Drunk Supervisor

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Might want to try this: Go up to him with one of your most hardcore Union guys and say, "Look, you pos drunk m'fer. We know your unfit for duty 90% of the time and youre a lying, cheating worthless human being, when it comes to how you treat us. Clean your :censored2: up, immediately, or we'll burn your ass in front of everyone here. Just giving you fair notice. Understand?"

Don't worry about being polite. Just make sure that it can't be heard or seen by anyone but him. Think of it as an intervention and a final act of diplomacy. If that doesn't work, have at it. Alcoholics have zero sympathy from me, when they eagerly friend' with other people's livelihood.

To a point at least I would agree, but I would leave out the name calling and personal attacks because they contribute nothing positive to the situation. An intervention isn't about personal attacks; its about confronting someone with a problem in a manner that will (A) motivate them to get help and (B) make it clear what personal boundaries YOU are now drawing to prevent their behavior from causing further problems in your life.

In this case, instead of all the insults, it might be better to state the following:

"Listen, it is quite obvious to a number of us that you are coming to work intoxicated. We can smell alcohol on your breath and your treatment of us has been totally inappropriate. We have documented the dates and times that this has occurred. You have two choices; either take a leave of absence and enter treatment immediately, or as a group we will forward our concerns to UPS Human Resources and file a grievance for harassment and creating unsafe work conditions for us."

You have now put the ball in his court and made it clear what measures you will be taking to protect yourself from his behavior, without stooping to his level.

soberups

Fired over what? No one else will hear. It's all hearsay. This should occur when he's drunk at work, so if he tries to play hardball in that moment, throw him under the bus in front of everyone. Like I said, it's an intervention. Manners aren't necessary, if he's a drunk.
Or, you could wait until he is drunk and then get two or three witnesses to report him to his boss under threat of calling HR, the union, the police and OSHA. His boss will be the one throwing him under the bus in order to save his own ass.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
To a point at least I would agree, but I would leave out the name calling and personal attacks because they contribute nothing positive to the situation. An intervention isn't about personal attacks; its about confronting someone with a problem in a manner that will (A) motivate them to get help and (B) make it clear what personal boundaries YOU are now drawing to prevent their behavior from causing further problems in your life.

In this case, instead of all the insults, it might be better to state the following:

"Listen, it is quite obvious to a number of us that you are coming to work intoxicated. We can smell alcohol on your breath and your treatment of us has been totally inappropriate. We have documented the dates and times that this has occurred. You have two choices; either take a leave of absence and enter treatment immediately, or as a group we will forward our concerns to UPS Human Resources and file a grievance for harassment and creating unsafe work conditions for us."

You have now put the ball in his court and made it clear what measures you will be taking to protect yourself from his behavior, without stooping to his level.
Um, nah, I like my words better.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Thanks, but I'm good. Go back to policing the Internet.
KrK9NNx.gif

RealPerson

Heck, I was scheduled off last night. Got a call one hour before my shift, asking me to come in. I said I was 4 drinks down, so can not drive. I was offered a ride to work. LOL I declined...

soberups

Yeah, you would never want to stand up for yourself on the job, would you? Typical response from the spineless.
This may surprise you, but it is quite possible to stand up for oneself without calling people names, dropping friend-bombs and acting like a 7th grader.

If you reread my original post, I said that for the most part I actually agreed with you. If someone comes to work drunk they need to be confronted. Hell, they probably ought to be fired. I just happen to think that the most productive way to confront a person is to speak and behave like an adult.