Favoritism or Discrimination??? How do I win this fight within the building with the union?

Up In Smoke

Most sorts have an intent book. The intent book allows seniority employees to move to preferred jobs within the sort. Does your building have one, is it current and followed?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I begin working for UPS sunrise crew in September 2022. I have completed my probationary period and am now a regular employee. I got in right before they started hiring their seasonal employees. I started out in the small sort area and about three weeks into my employment they moved me to bag the surepost small sort packages for the post office. I made management aware at that time that the repetitive heavy lifting, twisting and bending agitated my back injury. Mind you at this time I was still within my probationary period. Management spoke with me about the situation and moved me back to small sort area to accommodate my issue without requiring me to get a release from the doctor. I continued to work in this area up until a few days ago when another employee who had an issue with me, complained her wrist was hurting. This same employee was moved a minimum of at least 5 times to try to accommodate her requests. She complained at every location she was sent only to be placed back in the small sort area. She beforehand had requested to be moved to another area and also management felt it was best. This lady in particular, kept targeting me and making rude remarks towards me because management had me scanning and she made it clear that she wanted to scan. She was hired one week before me. So when she asked to move to another location, management seen it best to do so to split us up but moved her back trying to accommodate her after failing the previous 5 times they had already moved her. So one morning they asked me to switch with her to give her wrist a break because she complained to them that it was hurting. I agreed and switched places with her as she normally was the flipper for the small sort packages for sure post. As we began the shift I began to flip packages and another coworker told me I was moving too fast and that the lady had a hurt wrist. After working for at least 20 minutes and watching the way the lady moved her wrist with restriction I realized she was full of bull so my response to my co-worker was that I wasnt there to babysit and that she wasn't hurt. My coworker got mad, threw down her packages and went to management. Management came over and I repeated to management what was said as I continued to work. They moved us around and told everyone to mind their own person and do their job. Before the shift was up I ended up switching back to flipping where there were no more issues even with me flipping at the same normal speed that I work before my co-worker had a fit. At the end of the shift management told me that they were going to move me and the employee with the hurt wrist to another are to discontinue the issues within the small sort area. This did not happen. They allowed her to stay in the area and took me from the area where management had beforehand placed me to accommodate my back injury and sent me to preload trucks. I complained to management and the union about the issue and asked to file a grievance. All hell broke loose. Management was forcing me to work in pain under undue hardship and basically forcing me to quit because they wanted to accommodate one without honoring my accommodation he had taken me from. On Monday 12/5/22 my alarm didn't go off and I woke up late. I immediately called the boss and told him what happened and asked if I could still come in and he told me no they didnt have much work that day and that he would see me the next day. When I arrived at work this morning, management walked up with the union rep and said 1st that he was going to write me up for no call no show and I told him I called and that he told me not to come in. He further went on to say that if I didn't call in before the shift that it is still counted as a no call no show. Incidents happen where sometimes this is not possible as I was sleep and my alarm did not wake me so it was not likely to happen in this manner. I still called around 3AM while the shift was still workable. Secondly, he said that I would not be allowed to work anymore until I get a release from the doctor which previously wasnt requested. I explained the unfairness of it all and asked for his request to be put in black and white to request this release from a doctor and not being able to work until I do so. He denied giving me any type of paperwork or form to turn in to the doctor. The other employee was not required to be released from the doctor and I feel that his is Discrimination and I am now trying to be forced out of a job. What do you think? Please help.

You sound like management matierial with all your people skills
Run don’t walk to tell your boss and tell him you want to be a supervisor

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I didn't expect it. I made management aware of my injury and he chose to accommodate me at the time. Without this initial accommodation, I would have had to accept whatever came with not receiving it. I was in my probationary period then but now I am a permanent employee and with the issues arising with this other employee, he has taken the accommodation away.

Ride that injury all the way to a lawyers office and get paid

542thruNthru

So let me see if I got this straight....

Op uses injury to do easier work.

Op's nemesis does the same and OP is upset.

Op creates hostile work environment by being a little baby about the situation being flip on OP and proceeds to claim nemesis is not actually hurt.

Op then doesn't show up to work on time or call out on time and now Op is upset that UPS is following the rules.

Op now has to get a release because op is putting undo hardship on the company with back pain accommodation and attitude. While only being there 3 months.

Sounds to me like UPS has gone as far as they want to go to accommodate a brand new already broken employee. Now they are telling you, you have 3 options. 1. Get a release from your doctor saying you can perform the duties you were hired to do. (This means repetitive duties.) 2. Apply for an ADA accommodation or 3. Find a new job.

CantGetRight

Small sort drama queens. Arguing about who has the bigger fake injury to get light duty
No drama here and faking an injury. I have paperwork to back my complaint up. One thing about me is without the injury I will make some men look like total wimps. Don't put me in your box. Thanks for the heads up though although it's a little too late. Lol. I have more than 10 years in the parcel industry. That's where my injury came from due to a wreck while on my way to deliver packages. Mwah!

CantGetRight

You sound like management matierial with all your people skills
Run don’t walk to tell your boss and tell him you want to be a supervisor
Thanks for the compliment however I care too much about people and can't see myself being used as a puppet to degrade and dehumanize people all to show favoritism to your management staff family and friends. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I do not take sides or kiss ass. MANAGEMENT OF MY OWN COMPANY IF GOD SAYS THE SAME! You're a great person. I really needed that motivation.

CantGetRight

Op creates hostile work environment by being a little baby about the situation being flip on OP and proceeds to claim nemesis is not actually hurt.

Op then doesn't show up to work on time or call out on time and now Op is upset that UPS is following the rules.

Op now has to get a release because op is putting undo hardship on the company with back pain accommodation and attitude. While only being there 3 months.

Sounds to me like UPS has gone as far as they want to go to accommodate a brand new already broken employee. Now they are telling you, you have 3 options. 1. Get a release from your doctor saying you can perform the duties you were hired to do. (This means repetitive duties.) 2. Apply for an ADA accommodation or 3. Find a new job.
Sounds like you know something I don't. There is no nemesis. If there is a hostile work environment, I didn't create it. There was no reason for me to get mad because I was still doing a job that accommodated me. They got mad because I was working too fast let them tell it. I didn't run to management. I began my shift with a smile on my face and because I didn't work how a coworker wanted me to work, she got upset. I will never be mad at UPS for following their guidelines. Mind you I have only been there 3 months without being given any handbook on policies, rules and regulations. I am not an expert of their operations. I called when my alarm clock didn't go off but they have a different way of looking at it and now I know. I took that for what it was worth. You definitely have the story 100% wrong. I started in that area from day one of my employment so there was no need to mention it until I was moved to bagging the surepost packages, which is in the same area. It's just a little requires a lot of bending. Only then did I speak of my injury and the manager was fine with it and chose to accommodate me. If he would have said bye, I would have been gone then. Simple as that. He has never heard me complain about anything else my dear. Now I have been moved to preload which is worse than bagging, and I was moved there as punishment due to the issues with this other employee, and I am the one being verbally attacked. Taking me out of an accommodation he already gave me is UNDUE HARDSHIP to me. No 1 employee can cause undue hardship to a corporate company. I would have him rather tell me he couldn't accommodate me from the beginning rather than to accommodate me and take it away when a issue arise. It's life but I do appreciate the 3 options you listed because this wasn't even presented to me by management, only option 1. Respectfully, Thank you.

Last edited:

CantGetRight

Honestly, the entire small sort area is light work I didn't have a problem with any job over there irritating my injury other than the bagging, and that is the honest-to-God truth! We both had simple jobs, or so I thought. I was ok with flipping packages and not scanning. It's almost the same job only difference is you have a laser gun and place tags on the package. Flipping the packages was an even easier job. It just wasn't that serious to me.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I didn't expect it. I made management aware of my injury and he chose to accommodate me at the time. Without this initial accommodation, I would have had to accept whatever came with not receiving it. I was in my probationary period then but now I am a permanent employee and with the issues arising with this other employee, he has taken the accommodation away.
If u didn't provide written accommodation then there is no accommodation, little tip for future purposes, don't take anything supervisors tell you at face value

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I begin working for UPS sunrise crew in September 2022. I have completed my probationary period and am now a regular employee. I got in right before they started hiring their seasonal employees. I started out in the small sort area and about three weeks into my employment they moved me to bag the surepost small sort packages for the post office. I made management aware at that time that the repetitive heavy lifting, twisting and bending agitated my back injury. Mind you at this time I was still within my probationary period. Management spoke with me about the situation and moved me back to small sort area to accommodate my issue without requiring me to get a release from the doctor. I continued to work in this area up until a few days ago when another employee who had an issue with me, complained her wrist was hurting. This same employee was moved a minimum of at least 5 times to try to accommodate her requests. She complained at every location she was sent only to be placed back in the small sort area. She beforehand had requested to be moved to another area and also management felt it was best. This lady in particular, kept targeting me and making rude remarks towards me because management had me scanning and she made it clear that she wanted to scan. She was hired one week before me. So when she asked to move to another location, management seen it best to do so to split us up but moved her back trying to accommodate her after failing the previous 5 times they had already moved her. So one morning they asked me to switch with her to give her wrist a break because she complained to them that it was hurting. I agreed and switched places with her as she normally was the flipper for the small sort packages for sure post. As we began the shift I began to flip packages and another coworker told me I was moving too fast and that the lady had a hurt wrist. After working for at least 20 minutes and watching the way the lady moved her wrist with restriction I realized she was full of bull so my response to my co-worker was that I wasnt there to babysit and that she wasn't hurt. My coworker got mad, threw down her packages and went to management. Management came over and I repeated to management what was said as I continued to work. They moved us around and told everyone to mind their own person and do their job. Before the shift was up I ended up switching back to flipping where there were no more issues even with me flipping at the same normal speed that I work before my co-worker had a fit. At the end of the shift management told me that they were going to move me and the employee with the hurt wrist to another are to discontinue the issues within the small sort area. This did not happen. They allowed her to stay in the area and took me from the area where management had beforehand placed me to accommodate my back injury and sent me to preload trucks. I complained to management and the union about the issue and asked to file a grievance. All hell broke loose. Management was forcing me to work in pain under undue hardship and basically forcing me to quit because they wanted to accommodate one without honoring my accommodation he had taken me from. On Monday 12/5/22 my alarm didn't go off and I woke up late. I immediately called the boss and told him what happened and asked if I could still come in and he told me no they didnt have much work that day and that he would see me the next day. When I arrived at work this morning, management walked up with the union rep and said 1st that he was going to write me up for no call no show and I told him I called and that he told me not to come in. He further went on to say that if I didn't call in before the shift that it is still counted as a no call no show. Incidents happen where sometimes this is not possible as I was sleep and my alarm did not wake me so it was not likely to happen in this manner. I still called around 3AM while the shift was still workable. Secondly, he said that I would not be allowed to work anymore until I get a release from the doctor which previously wasnt requested. I explained the unfairness of it all and asked for his request to be put in black and white to request this release from a doctor and not being able to work until I do so. He denied giving me any type of paperwork or form to turn in to the doctor. The other employee was not required to be released from the doctor and I feel that his is Discrimination and I am now trying to be forced out of a job. What do you think? Please help.
Second your job is to do your job, your not responsible if the person by you or below you can't handle their job, you go your pace

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol, been here weeks, demanding only to do light duty. Had zero idea that UPS handles heavy freight.

innCDft3lGE3.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Honestly, the entire small sort area is light work I didn't have a problem with any job over there irritating my injury other than the bagging, and that is the honest-to-God truth! We both had simple jobs, or so I thought. I was ok with flipping packages and not scanning. It's almost the same job only difference is you have a laser gun and place tags on the package. Flipping the packages was an even easier job. It just wasn't that serious to me.

Let us know when you get paid could be awhile