E-Star* Update!

MassWineGuy

Yes, probably. And that will mean a pretty sharp staff reduction because not everyone is cut out to drive different routes every day. After that, those who remain might get an astronomical uptick to their workload.

whenIgetthere

Yes, probably. And that will mean a pretty sharp staff reduction because not everyone is cut out to drive different routes every day. After that, those who remain might get an astronomical uptick to their workload.
Agreed, was a floater for my first twelve years as a courier, spent my last eight on two different routes. Retired now, but the guy who covers the area where I live told me they've already added the main business (very busy) areas nearby onto his route. He took the route a year ago because it was 100% residential.

MassWineGuy

Folded the business stops in? What a coincidence!

When I asked the manager in charge of Saturday ops how E*Star was going, he wasn’t at all happy.

Serf

E star update now running daily at my station. So far; 2 retirements. 2 resignations, several thousand lates a day, missed pickups, high amount of pickups going to 1 driver, when they could easily go to 2 or 3. Additional overtime due to bigger area and no route knowledge. Additional wear and tear on trucks. Low morale.

yadig

E star update now running daily at my station. So far; 2 retirements. 2 resignations, several thousand lates a day, missed pickups, high amount of pickups going to 1 driver, when they could easily go to 2 or 3. Additional overtime due to bigger area and no route knowledge. Additional wear and tear on trucks. Low morale.
Sounds like a successful transition to ground

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Talk about a company sabotaging their own business. Just who was the mastermind behind all this?

bbsam

Staff member
Talk about a company sabotaging their own business. Just who was the mastermind behind all this?
1654690158095.png

shartpost

Pee stain eliminates more responsibility and fault from the courier. I can't be the only person who sees the beauty of this.

Serf

Pee stain eliminates more responsibility and fault from the courier. I can't be the only person who sees the beauty of this.
Sure. And some people will do well in that system. As for me, I’m getting home 2 hours later doing less deliveries in a bigger area. I don’t like it.

Guitarman01

Sure. And some people will do well in that system. As for me, I’m getting home 2 hours later doing less deliveries in a bigger area. I don’t like it.
That will go really well with the mandatory hr breaks if you go past 8hrs that they just reinstated.
That has to be the most asinine policies ive ever heard of, who in the hell wants to sit in their van or at taco bell for an hr?
Does anyone have any insight as to why they would force an hr break on someone?
It seems counterproductive, kind of like estar.
Are they spending more or less gas money with estar, does anyone know?
Just this past saturday, I saw a route plan with 170 miles built in, that will be real fun in the winter.

Star B

White Lightening
Just this past saturday, I saw a route plan with 170 miles built in, that will be real fun in the winter.
I would like to know this too -- I can't see it cutting miles or saving gas -- but I can see it saving labor, which might be cheaper according to the beancounters.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I would like to know this too -- I can't see it cutting miles or saving gas -- but I can see it saving labor, which might be cheaper according to the beancounters.
It's not going to save either. It's going to increase the size of routes and take away route knowledge increasing the amount of time to complete a route. This system is solely based on the software's algorithm on time from stop to stop. Doesn't take into account the many variables we have on a daily basis that each courier encounters and adjusts to constantly.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's not going to save either. It's going to increase the size of routes and take away route knowledge increasing the amount of time to complete a route. This system is solely based on the software's algorithm on time from stop to stop. Doesn't take into account the many variables we have on a daily basis that each courier encounters and adjusts to constantly.
Those variables, for the most part, can be programmed into the software. It's up to you, your manager, and your engineer to make those adjustments.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Those variables, for the most part, can be programmed into the software. It's up to you, your manager, and your engineer to make those adjustments.
You actually believe that traffic, trains, trees, and 'tards in management can be programmed into the software? Especially when the route changes day to day with different drivers in the area! Experience and route knowledge no longer an asset!

ROFLMAO

59 Dano

When properly set up and maintained, it can save significant amounts of onroad labor. It's a lot of tedious work upfront and those who don't want to go through the trouble of doing it get to deal with the trouble of using something that isn't better optimized to serve their workgroup.

59 Dano

You actually believe that traffic, trains, trees, and 'tards in management can be programmed into the software? Especially when the route changes day to day with different drivers in the area! Experience and route knowledge no longer an asset!

ROFLMAO
It really hits close to home for some.

!Retired!

That will go really well with the mandatory hr breaks if you go past 8hrs that they just reinstated.
A few years back they tried making us take an hour. I asked for the policy and was told they would show it to me. They day after they told us, the DM came to the station. I asked her, in front of 30 couriers and all the managers, what the policy was. She said over 6 (later changed to 5) hours 30 minutes was required. I asked what about over 8. She said it's still only 30.

Federal law states only 30 minutes, even over 8 hours. The ONLY thing that changes state to state is whether 30 needs to be taken after 5 or 6 hours. No federal or state law says 60 minutes. If you can find it, post it. Anybody who is 'told' they have to take 60 should ask to see the policy and see how long they delay to show it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And by what standard of treatment of its workforce has FedEx earned any kind of right to dedication to assist in making something work that has, at its root, making that workforce replaceable and dispensable?

You really DO need an anal craniotomy!