Ethics and personal responsibilty

john346

No more Brown!
When you say close at 6pm does that mean that they are a gated community? If so, may I suggest you get to know one of the residents who frequently gets pkgs and ask them for the entry code. I would think leaving would not be an issue, just getting in.
I agree, and do the similar, I have lock codes for gates, and businesses, I also have a key chain that would choke a rhino. But it is with a careful understanding between the customer and me that if I enter a gated area, and get confronted by anyone other than who allowed me access, I will make my best explaination, but if they don't seem to like it, then the game is over.
Should ANYONE'S home within the community be burgularized, I do not want to be on the short list of possibilities. This has happened twice in my 24 years. One was a community of affluent Sun Valley transplants, one woman wanted her stuff, the rest of the people had bought way into the country to seperate themselves from the sights of UPS vans. One confrontation from another resident, I tried to explain that she had a package, I had to get it off of the car, none of you have telephones where I can contact for an alternate. What would you do? "Send the mother*#@^er back!" The next am, I received a concern that should I be spotted within the gate again he would press tresspassing charges. Of course the center manager wanted me to call the guy and apologize, but dang the luck, the fellow whom I presume was named Dick, didn't have a telephone that I could call. I dropped her key in an envelope, with an explination and a copy of the complaint, and left all future packages for her with her friends. Two weeks later, you guessed it, she complained about the non-service!
Might as well love it, because hating it dosen't do any good.
:whiteflag:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Daniel, I never expected this to turn out the way it has. It has been a great thread and your initial post started it all. Well kinda.

This thread has run the gambit of personal responsibility, to company ethics and responsibility and morals. Everything from tats and personal appearance has been covered.

Now lets change it up a little. I Pm'd Daniel. After having had a really bad week I needed some input. I was pulled into the office for going over 9.5 on Monday. DM said he needed to 'micro-manage' my time. His words not mine. That was just one of the things that happened, and they sure as hell don't worry about me going over on thurs and fri. That happens 90% of the time. On thurs they broke out my bidded rte and forced me over 9.5. I had an 8 hr request for thurs, which was conviently lost. I didn't clock out until 9pm.

I asked Daniel how he did it for 33 yrs. I had lost focus last week (and actually for much longer than just last week). So I asked him for some guidance. Basically his responce was 'one day at a time'. Now it's everyone elses turn. Tie made a statement and it's obvious that he is going to ignore my request to clarify his statement. Since Tie is not going to respond, does anyone have any idea where he was going with his statement?

"I'll keep my argument simple for now. Some people do a terrific job of gaining good treatment. Others seem to make theirselves victims all the time. Why is that? What makes one different from the other."

IMHO, I don't think his argument holds any water. I think he was speaking of violating the contract to gain preferential treatment. I choose not to do this. I have a contract and I hold the company accountable to that contract. Tie, you seem to post more in Labor Relations than in Discussions. Since you seem to know so much about the contract then you will be familiar with Art. 37 Sect 1a.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

Since you were the catylist for the thread, you actually deserve the Kudos I got for expressing it.

As for the subject you just brought up, hows about we start another thread, and I will Give you my take.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill

Since you were the catylist for the thread, you actually deserve the Kudos I got for expressing it.

As for the subject you just brought up, hows about we start another thread, and I will Give you my take.

d
Lead on oh most thoughtful master!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

brownman15

When you say close at 6pm does that mean that they are a gated community? If so, may I suggest you get to know one of the residents who frequently gets pkgs and ask them for the entry code. I would think leaving would not be an issue, just getting in.

apartment office closes at 6pm residents want pkgs del 2 office but since i am del after office closes people are diverting 2 other carriers

UPS Lifer

I agree, and do the similar, I have lock codes for gates, and businesses, I also have a key chain that would choke a rhino. But it is with a careful understanding between the customer and me that if I enter a gated area, and get confronted by anyone other than who allowed me access, I will make my best explaination, but if they don't seem to like it, then the game is over. ...

Might as well love it, because hating it dosen't do any good.
:whiteflag:

I guess I am confused on this. One of the residents has given you permission to enter a gated community. I do not think that any resident can tell you that you are trespassing. I would bet that the CC&Rs indicate that delivery or service personnel if given permission are able to enter the community.

I can't see how you could get in trouble for that. ????

brownman15

I think what he is talking about is not access, but the ability to leave packages for the residents at the office.

I delivered several large appartment complexes like that. Had it not been for the office taking the packages, I would have had 15 or more sendagains just from those areas. And they did close at 5, So I always tried to get there before then.

99% of the neighbors would not take them either.

IMHO, since you deliver there after the office closes, they should be shown as missed. Even though you attempted delivery, you could have delivered them to the office had you been there during regular business hours.

But EDD knows best.

d

this is what i meant and they should be sheeted as missed because they are residential

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'll keep my argument simple for now. Some people do a terrific job of gaining good treatment. Others seem to make theirselves victims all the time. Why is that? What makes one different from the other.
Still waiting Tie. Guess you don't forgive whatever past transgressions that have occured. Sure wish I knew what it was that I did to piss you off.

john346

No more Brown!
I guess I am confused on this. One of the residents has given you permission to enter a gated community. I do not think that any resident can tell you that you are trespassing. I would bet that the CC&Rs indicate that delivery or service personnel if given permission are able to enter the community.

I can't see how you could get in trouble for that. ????

I don't believe I can get into any real trouble for that. The problem is UPS mgmt see's a complaint, and want's it resolved. One customer want's me to come in, another or according to this guy, others (I assume he's correct as she was the only one getting pkgs), dosen't. All of which is exacerbated by the fact that you cannot contact them. No land lines, and even if I had a cellular number, it won't work up there, they'd probably have to drive ten to fifteen miles out to get a signal.
On top of it all, this guy was a complete ass about it. When I explained my obligations, he told me to send the M/Fing pkg back, when I told him I couldn't do that, he took it to a personal level where my first inclination was to unbuckle and get out of the car. Better that I stayed away, if you know what I mean.
There are some of these people from Sun Valley that are pretty cool, but for the most part, the ones that purchase property and move into my area, are pretty snobbish. Everyone here is so beneath them, they won't purchase ANYTHING local. The lumber & supplies to build their homes are brought in from elsewhere, when the local lumberyard will do handstands to get your business to stay afloat.
Anyhow, she has since sold and moved, and since then not once have I seen a pkg for up there. Fine by me.

upsdude

I won’t take codes, keys or any other method of entering a gate or building of a customer. I do my best to enter when someone is available to let me in. I’ll leave notes make phone calls or whatever I have to do. I’m not going to be the first suspect if something goes south. The center is no more that 20 minutes away, they can pick it up in will call.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Oh yeah, shining my shoes is sooooooo important. How many accounts did we lose last year due to dirty shoes? I think I read on foxnews business that the number 1 reason why businesses go bankrupt is because employees won't do what mommie says and shine their shoes... or was that not covering up tattoos? I forget now.
you want to be a slob,go to fedex ground or dhl you want to look like a ups man and get paid like one??? DRESS LIKE ONE !!!!

Covemastah

I have to disagree a little on this. RPS lost customers because they couldn't do what they said they would do which was deliver packages on time. The same can be said for DHL. They're not losing billions because their driver's won't shower or shave or shine their shoes, they're losing billions because they can't deliver their packages on time.

Maybe we should start a poll to find out how many drivers were told to go to the back door because their shoes weren't shined.

Good rapport between the driver and consignee or shipper, I think that trumps shined shoes any day. Throw in a dash of consistency, and that's really what gets drivers (and BD people) in the front door.
most b.d people wouldn't get in the door unless the customer liked and had respect for the well groomed driver he see's daily and thats a known fact!!

Covemastah

I guess I don't get it then.

I'll make you a deal. When my truck, windshield and cab gets washed, and the years of waterspots on my mirrors get removed, I'll polish my shoes.

Until then, I'll just blend in with my truck and continue to not get it. why do you insist on being so negative??
i am not picking on you per say but you are bringing negative attention to yourself!! when they start breaking your stones for the little things and they don't say anything to the next guy, i think you will get the picture!! Grow up wash your wind shield and mirrors and take some pride in your self!!! there is an exit door here and no one will force you back in .everyone is replacable at ups with your attitude its only a matter of time before they come after you..you like the job ? you like the money?? grow up !!!!

UPS Lifer

Covemaster brings up some good points on appearance. We need to remember that the UPS driver is the number one sales person the company has. a BD person may not get a foot in the door without that positive image the driver has with his/her customer!

Here is something to think about....

How would you feel if a police officer or doctor or your lawyer or fireman looked like a slob? How about a tattoo going across the knuckles or a tear drop next to his/her eye? How about a tat of a skull popping out of the collar of his/her shirt?

Where would your confidence level as they performed their professional duties??? Would you be looking for someone who fits the image of what you expect?

With no prior knowledge of capability....
If you had a choice of a person who looks professional and fits the "image", would you still pick the slob????

upsdude

I was shinning my shoes and wearing clean clothes long before working at UPS. I kind of did that stuff for me. Tattoos never did much for me so I don’t have any.

My Dad owned a gas station, a real they pump the gas gas station, he didn’t allow his employees to have beards or long hair and everyone wore a uniform.

I guess it was my upbringing. LOL.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Covemaster brings up some good points on appearance. We need to remember that the UPS driver is the number one sales person the company has. a BD person may not get a foot in the door without that positive image the driver has with his/her customer!

Though i can charm the pants of the customer and get that account. I will not do that because the rest of 170 stops is not gonna jump off the pkg car by itself.

Here is something to think about....

How would you feel if a police officer or doctor or your lawyer or fireman looked like a slob? How about a tattoo going across the knuckles or a tear drop next to his/her eye? How about a tat of a skull popping out of the collar of his/her shirt?

If you tell the cop that he must arrest 20 perps everyday from 9-7. The doctor must treat up to 6 people every hour, 8 hrs a day. The fireman must rush to 10 fires every shift. Then you gonna see if they still have the time to keep up their appearance.

Where would your confidence level as they performed their professional duties??? Would you be looking for someone who fits the image of what you expect?
IF they can perform as they are paid to do. yes i would have confidence in their abilities to do the job.

With no prior knowledge of capability....
If you had a choice of a person who looks professional and fits the "image", would you still pick the slob????

If they can get the job done, then I wouldn't care .

UPS Lifer

If they can get the job done, then I wouldn't care .

Soooo apparently it is your opinion that you can come to work looking like a slob!

I wasn't talking about how much work you have to process everyday. I wasn't talking about what you look like at the end of your shift.

Just to magnify this a little more ....
I guess it is just me.... If a dentist has a tooth missing and yellow teeth and bad breath - I am not going to ask him to work in my mouth!

.... and if I am paying for a personal trainer and the person is 40 lbs. overweight with a big belly and no muscle definition and I can smell smoke on their breath - I probably will move on to the next person!

I am just saying - take pride in your appearance, it does define you. UPS knows this and has a minimum expectation for those folks who meet the public. If you don't like it, you can choose to work elsewhere.

You also skirted my last question.... If you had a choice of a person who looks professional and fits the "image", would you still pick the slob????