Eliminating Driveway Deliveries

come on red; although i agree with you that is a pretty nonsensical statement.

red; I guess you do not reep any of the benefits from the NAZI offensive in Europe?

same thing almost anything has positive and negative aspects, and proving that does not prove that the thing is good :funny:
Nor do the negitive prove it is bad.
Mexican Standoff.

some1else

Banned
Nor do the negitive prove it is bad.
Mexican Standoff.
its only a standoff if you hold onto that canard (that a piece proves the whole)

you have to look at the net effect of the organization. overall i believe unions do more good than harm, but they still do alot of harm!

its only a standoff if you hold onto that canard (that a piece proves the whole)

you have to look at the net effect of the organization. overall i believe unions do more good than harm, but they still do alot of harm!

The same can be said about your statement,
anything has positive and negative aspects, and proving that does not prove that the thing is good

UPS Lifer

In a perfect world we shouldn't need unions. But the world is not perfect. No matter what side of the coin you look at, there is greed and power struggles and people who will do anything to feed their ego no matter what the cost.

The key is balance - UPS and the Teamsters have a pretty good balance. The grievance process is necessary and allows the two parties to work through issues.

Breaking this down as simply as possible - the company needs to make a reasonable profit and the employees need to be treated fairly.

Unions are an essential part of the business process especially within large companies like UPS.

People that think unions are bad are not looking at the whole picture.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer,
Why were you never one of my supervisors? Its a shame people like you are the few and far in between.
I agree with you. I would love to have him as a sup/mgr.
In a perfect world we shouldn't need unions. But the world is not perfect. No matter what side of the coin you look at, there is greed and power struggles and people who will do anything to feed their ego no matter what the cost.

The key is balance - UPS and the Teamsters have a pretty good balance. The grievance process is necessary and allows the two parties to work through issues.

Breaking this down as simply as possible - the company needs to make a reasonable profit and the employees need to be treated fairly.

Unions are an essential part of the business process especially within large companies like UPS.

People that think unions are bad are not looking at the whole picture.
I have to agree with 804. I know I've said it before and will say it again. Sure wish you were here at our ctr. Maybe we wouldn't be going through this nightmare of what's called PAS. I'm not getting this, naybe some day I can pick your brain about PAS. Everyday, more and more, I'm hating it. They've dissolved 2 rtes already and are trying to take out a 3rd one. They killing us. I didn't get home tonite until almost 9:30. Right now, I'd gladly tell EDD to kiss my A**. Our Lord God and Savior (PAS) doesn't have a friend* clue. We have had more miss loads in the last 3 weeks than we had in the last 6 months. And to top that off, I found out tonite they are changing the line-up again. Here goes another round of insane misloads.

:soapbox:Ok, I'm stepping down now.:dissapointed:

NHDRVR

I agree with you. I would love to have him as a sup/mgr.

I have to agree with 804. I know I've said it before and will say it again. Sure wish you were here at our ctr. Maybe we wouldn't be going through this nightmare of what's called PAS. I'm not getting this, naybe some day I can pick your brain about PAS. Everyday, more and more, I'm hating it. They've dissolved 2 rtes already and are trying to take out a 3rd one. They killing us. I didn't get home tonite until almost 9:30. Right now, I'd gladly tell EDD to kiss my A**. Our Lord God and Savior (PAS) doesn't have a friend* clue. We have had more miss loads in the last 3 weeks than we had in the last 6 months. And to top that off, I found out tonite they are changing the line-up again. Here goes another round of insane misloads.

Our center (0302) is past the PAS system, we have had it for about 3 years, and are on to the next stamping system. We were informed that the $9,000 a month for labels is way too much yet they are implementing the PAS in other centers, go figure.
This new system uses a red stamp that is hard to read, preloaders are missing it, misloads are going up, etc.
The PAS system was supposed to make it easy for any loader to go to any truck and simply follow the load sequence. UPS wanted to take the skill out of the pre-load. The best loader I ever had was a guy named John who could do a 4-car pull and nail it stop for stop every day. He had to know the roads and the splits and, looking back, it seemed to be a better way to train the loaders. They had to think about what they were doing. No offense to the current wave (you work just as hard) but you aren't expected to know very much about the drivers routes.

:soapbox:Ok, I'm stepping down now.:dissapointed:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
One of my biggest complaints is that our air is loaded. If it was loaded on shelf 1 that would be fine. But, NO! It's loaded everywhere. I had a late one yesterday b/c I couldn't find it. And you know what, I don't care. This whole thing is assinine. They taken away the need for my preloader to be responsible for the job they do. But the driver is still responsible for making sure everything gets delivered on time. I think this is BS!

Preload just throws the boxes on the shelf, still. There is little order to it. I still have to stop and sort. Right now I'm at the point of just throwing everything on the floor and then resorting it. If I had room to do that it would help. But since they broke 2 rtes permanantly we don't have room to walk in the trucks much less find anything. I tell ya what, if they start riding herd and pushing hard the late air issue, I will start screaming bloody murder.

UPS Lifer

In Southern California, Pas was started in 2003-04. What I don't understand is why the districts aren't sharing the growing pains with each other. I was not involved in the PAS implementation but I heard about the horror stories and pains that those folks went through. This is another step in the evolution of the last cycle of the package before the delivery.

I remember full-time night load or driver load operation. Those employees placed the packages in a bin (like the package car shelves) and used a map to line up the deliveries! They recorded every package on a delivery record and edge or brick loaded the package car. There were no shelves inside a delivery vehicle! One bump and the packages could be everywhere (no different then today!).

Over time, the shelves or bins inside the building were eliminated, the pre-recording was eliminated, full-timers were absorbed into other positions. Though, some full time preloaders still exist today. If UPS would have stayed with this system, the company would not exist today as we know it.

The key to success after implementation is maintaining PAS and EDD. An excellent trainer or trainers is/are needed to help provide a stop gap for the lack of skill that new loaders now have. PAS helps to minimize the knowledge level needed to load BUT it does not eliminate the SKILL needed to load nor does it eliminate the ability to recognize misloads. These are the concepts that you and your management teams need to recognize and make adjustments to.

You need to scream and holler and management needs to recognize and adjust to this.
Based on what I hear from you, this will be a long process. You might want to put a bug into your division managers ear to check with SEC district and see what is working well for them. I am sure Arizona District has a PAS coordinator. This coordinator is probably spending time in your center. Bend that person's ear a little and see if what they have learned from other districts that could help with this major implementation.

I just got my first PAS package out of Camp Verde yesterday! There is no getting around the learning curve but that will get better as each week passes.

I hope it gets better for you and the other drivers sooner than later.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
PAS/EDD is a fundamentally sound concept, but can only work as well as it is implemented.

In my building, UPS tried to implement it on the cheap. Sufficent resources and manpower were never allocated, and it initially created more far problems than it solved.

I brought back more missed NDA deliveries in the first 6 months with PAS than I had in my previous 18 years without it.

5 yrs later most of the bugs have been worked out and it is running smoothly. They could have worked them out in the first few weeks had there been a willingness on the part of the company to spend the money.

What UPS basically did with PAS....was to buy a $250,000 Ferrari and then pour $.99-per-quart generic oil into the crankcase. They could never understand why their new toy kept blowing up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In Southern California, Pas was started in 2003-04. What I don't understand is why the districts aren't sharing the growing pains with each other. I was not involved in the PAS implementation but I heard about the horror stories and pains that those folks went through. This is another step in the evolution of the last cycle of the package before the delivery.

I remember full-time night load or driver load operation. Those employees placed the packages in a bin (like the package car shelves) and used a map to line up the deliveries! They recorded every package on a delivery record and edge or brick loaded the package car. There were no shelves inside a delivery vehicle! One bump and the packages could be everywhere (no different then today!).

Over time, the shelves or bins inside the building were eliminated, the pre-recording was eliminated, full-timers were absorbed into other positions. Though, some full time preloaders still exist today. If UPS would have stayed with this system, the company would not exist today as we know it.

The key to success after implementation is maintaining PAS and EDD. An excellent trainer or trainers is/are needed to help provide a stop gap for the lack of skill that new loaders now have. PAS helps to minimize the knowledge level needed to load BUT it does not eliminate the SKILL needed to load nor does it eliminate the ability to recognize misloads. These are the concepts that you and your management teams need to recognize and make adjustments to.
And this is one of my biggest complaints. They have taken away any responsibility of the preloader to do their job. They are basically robots or zoombies. I had a misload last week on one of the rtes. I told the preloader to pull it. He argued with me. I can't take it off. I could believe it. He freaking was arguing with me over a rte that he has never delivered and I know like the back of my hand. And he wouldn't pull it.
You need to scream and holler and management needs to recognize and adjust to this.
I'd be happy if they would put the air on shelf 1. I have screamed about this and so far it has made no difference. If the time comes that I start getting DocTalks because of late air, it will not be pretty.
Based on what I hear from you, this will be a long process. You might want to put a bug into your division managers ear to check with SEC district and see what is working well for them. I am sure Arizona District has a PAS coordinator. This coordinator is probably spending time in your center. Bend that person's ear a little and see if what they have learned from other districts that could help with this major implementation.
Yes, he is here. Has been for 3/4 wks now. And this is another issue. From what Sober said after your post I believe it. At first there were several people here. They are all gone and Brandon is left here by himself trying to straighten out 3800 or 4800 streets. He mentioned that figure this morning. UPS is trying to implement this on the backbone of one person and it is a huge flop.
I just got my first PAS package out of Camp Verde yesterday! There is no getting around the learning curve but that will get better as each week passes.
I know, I delivered it to you. LOL
I hope it gets better for you and the other drivers sooner than later.
I hope so too because right now everyone is ready to mutiny. All 9.5's have gone through the roof. We have drivers that have nevered filed that are threatening to. I try to offer as much encouragement as possible.
FILE! PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Maybe you can explain how they think that dissolving 2 rtes is going to help our over-alloweds. Our time studies aren't right to begin with. They haven't been done in 10 yrs. We have a huge population explosion in the last 10/15 yrs. Both of our areas (yours and mine) have seen huge increases in the retirement population. Anyone (except UPS) that has half a brain will know that this increases the deliveries (specifically the QVC queens) but they aren't the only ones. We live in an isolated valley and do not have the retail recources that many big city retirees are used to.

OK, enough! I could go on but I won't. Sorry!:peaceful:

UPS Lifer

Dill,
I got your message a day late! Thank you for the delivery!

I don't prescribe to the same approach as I have seen in recent years. I don't believe in loading drivers up... never have. It doesn't work - you get very short term results.

You have the division manager available - I know he is probably very busy but I think you should talk to him. Tell him what you said here. See what he has to say.

What are the trends in growth? Are you seeing an increase or decrease year to year and month to month in volume of deliveries. What about pick up volume - increase or decrease?

These numbers are easy to obtain.

If nothing else it will give you another piece of the puzzle.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our volume is down somewhat. We have been running 200 to 250% while this time last year we ran 250 to 300%. The stop counts are not down, however. IMHO. I can ask about the numbers but 1. it would be greek to me and 2. I don't trust them to even be honest. I ran 88 stops today at 162 pcs. That is in par for that rte the same time last year. This particular rte has not lost the volume or the stops. I had an 8 hr day for today, that is why my stop count was low. On a normal day this rte goes out with anywhere from 120-140 stops (full load) on a rural rte. It is insane. There is only 1 driver that can do it and be anywhere near a 9.5 day, and he skips lunch, breaks, and runs. And drives like a madman. I know, Ive talked to the customers. And he gets beat by an hour. I will look on monday and see what my planned day was for today. The numbers are so far out they are in the Twilight Zone.

Pick up volume is down in some areas but not in others (parts of the valley).

I could go on and on about our DM (distr not div) but I can't w/o naming names. And to complicated.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer, this is what I did last fri. I had an 8 hr request so they pulled work off. This is a rural rte that avgs 110/130 stops when nothing is pulled and well over 100 miles.

7.55 hrs pd. 12.35 sporh 73 miles 88 stops 162 pkgs(does not include p/u which are minimal) 140 o/a

The over-allowed is what gets me. It's bs. There is no way the o/a is right. I know this rte extremely well. I run less miles on it than the regular driver does. I take 10 or 15 mins to sort through what I have because I won't run it the way it is set up in PAS(not set up right yet). I won't run it the same way that the regular driver runs it. It's wasting time and miles.

UPS Lifer

Next time you are on that route you should run it the way it is set up. Don't change your other methods. See what the difference is in the plan vs actual and o/a.

How long since the routes have been studied?