Early Retirement due to Medical Problems

golfnut

I can't find the answer to this question in our benefits book, hopefully someone can answer this for me. I retired at age 50 with 26 Full-Time years due to a medical condition. From what I understand I cannot get on UPS insurance until I turn 55. Social Security has now deemed me totally disabled, but I can not get medicare for 2 years, so I have to buy insurance (obamacare) and it's expensive. Is it possible to get back on UPS insurance earlier than age 55 due to my disability and being forced to retire because of my medical condition?

fredxx

i thnk SSDI is welfare/food stamps...Golfnut is correct there's a 2 yrs waiting period for medicare if you become fully disabled before 65 yo...i was a SS office last week and i asked the lady that question...fyi

Ms.PacMan

SSDI

Social
Security
Disability
Insurance
This

SSDI is your social security benefits early (it's also a higher amount than you would otherwise receive at retirement age).

You should qualify for Medicaid (for disabled/indigent persons) until you begin to receive Medicare (for senior citizens).

I don't know where you're at, but the old CS and our new pension both provide disability pension payments. Have you started your pension? Does this income disqualify you from receiving Medicaid?

fredxx

UpstateNYUPer...u r correct..i was thinking of SSI (or Supplemental )...so Ms. Pac Man if u become disabled and start collecting on SSDI rather than wait for the 2 yrs before you become eligible for medicare you can qualify for medicaid? does assets/ pension make a difference since i was under the impression to qualify for medicaid you can only make a certain amt...not sure about assets though...tia if u can offer any info on that..

golfnut

Already drawing my pension, but there is a two year wait to be able to get on medicare/medicaid.. Just wondered if our plan allowed exceptions to get insurance if you were less than 55 with a disability. Spending approx $1,300 per month on medical related stuff, obamacare is eating me alive...thanks for the answers

Ms.PacMan

COBRA?

Health coverage options for people who get Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Medicare is/may be retroactive back to the onset of disability. Until then you may qualify for Medicaid depending on your state and income.

I'm guessing though that if you are on Obamacare that you don't qualify. Unfortunately you may have to downsize your lifestyle so you have more income to spend on healthcare.

What state are you in?

Did you know that you can also collect social security for dependent children if you are on disability?

Observer

I would see what you could find out at the library- they have reference books regarding SSI and Medicare. They are written by the government or other entities. If I'm not mistaken I believe you can get on Medicare earlier that 62. Also don't always believe what anyone tells you at branch offices (SSI). Also read the SSI site. Yes, I know it's tedious but anything is better than Obamacare or COBRA for that matter. COBRA is EXTREMELY expensive. Good luck.

Already drawing my pension, but there is a two year wait to be able to get on medicare/medicaid.. Just wondered if our plan allowed exceptions to get insurance if you were less than 55 with a disability. Spending approx $1,300 per month on medical related stuff, obamacare is eating me alive...thanks for the answers

Every state I've lived in has always said two years. Depending on your condition, and it sounds pretty bad, your medical records and representative will get it to you quicker, and you get paid a chunk of change when accepted. It begins to accrue at your apply date. The first check is always the biggest. If you get an attorney, he or she will want a big piece of that biscuit but it's almost impossible to do without them. But if you've got free time on your hands it's not hard to learn to represent yourself in a disability hearing. We've had to do it every time we moved states.

Good luck brother.