail a breathalyzer. Hell if i'd just say "well, ya know, that's just the policy they arbitrarily came up with and it was irresponsible of me to have a personal life"

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Have to love how the fate of someone's career and future ride in the hands of two UPS supes who might have 25 minutes combined of a Powerpoint class on impairment.

I went through an 80 hour course, 40 hour field training, and conducted no less than 15 evaluations to become a certified LE DRE (law enforcement drug recognition expert) and I still got it wrong occasionally.
ARIDE? We got that in the USMC as MP's

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Never once in my five years been drug tested at UPS... helper, Loader (Night sort Irreg.), Tues-sat Driver, RPCD, not once.

Railroad went all the way. Hair follicle. Passed with flying colors. But moral of the story: in transportation, you're better off drinking than smoking weed. It's not legal per federal regs. So make a choice.

quad decade guy

If that would work, I'd be open to the idea. However, as mentioned, Switzerland and Portugal have provided free housing and free drugs while reducing the number of addicts as well as drug related crimes to almost zero. Free drugs and housing from the government eradicates the need to steal for drug and rent money.

You're very polarizing in your remarks. I also know that you are without a doubt a sad supervisor who alludes to being a dues paying member, trying to divide and conquer in anyway you can. If you spent your time writing letters to the company seeking to regain your pension and equitable benefits to that of your union member constituents, you may actually get somewhere. Besides, you're probably one who believes in eradicating unions because you have the power to negotiate on your own behalf. So go for it. Prove to the community and to yourself that you have the power to stand alone and negotiate the things we have.
Tell you what, whatever liberal, feel good policy you want to enact-please go ahead.....just YOU and your liberal friends PAY for it.

Like many, many on BC you are so wrong and YOU DON'T KNOW ME. Polarizing? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. 70+million people voted against liberalism(you). We are buying guns and ammo by the millions getting ready to fight liberals. To fight this stupidity. As feel good and fuzzy your ideas about accommodating drug users are, most of us think its STUPID and WASTEFUL and just wrong. I(we) don't think like liberals. Any far out, bizarre(witness California, Seattle, NY(any Democrat controlled state, city etc) idea will be counter to logic and just plain Americanism.

Your ideas about me lying of being an hourly are frankly bizarre. It's hard to believe but that's one of the more inane things you've stated. That's saying a lot.

Tell us more about "Who I(me) am really"....

PT Car Washer

Tell you what, whatever liberal, feel good policy you want to enact-please go ahead.....just YOU and your liberal friends PAY for it.

Like many, many on BC you are so wrong and YOU DON'T KNOW ME. Polarizing? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. 70+million people voted against liberalism(you). We are buying guns and ammo by the millions getting ready to fight liberals. To fight this stupidity. As feel good and fuzzy your ideas about accommodating drug users are, most of us think its STUPID and WASTEFUL and just wrong. I(we) don't think like liberals. Any far out, bizarre(witness California, Seattle, NY(any Democrat controlled state, city etc) idea will be counter to logic and just plain Americanism.

Your ideas about me lying of being an hourly are frankly bizarre. It's hard to believe but that's one of the more inane things you've stated. That's saying a lot.

If UPS management ever read some of the things you write and could ID you, you would be pulled off the road in a heartbeat and tested.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike

All the money spent on fighting the drug issue is then used for treatment, housing, ect. It doesnt cost anything more and if you watched the video you will have noticed that the portugese voted for this system and virtually nobody wants to go back. Which is saying something because I believe Portugal is conservative.

You keep looking at this issue as red vs blue. Although it can be categorized as a lefty thing to do, it's also very libertarian. Your comments and how you conduct yourself makes me question so much more than your position. I find it hard to believe you're in your 40s with a character like that. I could almost bet you're a disgruntled part time supervisor fresh out of high school with nothing better to do than troll browncafe pretending to be a dues paying member. I think its it's sad, really. I hope you get over whatever is making you angry.