Edison NJ

P

pickup

OK, it's been 10 hours now. Have I been patient enough?!?!?!?

Anyone know what happened in Edison?

This video was posted on wednesday, nov 11
and this is taken from the video description:

Teamsters local 177 trying to stop the contract violations by ups and the mistreatment of employees

That's all I can add.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can't enlighten you --disrespect people older than you --I guess its fine to be young and stupid ----life goes by in a blink ----try not to be old and stupid ---only YOU can change that !!!!:wink2: Have a good life Bubblehead --I truly wish you the best !
No hard feelings I hope. I am old enough that respect is given out by merit rather than age. I saw what I thought was a pride response rather than an informed opinion. Sorry if it came off harsh. Something out of the ordinary happened to cause the union to take these drastic measures. I like Over9.5 would like to know the whole story.

Last edited:

bluehdmc

Scott Davis was supposed to be visiting, that does not look like him in the video though there and I guess the union got the plane to flyover with the banner during the visit.
Let me just say there are rumors of some underhanded stuff going on around local 177, supervisors working, other jobs being "rearranged", etc. while people were laid off, etc. I guess someone decided this was a way to get a message out.
Granted things may be slow now, but for example the airplane mechanics have been working without a contract for what over 4 yrs? Business was pretty good 4 yrs ago.
Maybe management didn't get raises this year but did they get them 4 yrs ago?

klein

Für Meno :)
I think it's great to see your Union dues finally at work.
There are some safety issues , no doubt.

Time or package numbers per hr for loaders.
And actually even some pc drivers.
Leaving home at 7am, returning at 9pm. And all the stress inbetween.

As far as Islandfox - Bubblehead does have a point.
Besides fox, if it wasn't for the Union, even you wouldn't be so well off today. You got mostly the Union to thank, that your wage $2.16 per hr, has soo much increased, that you have a great retirement.

They must be holding a very interessting pcm there, this morning.
Sometimes, it's good to give them a wake-up call.

Nice going Local 177 Teamsters ! :)

tae111

Your right --things have changed ---I started at $2.19 an hour ----today I am a multi ,multi MILLIONAIRE !!!!!
Go cry to someone else ---I have been there and I have done it !!!!!!

"Also I AM extremely familiar with the Edison Hub ----I worked Midnites there:wink2: probably before you were born sonny ! In fact I remember when the midnight hub was closed and sent up to Meadowlands.
So I am familiar with Edison ----A country club to other places and buildings I have worked ---try working a hub in LA or in Harlem !!! "

You worked for the company at the right time. Even as a driver,back in the 70"s we made arround $7 per hour. I was making $20,000 a year with overtime. Cops and Teachers were making around $15,000. My dad was an Engineer with Bell Labs and I was making more than him. I know quite a few managers and even a few sups that worked back then that are millionaires today. I know a center manager that left with 10 million and a customer service manager that left with 8 million. Thats not likley to happen for the managment today unless you make it to Division manager and even then it's not likley. It was a tough place to work but the rewards were great.
Things have changed. Even after the ecomomy turns around the days of making big bucks at UPS is over. We are a public company now. Management are not "Partners" anymore. The company line "Our people are our most important asset" is changed to our stock holders are our most important asset. I'm glad I worked for this company when it was a great place to work. Good luck to the young pups out there.

rod

Retired 22 years

Time or package numbers per hr for loaders.
And actually even some pc drivers.
Leaving home at 7am, returning at 9pm. And all the stress inbetween.

As far as Islandfox - Bubblehead does have a point.
Besides fox, if it wasn't for the Union, even you wouldn't be so well off today. You got mostly the Union to thank, that your wage $2.16 per hr, has soo much increased, that you have a great retirement.

They must be holding a very interessting pcm there, this morning.
Sometimes, it's good to give them a wake-up call.

I had a center manager tell me that he was happy when our new contract encluded such generous wage increases because that meant he would be getting a big increase also. I think you call it the "trickle up effect".

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Why is it whenever this company has labor issues they always try to make their point at pre-peak? If I was a company who's business depended on UPS being there to service my customers, it may make our customers consider alternative carriers.

This is the make or break time for many companies trying to keep solvent. Sometimes I wish they would just keep it at the negotiating table than resorting to flying a banner for the whole world to see thanks to the Internet.

island1fox

No hard feelings I hope. I am old enough that respect is given out by merit rather than age. I saw what I thought was a pride response rather than an informed opinion. Sorry if it came off harsh. Something out of the ordinary happened to cause the union to take these drastic measures. I like Over9.5 would like to know the whole story.

Bubblehead,
Thank you for the response. I am also familiar with Local 177 --But before I accuse them of any wrong doing ---I agree lets hear the WHOLE story.
There is a contract between UPS and the Teamsters. If rampant contact violations are in fact occuring the union member's dues would be much better spent through various legal venues through the grievance procedure or binding arbitration where the remedy could be very costly to the company if they are indeed guilty.
As was stated --renting a plane with a banner I imagine is very expensive.
I do not speak for management, the union or Scott Davis ---but if Union leadership believes this would impact change --My personal belief is that is foolish and also childish.:wink2:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
$8.50 an hour to start.
1 year for benefits to kick in, 18 months for Dependants.
That's excellent?
Hell no on the excellent thing!!!!! I started in 1989 at 8.00 an hour(minimum wage was something like 4.75 an hour) and got full benefits 30 days later. It is unbelievable that 20 years later the starting rate is only .50 higher when you consider how much more expensive everything is now compared to 20 years ago. And no benefits for a year? I can't believe the union has not addressed the pay scale in the contract negotiations. With minimum wage at 7.75 an hour the part time jobs should be starting at at least 13.00. In twenty years the workload hasn't gotten any easier too which makes 8.50 an hour un comprehensible in my opinion. In a better economy UPS will find it wont be able to get anyone to walk thru the door for part time employment and will have to address the "killing yourself in the hub for minimum wage" issue.

tieguy

Banned
This video was posted on wednesday, nov 11
and this is taken from the video description:

Teamsters local 177 trying to stop the contract violations by ups and the mistreatment of employees

That's all I can add.

Flying the banner is creative , I love the tunes. I'm not sure the video of the ties talking on cell phones does anything for me. I'm guessing they may be ties that are disliked in that building but I'm not sure.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Flying the banner is creative , I love the tunes. I'm not sure the video of the ties talking on cell phones does anything for me. I'm guessing they may be ties that are disliked in that building but I'm not sure.

It looks more to me, like they are listening for a dial tone. Over and over and over....

bluehdmc

Why is it whenever this company has labor issues they always try to make their point at pre-peak? If I was a company who's business depended on UPS being there to service my customers, it may make our customers consider alternative carriers.

This is the make or break time for many companies trying to keep solvent. Sometimes I wish they would just keep it at the negotiating table than resorting to flying a banner for the whole world to see thanks to the Internet.

I guess it could stay at the negotiating table it both parties were truly "negotiating" but if things are in a stalemate then sometimes a little "push" is needed. Maybe the "whole world" needs to be aware of some of these issues.

Bubblehead,
Thank you for the response. I am also familiar with Local 177 --But before I accuse them of any wrong doing ---I agree lets hear the WHOLE story.
There is a contract between UPS and the Teamsters. If rampant contact violations are in fact occuring the union member's dues would be much better spent through various legal venues through the grievance procedure or binding arbitration where the remedy could be very costly to the company if they are indeed guilty.
As was stated --renting a plane with a banner I imagine is very expensive.
I do not speak for management, the union or Scott Davis ---but if Union leadership believes this would impact change --My personal belief is that is foolish and also childish.:wink2:

There are many grievances going on right now. (I'm sure the printer's business is up printing the forms.)
Management's thing seems to be to want to take EVERY greivance to arbitration. This waiting list is now over 2 yrs, meanwhile many of the grieved items are still ongoing.
One of the ploys seems to be to let the greivance get all the way to the arbitrator and then management say's, "we were wrong, we won't do it again".
Till the next time, without an arbitrator's ruling, the do it again, and start the whole process all over.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
:sad-little:Over 10% unemployment ---people complain about a company with excellent pay and benefits . Grow up ! Get a life !
UPS -tough place to work --respectfully work together to make it better ---but bottom line ---love it --or don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I spent 36 tough years with the company both hourly and management,
No job in ups is easy . I respect all who work there --but have no patience for cry babies !!
i highlighted the problem with that statement. drinking from the cup of management at UPS is not something to be proud of:raspberry-tounge:

tieguy

Banned

Ah good someone who has some local knowledge of the events in Edison.

could you tell the rest of us whats going on.

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
Ah good someone who has some local knowledge of the events in Edison.

could you tell the rest of us whats going on.

Hope this is good enough for you now, tie:

Plane Buzzes CEO with Message from UPS

November 12, 2009:
Anticipating a visit by CEO Scott Davis, Local 177 booked a plane to circle UPS’s Edison hub with a banner: “UPS Stop Mistreating Your Employees.”
Outside the hub, Local 177 officers distributed leaflets in the parking lot with the same message.

Local 177 members are fed up with contract violations and company stonewalling in the grievance procedure.
The local has thirty arbitrations scheduled on supervisors working violations—each one dealing with serial violations by individual supervisors. Management has dragged the first hearing out for five days with no end in sight. And that’s just on the first arbitration. There are 29 to go!
Production harassment and ridiculous write-up of package drivers is another major issue—just like it is across the country.

As the plane circled the building, top regional management descended on Edison in a panic. (You can see their worried faces and cell phone scramble and worried faces in the video.)
It shouldn’t take an airplane banner to get management’s attention.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101221022852/http://tdu.org/node/3429