FedEx Buying TNT

oldngray

nowhere special
Unions in Europe are much more like out public employee unions than private sector unions. And they will strike periodically when they want a day off. Just because they can.

vantexan

I'm pretty sure Express drivers across the pond are unionized, in some countries.
I know they are in England. My point earlier is FedEx has to deal with unions in Europe, can't get around it like they do here. So basically U.S. Express couriers are expected to do without so that they can pay high pilot salaries, unionized workers in Europe, and build Ground infrastructure.

STFXG

Expected to do without because the pilots and European workers unionized? Or is it that U.S. express couriers accept what they are given? No ones fault but their own.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Expected to do without because the pilots and European workers unionized? Or is it that U.S. express couriers accept what they are given? No ones fault but their own.

Bullshat..and you know it. Europe is much more union-friendly, and workers there don't have to contend with Smith's special interest RLA. Our pilots are already union (ALPA).

When FedEx initially went into Europe (they withdrew from the UK), Smith tried to kill unions. In France, he also tried to bust the union. What don't you people understand about Fred S and the word union...they don't mix.

I hope everyone over there doubles down and tells Mr. Smith to go eff himself if he tries anything. Strike, and shut it all down.

vantexan

You've been on this forum awhile and know why we're not unionized. Why do you insist on beating a dead horse?

Serf

Exactly. I read this and the only thing I thought was well, great reason to not give a 2% raise for the next several years.

vantexan

For everyone keeping score, U.S. FedEx Express couriers are under the Railroad Labor Act, which makes it impossible to organize station by station, and we don't have the support of a national organization like the Teamsters to get a national vote going. People like STFXG know this, but use it to blame individual couriers for not having the courage, never mind the funding, to get a union drive on a national level going. It's disingenuous on their part, but they're offended by statements about FedEx Ground here, so anything they can say to stick it to us they'll grasp at.

STFXG

Offended? Not me. I find the Ground jabs humorous. It's like a player on the New Orleans Pelicans saying the Atlanta Hawks are a horrible team because the Hawks have more players with tattoos.

bbsam

Staff member
For everyone keeping score, U.S. FedEx Express couriers are under the Railroad Labor Act, which makes it impossible to organize station by station, and we don't have the support of a national organization like the Teamsters to get a national vote going. People like STFXG know this, but use it to blame individual couriers for not having the courage, never mind the funding, to get a union drive on a national level going. It's disingenuous on their part, but they're offended by statements about FedEx Ground here, so anything they can say to stick it to us they'll grasp at.
No, no, no. It's not that you don't have the backing of the Teamsters that amuses me. It's that you let it end there. You guys seem so conceited in that stubbornness. Why not strike when fast food joints do? Why not reach out to OWS? I think a lot of you have gotten so comfortable behind the idearly of impossible that you've stopped looking for another viable "how to".

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think a lot of you have gotten so comfortable behind the idearly of impossible that you've stopped looking for another viable "how to".
Same with you Ground contractors that keep taking all the crap that Pittsburgh keeps throwing at you.

vantexan

No, no, no. It's not that you don't have the backing of the Teamsters that amuses me. It's that you let it end there. You guys seem so conceited in that stubbornness. Why not strike when fast food joints do? Why not reach out to OWS? I think a lot of you have gotten so comfortable behind the idearly of impossible that you've stopped looking for another viable "how to".
OK, tell us how we're supposed to organize close to 700 stations? We aren't in contact with each other. Please tell us how we can strike because fast food restaurants can? They aren't under the RLA. Look at that closer and I'll bet outside union organizers were involved. Please, all knowing one. And guess what? Like most couriers I haven't got a pot to piss in so tell me how to do it all for free, ok?

bbsam

Staff member
OK, tell us how we're supposed to organize close to 700 stations? We aren't in contact with each other. Please tell us how we can strike because fast food restaurants can? They aren't under the RLA. Look at that closer and I'll bet outside union organizers were involved. Please, all knowing one. And guess what? Like most couriers I haven't got a pot to piss in so tell me how to do it all for free, ok?
Same way fast food workers do it. Why can they walk and you can't?

bbsam

Staff member
The fact is that you actually value your job at Express more than those at lower paying retail and food service, no? You actually feel you have more to lose than they do.

vantexan

Same way fast food workers do it. Why can they walk and you can't?
I didn't see one fast food worker walk off the job here and I bet most didn't because they can't afford to. And of those who did there was most likely some union support and/or they lived with others that helped. Didn't last very long either did it? With the RLA we'd give FedEx a legitimate reason to fire us plus without a union we'd get no financial support. Not to mention the whole point is to get a union vote and without a national support structure like the Teamsters what is accomplished by a few couriers walking off the job? I've seen 4 or 5 couriers quit at the same time, did nothing to better our situation. This is more about you Ground guys looking for anything to get under our skin because nasty comments have been made here about Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
Nasty comments about Ground? I've come to expect those. Hell, a lot of them have merit. That doesn't do a thing to change the fact that Express couriers on this site have done nothing year after year for themselves. And honestly, there is no will to do anything because Fred is getting what he wants. A workforce that stays 5 to 10 years and moves on.

We talk a lot about how Fedex refuses to pay "industry standard" wages and compensation. I think they have a more insidious plan. They intend to BE the industry standard and reading in the "Future of UPS" thread, it sounds like they might succeed.

It will be fine

Nasty comments about Ground? I've come to expect those. Hell, a lot of them have merit. That doesn't do a thing to change the fact that Express couriers on this site have done nothing year after year for themselves. And honestly, there is no will to do anything because Fred is getting what he wants. A workforce that stays 5 to 10 years and moves on.

We talk a lot about how Fedex refuses to pay "industry standard" wages and compensation. I think they have a more insidious plan. They intend to BE the industry standard and reading in the "Future of UPS" thread, it sounds like they might succeed.

FedEx already pays slightly above industry standard for light duty truck drivers. Some people mistakenly believe the fedex driver job doesn't fall into that category, but we've had that conversation before.

5 years in this position is enough for drivers to realize they are wasting their lives and destroying their bodies for mediocre compensation. It's a job to do while looking for other employment, not a career choice.

Is it truly impossible for Express guys to organize a single station or metro area and strike for a day? Perhaps to show the teamsters there is interest. Doubt it would get you much but it's not like they could can a whole station at once.

Browndriver5

FedEx already pays slightly above industry standard for light duty truck drivers. Some people mistakenly believe the fedex driver job doesn't fall into that category, but we've had that conversation before.

5 years in this position is enough for drivers to realize they are wasting their lives and destroying their bodies for mediocre compensation. It's a job to do while looking for other employment, not a career choice.

Is it truly impossible for Express guys to organize a single station or metro area and strike for a day? Perhaps to show the teamsters there is interest. Doubt it would get you much but it's not like they could can a whole station at once.

Smh...this statement right here is why unions are losing their value. People don't value their jobs because they are paid crap wages and not taken care of. If you made decent money you would care more for your job. Look your body is going to go bad. Your back is going to hurt and your knees are going to give out as you get older..that's life. You should value yourself and your family enough to stand up and want more. Whether that be at fed ex or wherever but companies can't keep exploting workers and this is a prime example of why they do...."I'll just work here until I find another job."