falsify records

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
When they send the msg. Hey can you cover so and so's pickups because they are done? Respond with #4 (NO) and say that you have your son's soccer game to attend and doing the extra pickups will cause you to miss it. Or whatever excuse you may have "sorry got dinner reservations with the wife" "Got tickets to a concert or sporting event" "Sorry I'm picking up some family memeber from the airport after work" etc etc. And even let them know that the other guy can come get his 10 stops back if he needs to stay busy so that you can keep your appointment. Usually in these situations the gunner says no thanks I'll just keep my own pickups.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have always wondered, Why can't we just get long
Ah yes, the famous quote of the ones that dont want to get along with anyone, they want everyone to get along with them.

Just like the right meeting the left in the middle. Do that over time, and there is no more right, it now is the middle, and the left never budged.

But that is a topic for another thread on another forum.

There is no ability to compromise and keep your integrity.

d

browniehound

Here, they encourage drivers in the above situation to simply take their lunch later. Like after pickups or even after completely finishing their day at some mini mart on the way back to the center. Is it right? No. Is skipping your lunch right? No. Their rules and their decision upon which ones to enforce and which to ignore make it what it is. When left with a bad choice and a worse one most will choose the bad one first.

This is unacceptable to me, in my opinion. If you want or force me to take an hour lunch then I'm taking it at lunch time and not at 1830 in some mini-mart parking lot. I mean thats what a lunch hour is for, right? To eat lunch? Its not lunch if you are told to take it when the route is done. This is just ridiculous. If they tell you to take it later its at this time that you respond with no, its my contractual right to take it between the 4th and 5th so you either need to authorize me partial lunch or you need to take the stops off of me so I can take a full hour.

There is no way they can to tell you to take it "later". That is not lunch, its called supper and I want to be eating that at home with my family and not in some dank parking lot to obtain what's owed to me.

Its crystal clear to me that the only purpose of the lunch is for UPS to obtain free labor from its employees who choose to work through it without getting paid. Shame on them for this unethical business practice.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
I have a question for the board. We have a driver in our center that is working thru his lunch and is that a reason to be fired? On Monday the driver was done early and wanted to go home because he works thru his lunch and I had to make some of his pickups and miss my sons soccer game. I don't really want my fellow driver to get fired, but I am sick of doing his work since he breaks the rules and gets to go home early.

Curious ...How many times has this happened ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This is unacceptable to me, in my opinion. If you want or force me to take an hour lunch then I'm taking it at lunch time and not at 1830 in some mini-mart parking lot. I mean thats what a lunch hour is for, right? To eat lunch? Its not lunch if you are told to take it when the route is done. This is just ridiculous. If they tell you to take it later its at this time that you respond with no, its my contractual right to take it between the 4th and 5th so you either need to authorize me partial lunch or you need to take the stops off of me so I can take a full hour.

There is no way they can to tell you to take it "later". That is not lunch, its called supper and I want to be eating that at home with my family and not in some dank parking lot to obtain what's owed to me.

Its crystal clear to me that the only purpose of the lunch is for UPS to obtain free labor from its employees who choose to work through it without getting paid. Shame on them for this unethical business practice.

You nailed it Brownie, I have nothing to add.

When they sen you a message to cover the pickups just tell them no. No explanation, no reason, just no, to which they will respond with "call office asap" to which you respond.."install phone in truck". (payphones are near impossible to find anymore). Bottom line is that if you were not dispatched with the work BEFORE you left the building your dispatch is the work in your car and the pickups in your pickup log.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If you really want to stop it, file a grievance for the hours time he is stealing. Ask to be paid for all the time he took away from you. All the work he is doing during his lunch time is work that should be paid to a Teamster.

JonFrum

I suggest that you, the driver in question and your shop steward sit down to discuss this situation without involving management. This is not fair to you. To answer your question, by entering a lunch in the DIAD and then working through it he is falsifying records. Ask your shop steward to get copies of the delivery records for that driver with any work done during his meal period highlighted and to bring these to the meeting. If this does not resolve the issue then you will need to involve your mgt team.

Will they fire him? No--he is making them look good--but what he is doing is not fair to you or to his cover drivers.

Bubblehead likes this. But I'm wondering how a Steward obtains delivery records from Management behind a driver's back, without involving Management?

I've read all the advise to date on this issue and can say without hesitation that this post was exactly the right way to handle it.
It's for posts like this that have brought me to the realization that Dave is no longer worthy of being beaten by my drum stick.
This post makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

satellitedriver

Sat, while I understand where your heart lies, how do you figure any of this is up to you to handle?
I figure I personally have to handle any situation that involves someone manhandling my life, for their personal gain.
And what would confronting one of these selfish drivers accomplish by whining to him about your life?
Whining?
I said have an honest locker room conversation.
My gift of loquacity would convince them to not have further confrontations, with me.
He has already shown he could care less.
I would explain to him why he should care.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
For all the saber rattling going on, one word of caution.

When the center instructs you to make someone elses pickup, you better think twice before refusing to comply. It is your duty, both as an employee, and under the contract to work as directed under article 56 and others to perform the duties assigned to you by the company. To do otherwise opens a Pandora's box of issues.

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead likes this. But I'm wondering how a Steward obtains delivery records from Management behind a driver's back, without involving Management?

I'm not sure delivery records are necessary to in order for the partys to have a successful meeting.
For the sake of satisfying the question I would say that a steward is permitted to make information requests when investigating potential grievances.

slick1909

Why not let management know that you can't do his pickups. Plan ahead with your work where it is impossible for to do other drivers work.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have the same problem in my town with the opposite of a bonus driver. Someone has to either make some pickups or bring this guys Air in on a daily basis. It's really nice completing your day early and having it ruined by some slug 2 minutes before you are ready to head back.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We have the same problem in my town with the opposite of a bonus driver. Someone has to either make some pickups or bring this guys Air in on a daily basis. It's really nice completing your day early and having it ruined by some slug 2 minutes before you are ready to head back.

Let me guess, that slug your talking about is a 20+ year driver and runs his route by the book, following all the methods to a T, never gets into any trouble with management other than the occasional "your too far over allowed" comments and takes his full lunch and break as he is contractually obligated to do.

You'll grow up some day!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I forgot to add, a steward does not need management's permission to pull up time cards. It is a contractual right.

88, there are those drivers that for what ever reason do get by with running way over allowed every day, and dont have any time in. I have heard several explanations for this, like he has things on management etc. Cant say as I have no knowledge. But I do know that they get by with things that would get you and I fired regardless of the number of years we had in.

d