Ebola spreading in West Africa: What you need to know

wkmac

According to the latest CDC database updates (see above), the current mortality rate of the Ebola outbreak is at 50%. The outbreak continues so this will change either way too. I think we are all in agreement, let's hope it trends down.

The other question I have is why the massive outbreak all of a sudden? Since 1976', the largest outbreak in a single event was just over 400 cases (see above link from CDC) and now we're currently 5 times that amount and continuing. Why? Did the virus mutate? Was there an environment change which allowed the disease to explode? For nearly 40 years the disease has remained relatively quiet and isolated but now has chosen to try and become a wildfire. Again, why?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Interesting is it not that during the last Israel-Hamas conflict that Obama ordered that all flights to Israel cease: yet here we have Ebola in Texas, and yet nothing is done to halt international flights from Liberia.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
EbolaChartNew-e1412230160727.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
According to the latest CDC database updates (see above), the current mortality rate of the Ebola outbreak is at 50%. The outbreak continues so this will change either way too. I think we are all in agreement, let's hope it trends down.

The other question I have is why the massive outbreak all of a sudden? Since 1976', the largest outbreak in a single event was just over 400 cases (see above link from CDC) and now we're currently 5 times that amount and continuing. Why? Did the virus mutate? Was there an environment change which allowed the disease to explode? For nearly 40 years the disease has remained relatively quiet and isolated but now has chosen to try and become a wildfire. Again, why?
it is a terrorist attack? I am scared, I dont care what any of you say.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
it is a terrorist attack? I am scared, I dont care what any of you say.
You'll hear people say the survival rate of ebola victims is 10%, yet with the current outbreak it's estimated around 60%. That's in countries without running water, much less a healthcare system like we have here.

Look at the positive. Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (ebola vaccine manufacturer) saw a 25% rise in their stock price after the first US case was confirmed. This is a problem we should have been prepared for long ago. But since it was only a problem in third world countries, pharmaceutical companies didn't give a damn. Now everyone will benefit.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I can't wait to read the pharmaceutical company's warning on an ebola vaccine.......May cause vomiting , the runs, general feeling of weakness, coughing, etc.