DWI Question

atatbl

Thats because theres a hell of a lot more sober people on the roads everyday thank god. and yes , it is more ok if you are killed by a non drunk driver because at least the driver was resposible enough to not DRINK before he got behind the wheel , the odds are against you when your on the roads , why would you willingly decrease them by adding alcahol ?

I agree with neworker being an idiot, but your premise is ridiculous. "the odds are against you when your on the roads , why would you willingly decrease them by adding alcahol" Read this quote out loud to yourself. If you still don't understand the lunacy of this statement, think about it. The odds are not against you. If they were several things could/would be happening: you would be in an accident more often than not, your car would break down more often than not, you would hurt yourself more often than not, you would die more often than not, lol. Crazy Brits....

P.S. I mean no disrespect.

rod

Retired 22 years
where do bars close at 3 anyways?

Minneapolis-St. Paul bars will be open until 4:00 A.M. during the week of the Republican National Convention. Imagine that. Also I believe Chicago bars can be open until 5:00 A.M. Then there is Las Vegas- 24/7

New Englander

Sorry...I was ..(hic) at da bar trying to steady my nerves for the ride home :happy-very:

I don't know what to do with this one. Someone with 3 dwi's asking about a driving job sounds bizzarre. Why isn't he in jail?

I don't think the requirements for a driving job are spelled out in the contract could be wrong. Thought UPS set the standards. I'll have to pull my contract out. Unlike my goon buddies I don;t keep one at home. :happy-very:

The drunk driving issue is an interesting one that we keep fooling ourselves into believing can be controlled.

A person can go to a bar and order an alcoholic beverage. Most sell hard liquor.

Drinking alocoholic beverages impairs your decision making process.

So you make a decision to drink too much.

The bartender makes a couple of bucks an hour and heavily relies on tips. So she will not cut you off unless you fall flat on your face. She may even hook you up with a free drink or two via samples or whatever.

You then drive drunk.

The person who wants to avoid the drunk drivng trap stays away from the bar.

If we really want to fix drunk driving then we should probably close the bars , but we know that won't happen. Or we should make bars enforce a two or three drink limit on every patron.
But instead we keep allowing people to drive to a bar, drink all night and drive home and wonder why we have a problem.

You don't honestly think closing bars is going to eliminate drinking and driving do you?

My god.....how about home parties, polishing off a 6 pack as you drive home from work etc......

alister

You don't honestly think closing bars is going to eliminate drinking and driving do you?

My god.....how about home parties, polishing off a 6 pack as you drive home from work etc......

force bars to have parking lots that only allow motorcycles to be parked there. bike vs car, dumb@ss will lose more often.

• Among motorcycle drivers killed in fatal crashes, 30% have BACs of 0.08% or greater (Paulozzi et al. 2004).
· Nearly half of the alcohol-impaired motorcyclists killed each year are age 40 or older, and motorcyclists ages 40 to 44 years have the highest percentage of fatalities with BACs of 0.08% or greater (Paulozzi et al. 2004).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If we really want to fix drunk driving then we should probably close the bars , but we know that won't happen. Or we should make bars enforce a two or three drink limit on every patron.
But instead we keep allowing people to drive to a bar, drink all night and drive home and wonder why we have a problem.
As a recovering alcoholic with 11 1/2 years of sobriety, I can tell you that closing the bars wont make a bit of difference. I hardly ever went to bars when I drank.
If you want to make a difference, then do away with the "diversion" programs that let first-time offenders off with a slap on the wrist and a 90-day suspension.
A DUI ought to come with a mandatory 30-day jail sentence. If you have a job you can still go to it, but nights and weekends you should be locked up, with a one year license suspension. A second DUI and you are in jail for a year.
DUI's can be a mixed blessing. A lot of people I go to meetings with say that the DUI saved their life by forcing them to accept the fact that they needed help. For some people, jail time is the "bottom" they need to hit in order to become willing to change. I am grateful that I was able to hit that bottom without getting arrested or killing an innocent motorist while driving impaired.

Iggyiam

question to all the gurus would they even hire him? because he can do it again and loose his licence and not be able to work? im asking because the question the asked me most was if i had back up transportation ?

tieguy

Banned

No I was commenting on the irony of having bars and laws against drinking and driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tie, on this irony note, I spent 4 yrs in Texas (Lubbock) while in the Air Force. Lubbock County was a "dry" county, which means that sales of alcoholic beverages were prohibited within the county; however, just outside of the city was a street known as the Strip, which was in the adjacent county, which was filled with liquor stores, some of which offered drive-thru service.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I agree with neworker being an idiot, but your premise is ridiculous. "the odds are against you when your on the roads , why would you willingly decrease them by adding alcahol" Read this quote out loud to yourself. If you still don't understand the lunacy of this statement, think about it. The odds are not against you. If they were several things could/would be happening: you would be in an accident more often than not, your car would break down more often than not, you would hurt yourself more often than not, you would die more often than not, lol. Crazy Brits....

P.S. I mean no disrespect.

No disrespect taken, let me try to explain what I meant.
The odds are against you when your on the roads. By this I meant the moment you get in a vehicle and start driving you are controling a very heavy large fast moving object. You share the roads with millions of other people doing the same thing. Some of these people are driving towards you , some of these people are late for work , some are putting on their makeup, most are talking on their cel phones,some are still half asleep,some pull out right in front of you without looking,some run red lights,some try to dictate to others how they feel others should drive,some dont have drivers licences,some are hungover,some cant see over the steering wheel,some are reading the news paper, some are spilling coffe on their laps, some are yelling at the kids in the back seat and you get the picture.
why would you willingly decrease them ? by this I meant that by knowing all of the above, why would you impare your own ability to drive by being intoxicated.
You cant tell me you dont see hundereds of bad drivers on the roads each week , would you say that its safer to walk your dog in a park or through a busy intersection ?
I feel its safer watching TV in my living room than watching it while driving my minivan to the local bar.
Crazy Brit for sure , but not when I`m driving.

Tie, on this irony note, I spent 4 yrs in Texas (Lubbock) while in the Air Force. Lubbock County was a "dry" county, which means that sales of alcoholic beverages were prohibited within the county; however, just outside of the city was a street known as the Strip, which was in the adjacent county, which was filled with liquor stores, some of which offered drive-thru service.

Close, but just a small cigar... Have lived in West Texas for many years I can testify.....The Strip is indeed in Lubbock County, precinct 3 was voted in "wet" for package liquor, beer and wine, but ONLY outside the city limits. The other three precincts are still "dry" for packaged booze. However, inside the city limits it is legal for the sell of liquor by the drink, bars, restaurants, clubs...etc, etc. A few miles west of the old Reese Air Force Base ( Where UpState was stationed) there was a small country community that incorporated as a city and held a "wet/dry election and wet won, there is one liquor store and one night club. This is just outside of Levelland. South of Lubbock the same scenario happened. Both these are in otherwise "dry" counties. Wolfforth just recently voted "wet" for beer and wine package sales with no hard stuff allowed. SO the availability for booze is easy, closing bars wouldn't have much effect.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sunday, June 1, 2008. 7:46pm

I just wanted to mark the date and time prior to typing my reply.

I agree with Rod. Life in prison for a 3rd DUI is ludicrous. 1 year in jail and loss of driving privileges for 10 years would be a more appropriate sentence IMO.

As far as agreeing with Rod, we will treat that like a leap year as it will happen once every four years, so we'll see what 2012 brings.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sunday, June 1, 2008. 7:46pm

I just wanted to mark the date and time prior to typing my reply.

I agree with Rod. Life in prison for a 3rd DUI is ludicrous. 1 year in jail and loss of driving privileges for 10 years would be a more appropriate sentence IMO.

As far as agreeing with Rod, we will treat that like a leap year as it will happen once every four years, so we'll see what 2012 brings.

I knew deep down you still liked me you big lug.:happy2: