Express volume finally moving to Ground...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's either they believe that they are politically insulated from Congress doing anything as well as believing that they are lawyered up well enough to fend off any future court challenges.
FedEx Express is an airline. The debate begins and ends there.

MAKAVELI

They don't want to combine anything, RLA or not. They want as much freight delivered by contracted third parties as possible, which has no bearing on RLA status.
Like I said if they could combine the two, using a contractor model, they would have done it already. They will not make Express a contractor model because they will lose their RLA status.

bacha29

Like I said if they could combine the two, using a contractor model, they would have done it already. They will not make Express a contractor model because they will lose their RLA status.
It would appear that what they intend to do is to try to walk a tight and thin line. I look forward to seeing how RLA exempt Express you know the "airline" yea, that one, can move heavy volumes of their Express category designated freight over to NLRA/Taft Hartley Fedex Ground and get away with it for an extended period of time. I suppose that if it never leaves the ground it could be called ground freight . At the same time if Fat Freddy gives it Red Bull how then can you call it anything other than air freight?
How long do they think that they can keep shuffling freight between the two doing whatever they damn well please and not risk having that exemption challenged? It the end I don't expect them to lose their exemption but will face much stricter rules including keeping RLA exemption freight in long standing RLA exempt shipping lanes.

MAKAVELI

It would appear that what they intend to do is to try to walk a tight and thin line. I look forward to seeing how RLA exempt Express you know the "airline" yea, that one, can move heavy volumes of their Express category designated freight over to NLRA/Taft Hartley Fedex Ground and get away with it for an extended period of time. I suppose that if it never leaves the ground it could be called ground freight . At the same time if Fat Freddy gives it Red Bull how then can you call it anything other than air freight?
How long do they think that they can keep shuffling freight between the two doing whatever they damn well please and not risk having that exemption challenged? It the end I don't expect them to lose their exemption but will face much stricter rules including keeping RLA exemption freight in long standing RLA exempt shipping lanes.
The issue is they are using Express ,"RLA" employees, to pu and move those packages to the Ground system. The packages are still labeled Express. So they are definitely pushing that line which hasn't been challenged yet. Raj and little Dickey are definitely trying to see how far they can push those boundaries before lawsuits start being filled.

Aquaman

The issue is they are using Express ,"RLA" employees, to pu and move those packages to the Ground system. The packages are still labeled Express. So they are definitely pushing that line which hasn't been challenged yet. Raj and little Dickey are definitely trying to see how far they can push those boundaries before lawsuits start being filled.
Ya express employees moving ground is a slippery slope. Their workaround right now is Express moves the freight, ground delivers it. But I know for a fact… ground has moved and is moving express freight. It happens. It’s very under the radar. Might be being sold as “whoops it got mixed in” but it’s happening.

Star B

White Lightening
Ya express employees moving ground is a slippery slope. Their workaround right now is Express moves the freight, ground delivers it. But I know for a fact… ground has moved and is moving express freight. It happens. It’s very under the radar. Might be being sold as “whoops it got mixed in” but it’s happening.
They are hiding under the fact that everything is being contracted to "that other company". The challenge is going to be -- how is it "another company" when it's the same company that owns them all and directs them?

Yes, we contract things out. Ozark/TA/Whatever does runs from MEMH/INDH. However, Ozark isn't owned by FedEx. FXG doesn't own the ISPs that do the final mile. Yes, FXF does deliver FXE Freight, but those are exceptions (somewhere where FXE doesn't operate on a daily basis). Those instances can be explained away by anyone reasonable. When SHTF and Express or Ground team up to catch up, that's an exception. What can't be explained is when you intermingle so much freight in between opcos on a regular basis.

Or simply put, my favorite "we're misclassified" line. Express is an airline that happens to own a fleet of road trucks and UPS is a trucking company that happens to own a fleet of aircraft. Neither can operate at full capacity without both parts of it, so why the difference still?

Last edited:

bacha29

So what you're saying is that Fat Freddy is deliberately mislabeling ground freight as express freight charging accordingly while moving it over to Ground to move it then shrug his shoulders saying "oh well, it got there in time didn't it'?
Is this practice margin padding or what?

MAKAVELI

So what you're saying is that Fat Freddy is deliberately mislabeling ground freight as express freight charging accordingly while moving it over to Ground to move it then shrug his shoulders saying "oh well, it got there in time didn't it'?
Is this practice margin padding or what?
Pretty much.

Aquaman

Or simply put, my favorite "we're misclassified" line. Express is an airline that happens to own a fleet of road trucks and UPS is a trucking company that happens to own a fleet of aircraft. Neither can operate at full capacity without both parts of it, so why the difference still?
I think this company is partly an airline. And partly a trucking company. I have no problem with the hub and ramp employees being considered “airline employees”. Because they are. But couriers are not. RTD’s are not. Dispatchers are not. Station package handlers are not. I have an airport SIDA badge and I’ve never been within 5,000 feet of an airplane. There’s no reason why the truck drivers shouldn’t be able to unionize. The freight in your truck, at some point having been on a plane, should not automatically classify you as an airline employee. UPS trucks all kind of freight that comes off a plane. A dispatcher sitting in a cubicle 40 miles from the airport, dispatching pickups to TRUCKS is not an airline employee lol.

59 Dano

All Express employees would still be covered. They could combine the two using a contractor model if they wanted without it affecting RLA status.

59 Dano

Doesn't matter what label is on the packages. Zero.

59 Dano

They are hiding under the fact that everything is being contracted to "that other company". The challenge is going to be -- how is it "another company" when it's the same company that owns them all and directs them?

Yes, we contract things out. Ozark/TA/Whatever does runs from MEMH/INDH. However, Ozark isn't owned by FedEx. FXG doesn't own the ISPs that do the final mile. Yes, FXF does deliver FXE Freight, but those are exceptions (somewhere where FXE doesn't operate on a daily basis). Those instances can be explained away by anyone reasonable. When SHTF and Express or Ground team up to catch up, that's an exception. What can't be explained is when you intermingle so much freight in between opcos on a regular basis.
You guys don't get it. Doesn't matter who picks up what or who delivers it.

You're looking at it as how you think the RLA works vs how it works.
UPS has an airline that's a separate opco from the regular old ground package division, just like we do.

Is FedEx Express an airline? Yes. End of story.

59 Dano

We all know that genius. How about you share an opinion and contribute to the conversation. Not every employee of express should be considered an airline employee.
If FedEx Express is an airline, then they're all airline employees and should be classified as such and there's no reasonable argument as to why they shouldn't be.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
All Express employees would still be covered. They could combine the two using a contractor model if they wanted without it affecting RLA status.
Yeah, well good luck with THAT.

You wanna try and bring back prohibition while you’re at it?

LMAO!!!

bacha29

If FedEx Express is an airline, then they're all airline employees and should be classified as such and there's no reasonable argument as to why they shouldn't be.
Not long ago you were telling us that there are some types of sensitive freight that are barred from being handled by third party contractors.

MAKAVELI

If Express went to a contractor model, drivers wouldn't be Express employees. Ttku boot licker.

Last edited: