EVEN MORE Over Complication of this oh so simple job... Ughh

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Delivery routes are not the same. There are certain routes where its best to use a helper as a runner, and some routes where it is more efficient to drop a helper off to work on their own. My route is just about nothing but subdivisons, and the fastest way is to keep the helper on the car as a runner. The stops aren't close enough together to throw somebody out with a handtruck. This new thing about using both DIADs actually slows me down. The DIAD 5 doesn't communicate with the DIAD 4, so I lose time "not founding" a stop in the 4. And then every 10-15 minites I have to "Accept" that a package was scanned with the other board. This is a total waste of time to me, I would rather just use the helper board the whole time he is on the car with me. Its a lot easier to just concentrate with one board instead of trying to keep up with two different lists of stops. And I do know how to use a helper, I put out the top driver/helper team numbers every year in my Center.

How do you know you are a top team in your Center? I didn't know that was on the OR.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How do you know you are a top team in your Center? I didn't know that was on the OR.

I get told that by my Center Manager and Supervisor, they always ask me how I do it. They want me to teach the other drivers my methods. Its really simple, I respect my helper and we do work together. I get out of the truck and run stops off too. I try to communicate with them effectively and they know exactly what is expected of them. I encourage them all day and thank them when I let them off the car. Plus I use my common sense and area knowledge to the best advantage. I have had several types of leadership training and have led a high risk team building program too, thats the advantage that I don't share with them.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My Dispatcher used to be Dispatcher in Scratch's building and he has told me quite a few times that Scratch is a Parceling MACHINE by himself and that with a helper he 'carried the centers numbers'

bumped

I have found from being a helper early in my career to being a driver for many years is that too much time is lost in the back of the truck. If the helper is in the seat the truck should be moving. As a driver I may be 20-30-40 stops ahead, but once that helper reaches the truck I'm in the drivers seat. I know the first hour of the day it sometimes is tough to do.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Dispatcher used to be Dispatcher in Scratch's building and he has told me quite a few times that Scratch is a Parceling MACHINE by himself and that with a helper he 'carried the centers numbers'

And I am tired of carrying my work group too and I let them know it. I don't mess around, I get the job done and I go home at night. And I take the complete hour of lunch. Tell Grady hi for me. He was probably the best dispatcher that I have ever worked under. Back when I ran EAMs, he would plan me up to exactly a 9.5 hour day and I would clock out at 5PM on the dot.

Brokedownandbrown

Hell, scratch delivered out of the old 1000 with 500 stops and 75 pickups in the driving rain, with a small child as a helper and also had had knee surgery three days before and was 1.25 under. Center Manager rewarded Scratch with twenty more stops the next day. Scratch thought it was a bonus and ask for more. Scratch is the new UPS model employee.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Hell, scratch delivered out of the old 1000 with 500 stops and 75 pickups in the driving rain, with a small child as a helper and also had had knee surgery three days before and was 1.25 under. Center Manager rewarded Scratch with twenty more stops the next day. Scratch thought it was a bonus and ask for more. Scratch is the new UPS model employee.

The man has nearly 40 years with the Company ,and everyone I know that has worked with him has nothing but very positive things to say about him. He deserves to have some farking respect extended to him,IMO

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
And I am tired of carrying my work group too and I let them know it. I don't mess around, I get the job done and I go home at night. And I take the complete hour of lunch. Tell Grady hi for me. He was probably the best dispatcher that I have ever worked under. Back when I ran EAMs, he would plan me up to exactly a 9.5 hour day and I would clock out at 5PM on the dot.
Grady is ready to pull his hair out,and it SUX to no end a very smart man isnt allowed to perform to his full level of performance due to the current structure of the company . Years and Years ago when I was a young new hire in the Griffin Center he was Driver Supervisor,and was kind enough to mentor me

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is my 25th peak season as a UPS driver, and my 20th peak in my delivery area.

None of the management people that I report to have been with the company as long as I have, and none of them even come close to having the amount of actual, behind the wheel experience that I have amassed over the years working with helpers of widely differing levels of ability.

When I get into a blown out package car with 13+ hours worth of stops in it, the last thing I give a :censored2: about is whether or not I am going to show up on some report for failing to meet a quota of helper DIAD stops, failing to get the helper off of the clock in some arbitrary amount of time ending in .99 of an hour, or failing to utilize the helper in a manner deemed appropriate by some nitwit in a cubicle who has never done my job or set foot in my delivery area. Unlike the people who pull these stupid requirements out of their fat incompetent asses, the work that I do actually matters.

Warning letter? Go ahead and write me one, see if I care. Peak is over in a week, the next one is 11 months away, and a warning letter is only valid for 9 months. Might as well wipe my ass with it. The funny thing is, I have yet to ever have a sup threaten me with discipline over any of that drivel. They announce it at the PCM, I nod my head and pretend to care, and then I go out and bust ass and get the job done. Results mean more than reports.

kingOFchester

I am paid a little shy of $32/hr to train my helper.
I am paid to show up, drive a truck that probably should be crushed, dig through a truck that is brick loaded with 250 plus stops, drive safely from stop to stop, deliver packages in a safe brisk manner, manage on calls, manage pick ups, respond to idiotic messages and do on. I am not paid to train anyone. Not in the contract, nor do I have the time to train anyone.

Mgmt understands if I have a bad first couple of days with a new helper it is because I am training him.

I wish everyone here at BC could say they have a mgmt team that understands a bad day.

This edict to use helpers in this fashion is not new to me. Now they have come up with a new way to see to it that we do so.
Until I am given the time and tools to train, the directives being given do not see that anything is actually being done other then a smoke and mirror trick to give the illusion to corporate.

I was once an $8.50 helper. Thankfully it didn't take long for my driver to see my work ethic and determine I was trustworthy enough to properly leave a box at the door while he delivered somewhere else. OTOH, I've met and heard of sone very dishonest top-scale drivers. Level pay does not necessarily correlate to level of how responsible and trustworthy someone is.

I have had 5 helpers at this point. 1 quit after getting first check. 1 quit after realizing they weren't getting enough hours. 1 got moved to a driver that was 15 miles closer to where he lived. 1 I have no idea. Helpers are moved, quit, no show is a huge problem in my center.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This past week, my center have had a rash of helpers hurt. They have started to care more about injuries than this stupid new report they have.

My center manager personally congratulated me after a 15 minute onroad observation with gift cards Thursday.
Friday, I had 2 women follow me that work at UPS. They also gave us gift cards and to keep up the safe work.

PS - It is funny ! My center manager has been around for 35 years. I never saw him observe me. These 2 ladies watching us were so close and obvious, I almost could have called the police if it wasn't for the white BMW SUV they were driving !!! :proud: