Elections

wkmac

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal!
Emma Goldman

All voting is a sort of gaming, like checkers, or backgammon, a playing with right and wrong; its obligation never exceeds that of expediency. Even voting for the right thing is doing nothing for it. A wise man will not leave the right to the mercy of chance, nor wish it to prevail through the power of the majority.
Henry David Thoreau

I tell people that voting is like being a prisoner in a penitentiary. Every four years the prisoners get to vote for the warden. One candidate for the job promises larger cells for the inmates; the other promises improved food in the cafeteria and, perhaps, longer exercise time. Whichever candidate gets the most votes will be the next warden. It is understood, however, that the inmates will remain in prison; getting to secede from the system is not an option for them.
I liken the voting booth to one of those private booths in an adult bookstore, wherein people can engage in activities they would not want others to know about. But then, we are back to Carlin‘s point, aren’t we?
Butler Shaffer

wkmac

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

The worst government is often the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression.

Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages.

quotes from H. L. Mencken

Why I Don’t Vote

Posted by Lew Rockwell on October 21, 2010 08:59 AM
A lot of people have asked me why I do not vote.
1) Voting is the sacrament of the civil religion. I’m a political atheist.
2) Not voting bugs the regime, and no wonder. Such abstinence, like not complying in other ways, weakens them. What if they held an election and nobody came?
3) It’s a pain in the neck.
4) Your vote doesn’t count, unless the election is decided by a single vote. You are far more likely to be killed on the way to the polls than to have that happen.
5) The candidates itch to rule others. There is no lesser evil.
6) Politics is not our salvation. Indeed, the whole system is corrupt from top to bottom.

#5 sez it all!

wkmac

The Danger of the Partisan Mind

govthreat.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's a riot! He is so famous for buying a few seconds by saying...."may I speak, may I finish my thought ?" OR "I can't talk if you're going to interrupt me."

I'll never forget that when Andy Cohen's show(Watch What's Happening Now) on Bravo was on at midnight.....Barney called in to the show just to joke around. What a dip :censored2:!

TPattonIBT

All of you Teamsters as well as other working men and women make sure you vote for the candadites that support labor. We do not need anyone in office that is not supporting and voting for things that help us. Do your research on your candadites carefully before voting!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I cannot wait for this election cycle to be over.

I was watching the local news last night and of the 15 30 second commercial slots 14 were political ads of which all 14 were negative to some degree. (The other was a car ad.)