Entire paycheck for initiation fee???

RolloTony Brown Town

Imagine working all last week for nothing...
2 weeks before Christmas.

I'm not sure who's to blame, UPS or the Teamsters, but there should have been a better plan.

The teamsters are the ones that inform the company of the dues to deduct. This was a local 25 foul up. I had a guy come up to me that lost 700. He gave almost twice as much to the union than he took home in one paycheck. There were countless zero checks out there.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
i thought the definition of the free period was that days worked during said period do not count towards making book. a union book. (fun fact: its called that cause back in the day you had a physical book and you got a stamp each month that you paid dues.) initiation fees and first dues should not be deducted until you worked the appropriate amount of days outside the free period and made book. ugh. i see after typing all this that it is ANOTHER issue in the supplement and not in the master.

ARTICLE 13
SENIORITY
Section 1 – Acquisition of Seniority
(a) After forty days of work within a seventy consecutive work day period, (excluding orientation) a new employee will acquire seniority and the employee shall be given a seniority date as of his/her first day of employment (orientation) worked within such 70 consecutive work day period. If, however, the employee does not complete the 40 days within these 70 days his/her seniority date will be the first day of the 40 worked within any subsequent seventy (70) workday period.

(b) There shall be a free period, beginning October 15 and ending January 15 the following year, during which no employee can qualify for seniority.

over9five

Staff member
You can't blame this exclusively on the Teamsters.
UPS should have said, "No, we're not going to do that to our employees. Go back to the installment plan".
Giving hundreds of employees a zero dollar check didn't raise a red flag? Are you serious?

RolloTony Brown Town

You can't blame this exclusively on the Teamsters.
UPS should have said, "No, we're not going to do that to our employees. Go back to the installment plan".
Giving hundreds of employees a zero dollar check didn't raise a red flag? Are you serious?

The company doesn’t have that option. Union dues are requested by the IBT. It’s their responsibility to make sure they don’t take advantage of prospective employees who sign a form stating they agree to pay 32 or 50 per week until their initiation fee is paid.

The company complied with the local’s request per the agreement between the company and union.

over9five

Staff member
The company doesn’t have that option. Union dues are requested by the IBT. It’s their responsibility to make sure they don’t take advantage of prospective employees who sign a form stating they agree to pay 32 or 50 per week until their initiation fee is paid.

The company complied with the local’s request per the agreement between the company and union.
I disagree.
The company should have protected it's employees. This dumb move will lose us employees during Peak when we need them most. Don't you think the company should have done that? Wasn't it you who said the company had you sign a form that said the money would be taken out in small installments? Isn't that an agreement between you and the company?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
This post has been reported. We don't like sensible posts here. Brown Café is for garbage, arguing, irrelevant Youtube videos, satire and/or wrong information only.

Ahhh... I forgot about that.

I need to up my browncafe game

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
We have a few preloaders where the union fees were more than what they made that week. The union had the loaders write the union a personal check to remain in the union.
How do you make less than $40 a month?
Also union shops are compulsory and you cannot deny any benefits for not paying so they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit in this state.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I saw a $.27 UPS check posted on another social media site the other day, that's ridiculous. Some of these initiation fees are crazy, I don't even remember what mine was in '78. It shouldn't be more than $25 in my opinion for part time, that should cover filing paperwork.

Boston25

The teamsters are the ones that inform the company of the dues to deduct. This was a local 25 foul up. I had a guy come up to me that lost 700. He gave almost twice as much to the union than he took home in one paycheck. There were countless zero checks out there.

You are wrong it was a UPS foul up not Local 25. Now you sound like management. I don't know how long you have been with UPS but it has happened in our building before. You should ask your management team why they withheld giving Local 25 the dues applications to Local 25 and why they have multiple people who never had dues taken out of their checks? Management actually argued with me that the local has access to UPS payroll to deduct the dues out of members checks. Which is not true

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Not only is this practice of taking a fee from seasonals wrong but it also creates a lot of anti union sentiment in a time where unions need as much public support as they can get. The 20 year old you :censored2: over now will grow up and never forget how he or she worked hard for a week only to have the union take everything.