Express Peak 2014

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Last year, after the debacle that was Peak at my station (still delivering Christmas presents a week late), my SM placed two easels outside the check-in room. One asking what we felt went well. Only one response on that one, food. The second one asked what can be done to improve this Peak. No surprise there, two pages worth of comments, one of which was that we get temps or runners.

Well...believe it or not but it looks like maybe someone listened. SM put out a memo this week saying that they are looking into that for Peak. District wide. Happy day!

Naysayers, please hold your comments and let me hold into this thought for a little while. :)

Have any of you heard any Peak plans at your stations?

dezguy

We were told we can't hire temps because they are too hard to get rid of. THEY'RE TEMPORARY EMPLOYEES! They know they're only working for a short while! So, basically they're just going to do what they've always done, place all the burden on the couriers and hope we can handle it. Except, I'm hearing more and more people who aren't going to go out overloaded and are only going to take out their numbers. I can't wait to see what management does about that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Last year, after the debacle that was Peak at my station (still delivering Christmas presents a week late), my SM placed two easels outside the check-in room. One asking what we felt went well. Only one response on that one, food. The second one asked what can be done to improve this Peak. No surprise there, two pages worth of comments, one of which was that we get temps or runners.

Well...believe it or not but it looks like maybe someone listened. SM put out a memo this week saying that they are looking into that for Peak. District wide. Happy day!

Naysayers, please hold your comments and let me hold into this thought for a little while. :)

Have any of you heard any Peak plans at your stations?

"We are looking into it", just like they are "investigating" pay raises, benefits, and other concerns. Believe it when you see it.

MassWineGuy

How does UPS do it???

As one who worked three peaks for UPS, I can answer that. When you're hired you're given a definite date as your last day. For runners, it's Dec.24th.

At our station the senior manager told us they were hiring temps through an agency, maybe as runners. He said FedEx expects this peak to be up in volume by 10 to 15 percent. One problem in hiring temps is that FedEx does background checks on all employees, so there may not be enough time.

It felt to me that everyone came away from the meeting thinking peak would be an utter disaster.

Slick silver

We had a bunch of rental vans from enterprise getting ready for peak. Was told we couldn't have rentals at all this year. Would also explain now why the mechanics are working on some of our real junk trucks that were actually going to be retired and now are coming back. Has anybody been noticing this at there station

Sent using BrownCafe App

fedex_rtd

Heavyweight at my location has been heavy since early September, and we have had to put on an additional route...5 positions. The problem has been these new aircraft they just don't have the volume that the older larger aircraft did, that and trying to build on the smaller pallets to fit into these planes has caused part of the problem.

Other issue is, most of the ramp handlers that we hired this past summer have moved on, about half said good bye to the company and the other half have joined the revolving door over at the DGO locations. Right now we are short staffed at our ramp, and with just 2 months to go before peak, they are not going to have enough training and knowledge on how to do their jobs...but hey what do I know, I just get paid by the hour!

MassWineGuy

The problem at our station appears to be the physical limits of the building and capacity of the conveyor belt. They were engineered to handle a set maximum capacity (I think). At peak, that level jumps past the red line.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The problem at our station appears to be the physical limits of the building and capacity of the conveyor belt. They were engineered to handle a set maximum capacity (I think). At peak, that level jumps past the red line.

Trust me, when the belt hits maximum capacity it WILL slow down, then stop all by itself.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had a bunch of rental vans from enterprise getting ready for peak. Was told we couldn't have rentals at all this year. Would also explain now why the mechanics are working on some of our real junk trucks that were actually going to be retired and now are coming back. Has anybody been noticing this at there station

Sent using BrownCafe App

I've heard lots of rumors, but reviving trucks form the dead is not unknown (UPS did it for many years). I think it is so effed-up now that even runners and rentals won't really help very much. Kind of like sprinkling sugar on top of a piece of crap.

I am looking forward to the Retarded Clown Circus light the tent on fire and then try and put it out with gasoline. In other words, Peak will be an utter disaster for which we will all be blamed. They can even give raises at this point and it won't make any difference...it is THAT bad.

!Retired!

I was a temp and second man doing deliveries back in 1999.

As for this year....they added 3 routes (new loop) that will temporarily be covered by swings and I see about 6-7 people taking defensive driving class. Due to the routes being added, the existing routes were shrunk into a tighter area. All is fine and well, for now. Let's see what happens after PEAK when it slows down.