Favoritism or Discrimination??? How do I win this fight within the building with the union?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
People like this.......? What type of people? Humans
1630046755894.jpg

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Alright kids, I think this thread has probably run its course.

OP, you're brand new. You aren't getting accommodated anymore because you were involved in too much drama. Regardless of who's at fault, UPS is just going to look at the common denominators.

If you don't call in before start time, it's a no call no show. They are correct.

If you don't have a bid preferred job, you have to be able to (physically) perform any job on your shift. If you can't, then UPS is well within their rights to make you get cleared by a doctor.

This is likely not the best job for you. It doesn't get easier, and if you're starting out hurt, you'll be broken long before you make it to retirement.

Not trying to be mean. Just realistic.

CantGetRight

Alright kids, I think this thread has probably run its course.

OP, you're brand new. You aren't getting accommodated anymore because you were involved in too much drama. Regardless of who's at fault, UPS is just going to look at the common denominators.

If you don't call in before start time, it's a no call no show. They are correct.

If you don't have a bid preferred job, you have to be able to (physically) perform any job on your shift. If you can't, then UPS is well within their rights to make you get cleared by a doctor.

This is likely not the best job for you. It doesn't get easier, and if you're starting out hurt, you'll be broken long before you make it to retirement.

Not trying to be mean. Just realistic.
I can respect that. Not gonna stop me from fighting for my initial accommodation but in the meantime I'm working on the release. This was a decent post except for the kids part, company man. Thanks for your input.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I can respect that. Not gonna stop me from fighting for my initial accommodation but in the meantime I'm working on the release. This was a decent post except for the kids part, company man. Thanks for your input.
I'm a union steward.

(Hopefully) the farthest thing from a company man you can get.
What you have right now is an extracontractual agreement. The company broke it, and you aren't happy about it.

That's the thing with negotiating outside of the collective bargaining agreement and making arrangements outside of the contract. You're basically at managements' mercy to uphold their end of the deal.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not gonna stop me from fighting for my initial accommodation but in the meantime I'm working on the release.

Getting a medical release is your only option.

Unless your Local Union BA and the UPS Labor manager were involved (and signed off on it)....

You had no accommodation. Despite, what you might believe.

-Bug-

CantGetRight

I'm a union steward.

(Hopefully) the farthest thing from a company man you can get.
What you have right now is an extracontractual agreement. The company broke it, and you aren't happy about it.

That's the thing with negotiating outside of the collective bargaining agreement and making arrangements outside of the contract. You're basically at managements' mercy to uphold their end of the deal.
Thank you. That's all I want is to be able to come in and work whether it hurts or not. I came this far without needing the release and now I can't make money because of it. I wish he would have done this in the beginning than tell me I can't work and make this peak season money. It's crazy. We are all adults and some of us have families to care for and, unfortunately, bills. Them :censored2:s don't stop. All I need is some strong painkillers and a back brace and eventually physical therapy. Let me work, he been allowing it.

CantGetRight

Getting a medical release is your only option.

Unless your Local Union BA and the UPS Labor manager were involved (and signed off on it)....

You had no accommodation. Despite, what you might believe.

-Bug-
That's my understanding. My concern is now I can't make money and the time off will affect my accrual towards benefits and insurance. It's just not fair. The timing is horrible. This is the only time part-time workers can make a lil extra money and it's the holidays. I'm a single mother. He just :censored2:ed on my household.

CantGetRight

A three month employee with an undisclosed previous injury.... ?

Good luck with that.
I spoke with him about the injury. Also, this injury is 10 years old. I was released from it but it has been bothering me. :censored2: happens. Nothing is too hard for God. I'm just trying to provide for my family. There are definitely some loopholes and discrepancies with this issue. Three months is a short time but I have given 10+ years to the parcel industry. I will rather be trying to work even though I am injured because of a job than being injured from sitting on my ass.

Last edited: