Extra work/being forced to help? On Topic

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Get on the 9/5 list. If you are asked to help tomorrow, reply, "Am I being forced?" If they are forcing you, stay out past 9/5, you will be on the list by the end of the week. Once you are on the list, every time the ask you to help, reply, "am I being forced." You should go over 9/5 quickly and be able to file for 9/5 penalty pay.

Doing that was exactly how I was able to get them to change who they asked. I am very rarely asked to help anyone anymore. Just like I like.
That's exactly my point, they are taking advantage of me and I want it to stop! And nope :( just shy of 3 year FT driving.
He's got another year before he's eligible for the 9.5 opt-in list.

Faceplanted

Do they post a vacation coverage list for the swing guys to bid the week prior? File for that. Once they post it, bid on a vacation coverage for the whole week. If your in the same route all week you can file 9-5.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Do they post a vacation coverage list for the swing guys to bid the week prior? File for that. Once they post it, bid on a vacation coverage for the whole week. If your in the same route all week you can file 9-5.
No vacation bids unfortunately, us drivers who don't have bid routes just find out what route we do in the morning. That's another thing I get screwed on a lot is route selection. Because I have "area knowledge" I am forced to do tougher routes and more extended routes since the newer drivers don't know them.

barnyard

KTM rider
more extended routes
Forced???
Those have always been the ones that I chose. Knowing them and then not letting anyone else do them is sweet. I just signed a bid for a route and am thinking about turning it down because I will miss so many country routes.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Sad.

Then the OP has no choice put to suck it up. We were all on the bottom of the list at one time and had to help.
I have no problem helping, I have a problem being forced to help because they don't want to send lower seniority drivers to deliver areas they don't know. I had to learn routes so why don't they?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Forced???
Those have always been the ones that I chose. Knowing them and then not letting anyone else do them is sweet. I just signed a bid for a route and am thinking about turning it down because I will miss so many country routes.
They are nice in the summer, but in the winter they can suck pretty bad.

F

Frankie's Friend

Are you using your 8 hr requests to the Nth degree? Add that to the mix.

Above10200

One of our supervisors has really been making me mad lately because they always pick me to help someone and most of the time I'm not even finished with my own work yet.

4 out of 5 days of the week I am told via diad to go help someone when there are many drivers who are done for the day that get to go home. Some have more seniority than me but some also have less seniority than me. The only reason this supervisor asks me to help is because I know most of the routes and they don't want to send others out to help that don't know the area. That itself is bull:censored2: because I am being singled out and punished for simply knowing routes. One day I messaged back to send a lower seniority driver to help a certain driver instead and was responded with "no way, they don't know that area."

The most recent time, I worked over an 11 hour day and I was told there were stops for me at the center when I got back to deliver. So I get back to find another 2 and a half hours of work I had to do, but there were drivers who left already. I know I have to WAD, but I need some suggestions on how to make this blatant singling out stop. I plan on filing an article 37 grievance on Monday for harassment since that is exactly what's happening. Anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this situation?

P.s. I am a swing driver not on the 9.5 list so I can't use that as a defense...yet
Tis the season, expect it, enjoy the overtime when you are at scale or when you worked the same route for a full week, than you are eligible for the 9.5 list!! They keep a route in for more than 30 days after seasonals are done it becomes a bid route!

Faceplanted

No vacation bids unfortunately, us drivers who don't have bid routes just find out what route we do in the morning. That's another thing I get screwed on a lot is route selection. Because I have "area knowledge" I am forced to do tougher routes and more extended routes since the newer drivers don't know them.
Most suppliments have language for vacation coverage bids. They should be posted every week. You pick what YOU want to do for the week. If managment pulls you off for whatever reason you file. A vacation bid also allows you to do the same route for a whole week, thus allowing you to circumnavigate the 4 year full time language and allow you to be on the 9-5 list

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
One of our supervisors has really been making me mad lately because they always pick me to help someone and most of the time I'm not even finished with my own work yet.

4 out of 5 days of the week I am told via diad to go help someone when there are many drivers who are done for the day that get to go home. Some have more seniority than me but some also have less seniority than me. The only reason this supervisor asks me to help is because I know most of the routes and they don't want to send others out to help that don't know the area. That itself is bull:censored2: because I am being singled out and punished for simply knowing routes. One day I messaged back to send a lower seniority driver to help a certain driver instead and was responded with "no way, they don't know that area."

The most recent time, I worked over an 11 hour day and I was told there were stops for me at the center when I got back to deliver. So I get back to find another 2 and a half hours of work I had to do, but there were drivers who left already. I know I have to WAD, but I need some suggestions on how to make this blatant singling out stop. I plan on filing an article 37 grievance on Monday for harassment since that is exactly what's happening. Anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this situation?

P.s. I am a swing driver not on the 9.5 list so I can't use that as a defense...yet
Sorry to hear that they are putting the screws to you. All I can say is your going to have to wait until you can be put on the 9.5 list. Then you will get triple pay for anything over 9.5 3 or more days a week. They do this in are building to all the new cut drivers it’s because seniority drivers have the 9.5 list. How much longer do you have before you can file?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Sorry to hear that they are putting the screws to you. All I can say is your going to have to wait until you can be put on the 9.5 list. Then you will get triple pay for anything over 9.5 3 or more days a week. They do this in are building to all the new cut drivers it’s because seniority drivers have the 9.5 list. How much longer do you have before you can file?
A year and a half and I will be on the list as soon as I qualify for it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Are you taking a full hour lunch and all your breaks? I will never help anyone until I have all my personal time in. You know they're taking their time. When possible, work all the way up to the 14 hour limit. Just before you hit it, call the supervisor to come drive you back to the center, and be sure to have 10 hours off before coming in to work the next day.

MrBates

Hard to do when they leave his stops at the center for me. But they have sent me to help someone and I refused to use my cellphone so I drove around looking for them for over an hour and then drove to the center.

For some reason whenever I have to to help someone who is a "frequent flyer" I always have to take a dump first. After a long relaxing session on the throne I feel refreshed and ready to take a few more stops.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Are you taking a full hour lunch and all your breaks? I will never help anyone until I have all my personal time in. You know they're taking their time. When possible, work all the way up to the 14 hour limit. Just before you hit it, call the supervisor to come drive you back to the center, and be sure to have 10 hours off before coming in to work the next day.
I always take my 15min paid break somewhere around 10:30am and normally I take the minimum 30min lunch, but starting this week I began taking a full hour.
Stop getting done so early. /Close thread
If you read the OP you would see that I was sent back out with another 2½ hours of work AFTER I had already worked an 11 hour day. I don't consider 11 hours an early day.