EVEN MORE Over Complication of this oh so simple job... Ughh

JackStraw

I've used my helper as a runner for 28 yrs. I asked a sup what does he do when he gets stuck with the board and he said "Well he can call you" Huh? My truck isn't equipped with a phone and they aren't to have phones anyway. Hypocrisy 101.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If you are like us, you pick up your helper on area, so no clean in/clean out procedures. His having a cell phone wouldn't matter. Now, if you are a driver who objects to using his cell phone for business-which I totally get-that's another matter.

The company didn't hire runners, they hired helpers, i.e. someone to help the drivers deliver. And by seeing to it that helpers learn the board it makes them that much more valuable on the long run.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
The only rules we have in my center are 30 stops in the helper DIAD and the helper must be offer lunch when working over 6 hrs. Which is not a probably for me since I always take my lunch at the schedule time, helper or not and my stomach lets me know around 1300 that lunch is getting close. I'm glad my management team has some common sense by not having us follow some of these frivolous rules.

DS

Fenderbender
1: Your OCA "ETA" is the new "COMMIT TIME" When you enter an ETA for an OCA you MUST be there before that time, but within the 15 minute window.
Example, OCA, Time-9:50 Ready-10:00 Commit-19:00 ETA- 13:30 You MUST be there 13:15-13:30 NO EXCEPTIONS Have a bad load with missing pieces and misloads, now I'm behind schedule, I have to break off for these oncalls where I set the ETA. Huge waste of time. Problem. On roads say set your ETA for the Commit time in initial on call to avoid the issue. You've just lost the 20 minute ETA alert. I'm aware of my pickups but like all of you, have a crazy day. Now I find myself frequently driving by my OCA's because I dont get the reminder that I'm used to.
Any violation is grounds for a warning letter. Period.

I usually get from 12 to 20 on calls every day.I hate them,but it's a big part of my day.
The trick is to accept it,and if the close time is 4PM type in 15:59.
The diad gives you 20 minutes to do the p/u and complete it.
You can lock it in before the cutoff time and it does not matter what time you complete it.
I'm in Toronto and usually get 3-6 on calls every day for other drivers.I kick them out with
the out of area option and type in the name of the driver that does that area.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
This company has always done ridiculous things like these. Why? Because someone yuck in a cubicle in Sandy Springs has to try earn his or her salary, in the most stupid way possible. Rules for the sake of rules almost always interferes with efficiency. But when a company as large as UPS creates committees and pays big money to consulting firms like McKinsey and Deloitte, they want some return on their money, even if the results make no sense and actually end up costing more money than the ideas are supposed to save.

This has been going on for many, many years at UPS. And truth be told, most huge multi-national corporations do the same damn thing. For all of the talk that CEO's ramble on about big government bureaucracy, corporations are no different than government.

Actually, corporations are worse than government, because you don't get to vote the schmucks out every two years.

Buck Fifty

A couple things started coming out of their mouths in the past couple of weeks.
More over complication, causing more problems.

1: Your OCA "ETA" is the new "COMMIT TIME" When you enter an ETA for an OCA you MUST be there before that time, but within the 15 minute window.
Example, OCA, Time-9:50 Ready-10:00 Commit-19:00 ETA- 13:30 You MUST be there 13:15-13:30 NO EXCEPTIONS Have a bad load with missing pieces and misloads, now I'm behind schedule, I have to break off for these oncalls where I set the ETA. Huge waste of time. Problem. On roads say set your ETA for the Commit time in initial on call to avoid the issue. You've just lost the 20 minute ETA alert. I'm aware of my pickups but like all of you, have a crazy day. Now I find myself frequently driving by my OCA's because I dont get the reminder that I'm used to.
Any violation is grounds for a warning letter. Period.

2: Helpers as "Runners" a new report showed up pinned to the wall the other day. The system now detects patterns between the drivers board and the helper board. They want the helper using the Diad at every stop. It detects patterns where it knows the driver may be using the helper board and using the helper as a runner. This is unacceptable and the helper must use the board at every stop. I typically let my helper use the board and business buildings that I drop him at, than I use him as a runner and d/r his packages until we hit 50 than it gets thrown in the back. This will get you a talking to the next day. This is absolutely un-necessary complication. You want it done, stop making it harder.

3: I dont even have to start on how ridiculous *.99 hours for helper time is.

4: Helper board must have a stop every half hour even if helper isnt with you yet. Every 25-30 minutes you must remember to enter one stop into the helper board. Gaps of .50/hr or longer cause an issue in the system or so they say. Must remember to put stuff in their board, this is grounds for a warning letter if not followed.

I've got other gripes but it's bed time

You feel better now ?

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't know how a driver with a rural route can do this (dropping off a helper with stops), but for the rest of you what is the big deal?

The route I was covering has quite a few roads that you drive down, turn around and come out the same way you went in (think roads going onto lake penisulas.) I would drop her off at a driveway, she would walk that stop, I would drive to the next, deliver, turn around and pick her up. Usually did that at least 6 times a day. In town business, she would do one side of the street and I would do the other. For resis, if they were close, drop her at the 1st, I drive ahead to the next, deliver and we meet at the truck.

Other times, I would drop her at the door and get the PC turned and pointed toward the road. Usually, she would get back to the truck just as I was getting the next stop out from the back.

Last week, we were doing 140 stops a day, I was picking her up at 11ish and she was done at 1500ish. I would take break at 1530 and usually have less than 10 stops left. Our best day we were .99 under and our worse was .77 under. The week before, I was told to use her board more and I was over allowed that day. The day we were .99 under, we had to go back to talk to a supe about on observation that added 10 minutes to our day.

There is no where on that route where it would be an advantage to drop her with a hand truck and a bunch of stops and come back and get her.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Barn, provided she is using a DIAD to deliver her stops, you wouldn't have a problem with the new 20 min idle DIAD report.

Myself, I find leaving the helper with 16 or so stops makes it easier to sort, especially at the start of the helper's day when the truck is still packed. Suddenly half of a whole shelf is clear. I'll drop the next section for the helper on the floor (opening up even more shelf space; I don't sort his section, for he can do that), sort the section I will deliver, and then go.

With the GPS in the DIADs now, it makes sense having the helper stop-complete the stops at the door (as per the methods) than the driver doing so on the truck.

kingOFchester

The company didn't hire runners, they hired helpers, i.e. someone to help the drivers deliver. And by seeing to it that helpers learn the board it makes them that much more valuable on the long run.

I am not paid and I have not been trained on how to teach a helper how to use a DIAD that I don't use. I also do not feel comfortable relying on a 8.50 an hour seasonal helper to complete the stop in the proper manner. If something goes wrong, ultimately I am responsible for everything that happens on the road.

I asked my helper if he received any training on how to use the DIAD. He said he asked during the training whether they will learn how to use the "computer". He was told "only the driver uses the DIAD." If they want the helpers to use the DIAD they should properly train the helper or allow me to code out time so I can properly train the helper.

UPS has the technology to see our stop per hour and able to see if we are effectively using ourselves as a team. Our center has a hard on for reaching ALL of the required number set from above and all I see is tons and tons of man hours being spent to reach these idiotic numbers.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I am paid a little shy of $32/hr to train my helper. It is part of my regular pay code. Mgmt understands if I have a bad first couple of days with a new helper it is because I am training him.

I suspect the motive for awhile now has been they were helpers, not runners. This edict to use helpers in this fashion is not new to me. Now they have come up with a new way to see to it that we do so.

I was once an $8.50 helper. Thankfully it didn't take long for my driver to see my work ethic and determine I was trustworthy enough to properly leave a box at the door while he delivered somewhere else. OTOH, I've met and heard of sone very dishonest top-scale drivers. Level pay does not necessarily correlate to level of how responsible and trustworthy someone is.

I was able to become a driver after only one year on the preload. This was in part due to a driver graciously taking the time to show me how to use the DIAD, and after observing me deliver several stops and show I was capable to deliver to the proper house and hide it once there to let me help him. Learning to use the DIAD can be a real asset for someone who hopes to be a driver one day. I have seen it advocated here how we by our actions-whether it is sorting off the clock (something I've applied because of what I've read here) or even using our cell phones-can hurt the chances of someone looking to go FT. Training someone how to use the DIAD is a great way to help a future-driver. If he or she makes it, is that enough compensation?

Last edited:

Brain Genocide

My driver showed me how to use a DIAD on day one, only problem was that he showed it to me real fast while we walked or while he was scanning, having a truck with 300+ stops is not the time to be a teacher. He and I have worked together on it and I have been able to scan, deliver, get signature, leave note and scan..........all while he's organizing the truck or making another delivery. It's the finer issues with the DIAD that get me, entering suite #'s, typing in the savers, transfering boxes to another driver, switching from Huge Diad to nice skinny one, ( updating ). If Orientation would have given us a 30 minute crash course I think us helpers could be more efficient. Orientation is a whole new topic.

JakeD

I agree.. if they want the helpers to be more proficient with the DIAD they should spend more time in orientation on it. Our orientation guy talked about HOW to drive for like 30-40 minutes.. i have no idea why. I honestly don't remember half of what the guy talked about because it was such a long day with little substance. Also, they keep the packets they give us so you don't have any references to look at later. It is a lot different scanning something in a conference room than it is on a bumpy truck or while walking. DIAD III is so freaking clunky that i don't bother trying to scan while walking. i will scan in the truck or wait until i get to the door and put it down.. no point slowing my walking speed down mis-scanning. They don't pay enough to make us care about efficiency. if it takes an extra hour it helps me not hurts.

they sure do worry a lot about helpers that are only around for 2 weeks.

barnyard

KTM rider
Barn, provided she is using a DIAD to deliver her stops, you wouldn't have a problem with the new 20 min idle DIAD report.

She does not. The helper is my age and does not like to wear cheaters. She wears sunglasses during the day and cannot see the board very well. It is hard to be real critical though, she shows up every day on time and the only time she has balked is when there are really large dogs around. I can live with that. She has even suggested that I drop her off at different spots for particular places because it will be faster.

At close to an hour under allowed, my bosses should shut up about it and be happy.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I really think you guys are over thinking this. I go out with a helper and use a helper as a runner as i have every peak since 1988. In the morning when they come to me with the report and tell me they want him to use the diad more ,or any other silly nonsense I look very serious,and say'Ok, i'll try to do better today' ................next morning when they tell me i am overallowed,helper not using the Diad enough or any other silly nonsense i never admit or deny anything, I simply respond again 'Ok,I'll try to do better today' and that's where it ends.
I'm too busy making service to my customers to worry about reports that mean nothing.I dont have the time,energy or interest to argue with management over non problems

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Delivery routes are not the same. There are certain routes where its best to use a helper as a runner, and some routes where it is more efficient to drop a helper off to work on their own. My route is just about nothing but subdivisons, and the fastest way is to keep the helper on the car as a runner. The stops aren't close enough together to throw somebody out with a handtruck. This new thing about using both DIADs actually slows me down. The DIAD 5 doesn't communicate with the DIAD 4, so I lose time "not founding" a stop in the 4. And then every 10-15 minites I have to "Accept" that a package was scanned with the other board. This is a total waste of time to me, I would rather just use the helper board the whole time he is on the car with me. Its a lot easier to just concentrate with one board instead of trying to keep up with two different lists of stops. And I do know how to use a helper, I put out the top driver/helper team numbers every year in my Center.

Mapp

Choo Choo
This company has always done ridiculous things like these. Why? Because someone yuck in a cubicle in Sandy Springs has to try earn his or her salary, in the most stupid way possible. Rules for the sake of rules almost always interferes with efficiency. But when a company as large as UPS creates committees and pays big money to consulting firms like McKinsey and Deloitte, they want some return on their money, even if the results make no sense and actually end up costing more money than the ideas are supposed to save.

This has been going on for many, many years at UPS. And truth be told, most huge multi-national corporations do the same damn thing. For all of the talk that CEO's ramble on about big government bureaucracy, corporations are no different than government.

This is exactly it, someone has to justify their position. Think how much money UPS wastes on stupid **** and reports that dont help anything. My biggest peeve is worrying about preload metrics, pters who get miniscule amount of pay who if they had more time could make better loads saving fter overtime.