Dynamic Orion - Turn by Turn Directions & Why RDO Is Dead In UPS's Own Words Part - 2

The Real Jack RyanMI6

New Logistics for a New World

UPS President of U.S. Operations Myron Gray spoke at the 2017 Investors Conference, explaining how change will drive the logistics network of the future.

We finished Phase One of ORION last year. So far, we’ve reduced the number of miles we need to run our routes by more than 210 million, which helped us increase the average stops per mile by 9 percent.

We also promised that ORION would help us save 6 to 8 miles per driver a day, and we’ve already met that estimate. ORION will become an even more important tool in the future. We’re generating more than $400 million in annual cost savings and avoidance.

We are now deep into development of a dynamic, real-time version of ORION that we’ll roll out with complete coverage in 2019. This next phase of ORION will serve as a springboard for significant gains in integration, system efficiencies, and the capability to implement profitable premium customer services.

The new version of ORION will mark the biggest leap yet in functionality, with dynamic updates, better navigation and dispatch decisions. And since we have experience at deploying ORION, we will implement this real-time version quicker and cheaper than the first phase of ORION. Once the additional phases are in place, we expect to realize a cumulative $150 million to 200 million in additional annual savings when fully implemented.

So Ask your BA and Stewards - Given dynamic orions abilty to reduce miles and therefore our plan day, how will that affect the amount of routes going to RPCD's and the amount of 22.4's per day? I mean come on guys this has been public knowedge since 2017!!! Shurley, this has been discussed given both the Union and Company are pushing this contract so much and according to my Steward he's the only one I Can Trust. My question is What was talked about in these meetings. Two Person or Otherwise?

Dollar Chasing

Well, considering some county drivers in my building beat their route by 20-30 miles every day, and still manage to get 9.3-9.5 hours while still scratching the route, I don’t see how ORION can really bone them any more. And, I don’t think ORION can really cut down but a few miles per route a day based on the numbers they just put out. 6-8 miles per route, 400 mil in savings means 150-200 mil more in savings is only 2.5-4.5 miles per route. So, like 20 clicks a route.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would love to see some corporate fatass brown up, grab a DIAD, put an “investor” in the jump seat of a blown-out car under real life conditions, and actually follow ORION to demonstrate how well it really works....

john chesney

New Logistics for a New World

UPS President of U.S. Operations Myron Gray spoke at the 2017 Investors Conference, explaining how change will drive the logistics network of the future.

We finished Phase One of ORION last year. So far, we’ve reduced the number of miles we need to run our routes by more than 210 million, which helped us increase the average stops per mile by 9 percent.

We also promised that ORION would help us save 6 to 8 miles per driver a day, and we’ve already met that estimate. ORION will become an even more important tool in the future. We’re generating more than $400 million in annual cost savings and avoidance.

We are now deep into development of a dynamic, real-time version of ORION that we’ll roll out with complete coverage in 2019. This next phase of ORION will serve as a springboard for significant gains in integration, system efficiencies, and the capability to implement profitable premium customer services.

The new version of ORION will mark the biggest leap yet in functionality, with dynamic updates, better navigation and dispatch decisions. And since we have experience at deploying ORION, we will implement this real-time version quicker and cheaper than the first phase of ORION. Once the additional phases are in place, we expect to realize a cumulative $150 million to 200 million in additional annual savings when fully implemented.

So Ask your BA and Stewards - Given dynamic orions abilty to reduce miles and therefore our plan day, how will that affect the amount of routes going to RPCD's and the amount of 22.4's per day? I mean come on guys this has been public knowedge since 2017!!! Shurley, this has been discussed given both the Union and Company are pushing this contract so much and according to my Steward he's the only one I Can Trust. My question is What was talked about in these meetings. Two Person or Otherwise?
Wow and they want to fire us for dishonesty.

john chesney

I would love to see some corporate fatass brown up, grab a DIAD, put an “investor” in the jump seat of a blown-out car under real life conditions, and actually follow ORION to demonstrate how well it really works....
They’d never do that ups stock would tank bigger then Facebook just did

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I could always see how Orion could work if set up correctly. I probaly have no useful input as I have been gone over a year.
Anyway, I saw it work on some routes with actual driver input. It did not work on mine, or the other two trucks in my area. I was 20 miles over every day. IE admitted it was screwed up, and not workable, after a year of constantly being in the office for being over miles and over allow. Yet no one fixed it, and the beatings continued.

If rdo had been taken out it would have been a real cluster of uselessness. I wish you all the luck in the world. Glad I am gone.

Dr.Brownz

I beat the planned Orion miles everyday. And have at MOST three backs a day. Zero resi backs

I beat mine everyday because Orion runs from one end of my route to the other multiple times for no reason, doing all the pickups after the third stop , driving right by business's and leaving them till the end of the day

Dr.Brownz

I could always see how Orion could work if set up correctly. I probaly have no useful input as I have been gone over a year.
Anyway, I saw it work on some routes with actual driver input. It did not work on mine, or the other two trucks in my area. I was 20 miles over every day. IE admitted it was screwed up, and not workable, after a year of constantly being in the office for being over miles and over allow. Yet no one fixed it, and the beatings continued.

If rdo had been taken out it would have been a real cluster of uselessness. I wish you all the luck in the world. Glad I am gone.

As soon as they make an add/cut it falls apart in our center

Thegameisrigged

Which is most days especially FRIDAYS. Some centers r getting mass sick calls on fridays.
That’s because the drivers are burned out by the end of the week. It’ll only get worse after they pull RDO and raise stop counts because of Orion. I can only imagine how tiring digging through the load all day can become. Especially with 210+ stops in a packed truck.