Ec package

Packmule

No. Worst case customer will complain and management will inform you for future reference. I don't abuse it if access will improve soon, but ones that won't get better for weeks or month get marked EC Needs Alt. I also place them with the bad address pkgs. if they are back on the car next day with no new information, add another date and repeat.
Eventually they'll call or post card it.
Customers have a right to live wherever they wish, but they have no right to expect us to wreck the truck getting to them.

Holydriver

As a former clerk. Usually the customer swears up and down the address is correct. Gives you the run around. It is sometimes the driver though. In our system we have notes as to when the last package was delivered to that address. If it was good 3 months ago, it's probably good now.

Also if clerks are getting packages back late they're not going to call. Most people don't appreciate getting phone calls at 930 from UPS saying "So where do you live?"
i like when the customer swears that their driveway is clear, or the gravel road they live on is safe to drive on becaue their 4x4 can make it just fine. customers certainly do like to lie

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Yes. Ec as many times as you need. In my neck of the woods. From November to March. I don't see the peoples house. I have a few leave or build a box for me to deliver to. Most times I bag up walk in the drive way then hang on a tree limb. Say about 100 ft in. I wanna say I hang about 20-30 a day. Then they give me my x Mas tip in March.

rod

Retired 22 years
As far as management standing behind you if a complaint came in on an EC package I would say 99 times out of a 100 they would side with the customer. It was always the drivers fault if service couldn't be made. The driver probably wouldn't get into any trouble but management would tell the customer ANYTHING to make them feel like they had a friend at UPS. (management was good a lying out of both sides of their mouths that way):-)

oldngray

nowhere special
As far as management standing behind you if a complaint came in on an EC package I would say 99 times out of a 100 they would side with the customer. It was always the drivers fault if service couldn't be made. The driver probably wouldn't get into any trouble but management would tell the customer ANYTHING to make them feel like they had a friend at UPS. (management was good a lying out of both sides of their mouths that way):-)

Except in the BOG.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
They will be the first to tell you to EC a package but rip you a new one when the customer complains because "you could've walked it off."

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
After last year, I check the weather and if it is gong to clear up in a day or two, I use the EC option. If not I wait until after pickups and hike the drive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After last year, I check the weather and if it is gong to clear up in a day or two, I use the EC option. If not I wait until after pickups and hike the drive.

So you are saying that you could complete the delivery if you had to but would prefer to wait a day (or two) for nicer weather? Never realized that this was an option.

Holydriver

My
My management has backed me up several times. I'd say at least 5 times I'vegotten complaints and my management took my side of the story. They don't want an accident just as well as I don't.