Family life

TheWholePackage97

I hear that family life is almost nonexistent working as a FT driver. Is this true? I’m 21 years old, single but I do have aspirations of starting a family some day. If I do take this route, how much family time should I expect?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
21 is the perfect age to start, but the job isn't for you if you want to have a quality family life. That's the bottom line. Even those of us that are fortunate to work very little OT still don't see much of our families.

Here's an example of my interactions with my kids during the week during the school year:

6:30 AM: time to get up!
7:10 AM: have a good day!
8:30 PM: how was your day?
8:40 PM: have a good night, cya tomorrow.

And here's an example of my interactions with my family during the holidays:

Sunday after Thanksgiving: see you in a few weeks!

Christmas Day: hey, how you guys been?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
21 is the perfect age to start, but the job isn't for you if you want to have a quality family life. That's the bottom line. Even those of us that are fortunate to work very little OT still don't see much of our families.

Here's an example of my interactions with my kids during the week during the school year:

6:30 AM: time to get up!
7:10 AM: have a good day!
8:30 PM: how was your day?
8:40 PM: have a good night, cya tomorrow.

And here's an example of my interactions with my family during the holidays:

Sunday after Thanksgiving: see you in a few weeks!

Christmas Day: hey, how you guys been?
You sleep 10 hours a day?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I hear that family life is almost nonexistent working as a FT driver. Is this true? I’m 21 years old, single but I do have aspirations of starting a family some day. If I do take this route, how much family time should I expect?
Honestly it's probably better to start driving before you meet a woman or start a family.

You'll both know what to expect then.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Plan on 12hrs at least away from your family a day, weekends are better but you have to play caught up with laundry and mowing the lawn. During peak non existent family life, last peak I might be lucky to see my kid go to sleep if she stayed up late and got home a little early.

bumped

If you have an education use it. If you have no education after high school then go for UPS. Just pick a wife that is completely on board with your work schedule. Maybe, by the time your kids are old enough to get into extracurricular activities you'll have enough time in to get 8 hour requests. unless your a 22.4...then your screwed... vote no.