Eligibility For Rehire Question.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'm hoping someone might have an answer for me. :)

I worked at UPS for 2.5 years starting in 2002, right after high school. I was a typical teenage dummy and left the company without notice. I'd tried to do apps in the years that followed and I always got the same message "not eligible for rehire etc. etc."

On a whim (and because I'm unemployed) I tried to do the app again and it went through without any issues, I even got scheduled for the orientation tour. I did list that I was a former employee but I don't know why I'm suddenly eligible again.

I would be happy to take the job again but I don't want to waste my time and show for the orientation if they're just going to tell me there was a mistake and I'm not really eligible.

Does anyone have a thoughts on this?

UPSGUY72

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'm hoping someone might have an answer for me. :)

I worked at UPS for 2.5 years starting in 2002, right after high school. I was a typical teenage dummy and left the company without notice. I'd tried to do apps in the years that followed and I always got the same message "not eligible for rehire etc. etc."

On a whim (and because I'm unemployed) I tried to do the app again and it went through without any issues, I even got scheduled for the orientation tour. I did list that I was a former employee but I don't know why I'm suddenly eligible again.

I would be happy to take the job again but I don't want to waste my time and show for the orientation if they're just going to tell me there was a mistake and I'm not really eligible.

Does anyone have a thoughts on this?

Your attitude shows that you haven't grown up to much since the first time you worked for UPS. Most people that want a job show up for there interview/ orientation on a hope that they might get the job. In your case it appears that unless you know you got the job your not showing up. That is why your unemployed

Your attitude shows that you haven't grown up to much since the first time you worked for UPS. Most people that want a job show up for there interview/ orientation on a hope that they might get the job. In your case it appears that unless you know you got the job your not showing up. That is why your unemployed

Looks like you failed a little reading comprehension there chief. I am simply not wanting to waste anyone's time, which I'm sure HR would appreciate since they'd have to spend time on someone who they couldn't hire. If I am still eligible I will happily show up and work hard but I want to make sure nobody wastes time, especially in this economy where you have to work hard just to get a foot in the door.

bbsam

Staff member
Show up and see what happens. Those interviews don't usually last too long and if nothing else the interview process is good experience no matter what happens.

L

Loufan

Looks like you failed a little reading comprehension there chief. I am simply not wanting to waste anyone's time, which I'm sure HR would appreciate since they'd have to spend time on someone who they couldn't hire. If I am still eligible I will happily show up and work hard but I want to make sure nobody wastes time, especially in this economy where you have to work hard just to get a foot in the door.

I don't think you'd be wasting anyones time, it would take 5 minutes for the interviewer to say no you're not eligible for rehire. It just sounds like you don't want to have your time wasted. If you really want this job you'll show up and see what they say.
Honestly from what i've heard, the only time anyone can get their job back after quitting is after putting in their 2 weeks and their full time supervisor can put you on good standings or something like that. I would show up anyway and see what they say.

Show up and see what happens. Those interviews don't usually last too long and if nothing else the interview process is good experience no matter what happens.

True. I just get a bit nervous about this kind of thing which is funny because I'm great at interviews but this situation is a little weird.

UPSGUY72

If I was the one unemployed I would show up to any an all job interviews that I applied for I wouldn't be worried about wasting someones time. You have all day everyday your unemployed. As far as UPS they made a operating profit of $1.4 billion last quarter they aren't worried about you wasting there time yet they only do that after they hire you.

Show up your lucky they took your name off the no rehire list. Anyways your probably not the only one that is going to be at that interview/ orientation they usually have a couple of people there just in case someone doesn't show up or doesn't like the job.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
If you got into the system for a tour/interview/orientation, go for it. Don't worry about wasting anyone's time (hey, they don't worry about wasting peoples time when hiring seasonal driver helpers).
But DO TELL THE INTERVIEWER ABOUT YOUR PAST EMPLOYMENT AND MAKE SURE IT'S ON ANY PAPER OR ONLINE FORMS YOU FILL OUT! In fact use it to sell yourself: you already know how hard the work can be (and did it for 2.5 years)! And take notes of who,where, and when you tell them. For example: 'I told Ms. Jane French in her office during the 1 on 1 interview at 5 PM, and I told Mr. John German at 6:30 PM during the plant tour (in front of all of the tour group) on Monday, May 9, 2011. Keep this note somewhere safe, hopefully you won't ever need it, but you've got it if you do.

Johney

I have never heard of anyone being taken off the NO rehire list. Are you sure you didn't put down some different info by mistake when you reapplied? If this may be the case they will find out down the road and you will be disqualified I'm sure long before you gain seniority. Other than that go and see what they say you never know.