Exercise Your Rights

Local63Ontario

I know that there's management on here but i don't give two :censored2:s. If you are a Teamster and you are approached by management because they need to talk to you or want you to answer questions, invoke your Weingarten Rights. Don't know what they are, message me or ask your shop steward. Management are not your friends. You are part of a Union for a reason. ✊🏾 #TeamstersStrong

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I know that there's management on here but i don't give two :censored2:s. If you are a Teamster and you are approached by management because they need to talk to you or want you to answer questions, invoke your Weingarten Rights. Don't know what they are, message me or ask your shop steward. Management are not your friends. You are part of a Union for a reason. ✊🏾 #TeamstersStrong

Weingarten only applies if you believe the conversation could lead to discipline. If you refuse to speak to management under normal circumstances you can face discipline.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Are they questions or commands.
Generally speaking. If the question sounds like they are probing for a cardinal sin (even broadly) then that's a very good reason to assume your Weingarten rights. I've done it twice for some loss prevention related things that have happened in the hub over the years. And both times they kept insisting they were not discussing discipline until they gave up and left.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Negative Ghostrider. We are in America. No one can be forced to say :censored2:.
Untrue. We have an obligation to treat others in the workplace with respect, and this does include supervisors.

Acknowledgement of commands, answering safety related questions and concerns, general courtesy, should fall under this.

I’m not saying to chitchat all morning with the enemy, but realistically we do have responsibilities involving communicating with management.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Weingarten only applies if you believe the conversation could lead to discipline. If you refuse to speak to management under normal circumstances you can face discipline.

Could you take the 5th?

How would you know if they were considering discipline...would they tell you that at the beginning of the hearing (Good Morning, Joe we decided to fire you, do you want to say anything?) or do they generally fish around for more reasons to fire you?

542thruNthru

Giving bad advice doesn't help, but I agree with the spirit in which it was given. If we all took a more assertive stance when it comes to dealing with management, we would be in a better position.
Assertive when it comes to your rights yes. He's not talking about being assertive. He's talking about being defiant. Even when you explained to this 6 year BA what the weingarten rights are he threw out the "this is America" line. Next he'll tell you that you can tell management to :censored2: off "because this is America and you have freedom of speech!"

He's the type of guy that gets your average member disciplined or discharged because he comes across like he knows what he's talking about and the average member takes his advice. He doesn't really want to help he just wants to see a so called "revolt" against management because he's angry or bitter at something.

Local63Ontario

Untrue. We have an obligation to treat others in the workplace with respect, and this does include supervisors.

Acknowledgement of commands, answering safety related questions and concerns, general courtesy, should fall under this.

I’m not saying to chitchat all morning with the enemy, but realistically we do have responsibilities involving communicating with management.
No one is saying to cease all communications like accepting work. What is mentioned is a member of management having an exploratory discussion that may lead or be perceived to led to a member being investigated, disciplinary action or as a witness to another members investigation.

Local63Ontario

What scares me is this guy says he was a BA for 6 years and that's his advice.
Do you know how many times members have talked themselves out of a job? Or talked themselves into progressive discipline? Or wrote statements without the acknowledgement from a steward or rep? It's simple to understand. Mgmt "Hey Joe, we need to talk about your attendance" "Hey Joe, we need to talk about an incident that happened yesterday" "Hey Joe, you were out of your work area"..... I need my steward. If the conversation is "Hey Joe, can you help me out by getting a forklift" "Can you put these boxes in that truck" "Can you take this over there"......No problem. Common sense. Weingarten Rights we're established for a reason, same as Miranda Rights. Use them

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Assertive when it comes to your rights yes. He's not talking about being assertive. He's talking about being defiant. Even when you explained to this 6 year BA what the weingarten rights are he threw out the "this is America" line. Next he'll tell you that you can tell management to :censored2: off "because this is America and you have freedom of speech!"

He's the type of guy that gets your average member disciplined or discharged because he comes across like he knows what he's talking about and the average member takes his advice. He doesn't really want to help he just wants to see a so called "revolt" against management because he's angry or bitter at something.

If I had to choose between an incompetent management simp and an incompetent defiant steward, I'd take the defiant one any day of the week. At this point, we could all use a bit more defiance in our attitudes.

Local63Ontario

That's where you are wrong. UPS is a business. We are labor. We must have a good working relationship in order to reach our common goal. Communication is key. It's important that Members come in and do their job to the best of their ability. Work is work. When a workplace has great communication between management and employees, the workplace thrives.