Express Peak 2014

hypo hanna

Or you can send a couple of handlers to driving school. Give them a couple of hours total of learning to use a powerpad and a manageable delivery area on a day when commitment times aren't an issue (such as Sunday) and let them have at it.
Trainers are telling me they are already working serious OT to get the new hire couriers through the new "abbreviated" course of 3 days, and see no chance of getting them all trained by peak. I suppose fedex could hire outside contractors for that training but that might get expensive. Either way, the company is unleashing an army of poorly trained drivers on the public roads during the worst driving time of the year. (Weather, traffic, distractions). Once again, FedEx throws "safety" out the window to save a buck up front.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Fred S would be turning over in his grave if he could see what has become of his beloved Federal Express.......oh - wait a second....never mind.

overflowed

Trainers are telling me they are already working serious OT to get the new hire couriers through the new "abbreviated" course of 3 days, and see no chance of getting them all trained by peak. I suppose fedex could hire outside contractors for that training but that might get expensive. Either way, the company is unleashing an army of poorly trained drivers on the public roads during the worst driving time of the year. (Weather, traffic, distractions). Once again, FedEx throws "safety" out the window to save a buck up front.
I heard they are already using contractors for training.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I heard they are already using contractors for training.

Yes. For both RTDs and now, for couriers. As always, you get what you pay for. Clearly, Fred still seems to be OK with the FedEx Disposable Worker Program (FDWP), which seems like a false economy to me. 3 days of training isn't enough to be proficient as a courier, but since there's a good chance they'll quit anyway, does it even matter any longer?

Eventually, they will discover that it would be cheaper to pay better and retain long-term workers. But they'll have to learn this the hard way.

When you have dipshats at the top, dumb ideas and horrible decisions become the norm.

DontThrowPackages

And that really scares me. If you think tossing a box over a fence was bad, just see how the public reaction to a video of someones kid getting run over by an inexperienced driver. You get what you pay for.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And that really scares me. If you think tossing a box over a fence was bad, just see how the public reaction to a video of someones kid getting run over by an inexperienced driver. You get what you pay for.

That's a risk Fred is willing to take. Collateral damage is OK, as long as he makes his money.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Two stops, 100+ pieces each. Anyone can do that.

59 Dano

The driver certification training has not changed. The new hires' driver training is no better or worse than it was 10 years ago.

overflowed

You really think that the training is going to be any different? It's not like the certification course is difficult.
It's different when people have skin in the game, always has been. Look on yelp, any fedex Express station in the country. It will become apparent that most if not all the 0 star reviews are talking about ground. No difference? I say big ass difference. I'll leave it there, won't reply to you anymore.

hypo hanna

Lol! If only that was how it worked.
When they are short handed, the managers have no problem sending handlers out to run routes. They will have dispatch roll stops to neighboring routes and call customers to get them to cancel the pu, osd, or drop off at a box. Lighten the load as much as possible, but these are still routes.
I saw this all the time when I was a dispatcher, and I still see it at my station.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Lol! If only that was how it worked.
When they are short handed, the managers have no problem sending handlers out to run routes. They will have dispatch roll stops to neighboring routes and call customers to get them to cancel the pu, osd, or drop off at a box. Lighten the load as much as possible, but these are still routes.
I saw this all the time when I was a dispatcher, and I still see it at my station.
You'll have to understand the only station Dano is familiar with is Station 1 (Fantasyland.) Everything runs perfectly there for some reason and you also have several hours to sort your 2 document buckets.

59 Dano

You'll have to understand the only station Dano is familiar with is Station 1 (Fantasyland.) Everything runs perfectly there for some reason and you also have several hours to sort your 2 document buckets.

I'm so sorry you can't handle the job, Cactus. Maybe you just aren't cut out to be a courier.