Eam Driver's are we in danger of extinction?

Thumper

so i been Ups 16.5 yrs. Sat air driver 15 yrs ,then pm air bid, then bid to eam air for last 5 yrs now.
they utilize us at there own needs. 6 days a week. 3 hr guarantee to 14 hrs depending on time of yr. never consistent. i had several 2nd jobs over last 4 yrs, cause they are not consistent.
love what i do, i work hard, i have injuries, and age now, that really keep me from being a friend.t. driver. but we have no protection.
i was hoping to take a 22.4 i am was even in top 3. but they lied about what job was going to be, they tried talking us into it, again if i wanted friend.t. i would have gone 5 yrs ago. i was trying to maintain that i have another 10 yrs here, and i don't wish to be in disability before or by then.
our building is friend.t. tues. thru sat, til sunday starts. then likely wed thru sun. u can wait n bid for mon thru fri. i already said i didn't want friend.t. i sure as hell not giving up my weekends also. my spouse works mon thru fri. we never see each other.
plus knowing 3 of us never intended going friend.t. due to own personal reasons.
told us we had to qualify a route. they can't make up there mind on school. they seem to slide some thru without, what was the union thinking. why our they not protecting the jobs an people already in service.
why are we using outside people in personal vehicles, over using already trained experienced p.t. driver's willing to help. why didn't they get a 4-5 hr guarantee for eam air driver's instead using outside people.
you can't get a honest answer anywhere.
just wandering if anyone else affected or feel shunned by this new b.s. way.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
so i been Ups 16.5 yrs. Sat air driver 15 yrs ,then pm air bid, then bid to eam air for last 5 yrs now.
they utilize us at there own needs. 6 days a week. 3 hr guarantee to 14 hrs depending on time of yr. never consistent. i had several 2nd jobs over last 4 yrs, cause they are not consistent.
love what i do, i work hard, i have injuries, and age now, that really keep me from being a friend.t. driver. but we have no protection.
i was hoping to take a 22.4 i am was even in top 3. but they lied about what job was going to be, they tried talking us into it, again if i wanted friend.t. i would have gone 5 yrs ago. i was trying to maintain that i have another 10 yrs here, and i don't wish to be in disability before or by then.
our building is friend.t. tues. thru sat, til sunday starts. then likely wed thru sun. u can wait n bid for mon thru fri. i already said i didn't want friend.t. i sure as hell not giving up my weekends also. my spouse works mon thru fri. we never see each other.
plus knowing 3 of us never intended going friend.t. due to own personal reasons.
told us we had to qualify a route. they can't make up there mind on school. they seem to slide some thru without, what was the union thinking. why our they not protecting the jobs an people already in service.
why are we using outside people in personal vehicles, over using already trained experienced p.t. driver's willing to help. why didn't they get a 4-5 hr guarantee for eam air driver's instead using outside people.

I'm not sure about those jobs ever disappearing completely, but for over 30 years now I have watched a consistent push to create full time jobs. In many cases, those jobs are created by combining 2 p/t jobs into one friend/t job (Article 22.3). There has been no secret about it throughout all contract talks and negotiations for the 30+ years I have been around. There will always be p/t work available but what type of work is the question. It is easier to take an air route and add it to preload shift or shuttle pm work added to a local sort than pull a job out of the sky. In hubs, they take 2 p/t shifts back to back and make it 1 friend/t shift. It is what the masses had screamed for years. Lack of opportunity was their gripe so it has been addressed. My building has friend/t positions going up regularly and a p/t employee has the chance to sign or not depending on their needs.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I'll give it a shot.

they utilize us at there own needs. 6 days a week. 3 hr guarantee to 14 hrs depending on time of yr. never consistent.

In lieu of working supervisors, that's a legitimate use of qualified drivers.

i was hoping to take a 22.4

i already said i didn't want friend.t.

Which is it ?

what was the union thinking.

why didn't they get a 4-5 hr guarantee for eam air driver's instead using outside people.

Not enough EAM work.... or, EAM drivers to matter ?

I think I understand your concern.

You like the EAM work (because it's easy) and would like to help out on

occasion for extra time. But, only when you want it ?

Your post is hard to read and understand.

-Bug-

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
My 1 center part-time bldg delivers EAMs and 1030s for heavy zip codes for 1 1/4 counties. We service the major metropolitan areas. We are not going anywhere. We just hired 10-15 new drivers. The large bldgs in our area would implode if they had to deliver all EAMs and 1030s. When I am heading back to my bldg after my 1030s, I usually pass the full time driver on his way in.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If you want full time hours but not full time work try feeders.

Utility81

I used to have commitment issues too. I was part time for 10 years. Went full time and got married after that.
Gotta let the part time jobs and hoes go.

Article 40 covers the use of early AM drivers.

Go read it.

bumped

With the failure of the on time network there is no reason for an EAM driver. The regular package car drivers deliver it as a 10:30.

PT is a better look in the long-run. As a tenured PT, I'd be able to be self-employed...and for UPS- work PT if I wanted, or pick up extra work if I wanted. Win-win
PT is a better look in the long-run. As a tenured PT, I'd be able to be self-employed...and for UPS- work PT if I wanted, or pick up extra work if I wanted. Win-win
$40hr delivery drivers are an endangered species. Now that UPS has a cheaper alternative. Mostly the new drivers still in their 4 year progression. Use them up and spit them out. Next contract could be a 6 year progression. And the FT Union members will vote for it just to keep what they have now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
$40hr delivery drivers are an endangered species. Now that UPS has a cheaper alternative. Mostly the new drivers still in their 4 year progression. Use them up and spit them out. Next contract could be a 6 year progression. And the FT Union members will vote for it just to keep what they have now.
Probably a 10 year progression :D