FedEx Buying TNT

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedEx knows more about it than I do Goldi. It looks to me though in order to finance parts of the company that are costing them serious money they've looked to the couriers, by far the biggest workgroup, as a source to pay the extra without cutting into the profit. The snide characters over at Ground who profit from exploiting others should be thankful that the couriers keep taking it on the chin.

Yes, the Express hourlies "financed" the fat pilot contract, Ground acquisition and expansion, and the lifestyles of the rich and famous enjoyed by our fearless leaders. And we continue to do so. Everything Fred does is based on somehow taking from Express, because he can through the RLA power he enjoys.

I agree with van about Ground contractors, who wouldn't have two pennies to rub together if "we" hadn't financed Smith's Ground infrastructure. Ground is a complete scam, yet they continuously try and justify it from both legal and ethical perspectives.

Maybe it's good for a guilty conscience.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Van, can you tell me the history of our pilots. Why and how they Unionized? Was it because of Flying Tigers?

Let me add this. When I used to be an RTD based at the ramp, I had access to the pilot break room, because I knew a lot of them, had been a ramp agent, and it wasn't secured. There were all sorts of information posted indicating that Fred was going to not only screw with pilot schedules, but that he was contemplating a "People Express" style of operation where pilots would unload containers etc. in their downtime. Needless to say, this was not well received.

Also, Flying Tigers pilots were already unionized on T-Day ( 1989 merger day) with ALPA. There was a huge mess because they had to de-certify, and then figure out how to merge seniority lists, and the Tigers pilots got screwed. Seniority is everything when you're a pilot, so a lot of Tigers people had to downgrade from captain to FO, or FO to flight engineer. This made for some very pissed-off individuals, and really started discussions about unionizing FedEx pilots.

One of my favorite jumpseat stories is of a FedEx pilot "training" (check ride) a much more experienced downgraded Tigers pilot on how to be an FO on a 727. These two argued most of the flight, and they were so pissed-off that they overflew the destination airport because they were just going at it so hard. The FE and me were just sort of sitting there in stunned silence. After they were informed that they weren't where they were supposed to be I told them we had already passed over OAK, and the FE verified it.

The enraged Tigers pilot was flying and just said "*uck", and glared at the FedEx captain, and we had the fastest, greased landing I had ever seen, right on the numbers...almost like a fighter pilot landing a plane. When we got off in OAK, they were still arguing in the cockpit.

I think the Tigers pilots really started educating "our" pilots in short order, which has worked out well for them, but not so well for us, because we are paying for their excellent contract.

Last edited:

Goldilocks

I remember I jump seated right after Fedex bought Flying Tigers. I sat in the cockpit, ( loved sitting there) the Tiger pilots said watch this, they turned up the music loud, Born to be Wild, by Steppen Wolf, and tipped the plane back and forth. Mid air. Fun!!! I laughed the whole way. Fun guys but upset with Fedex. FedEx pilots back then were nice except one guy with black hair and a mustache. He thought he was it. I jump seated quite a bit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I remember I jump seated right after Fedex bought Flying Tigers. I sat in the cockpit, ( loved sitting there) the Tiger pilots said watch this, they turned up the music loud, Born to be Wild, by Steppen Wolf, and tipped the plane back and forth. Mid air. Fun!!! I laughed the whole way. Fun guys but upset with Fedex. FedEx pilots back then were nice except one guy with black hair and a mustache. He thought he was it. I jump seated quite a bit.

The Flying Tigers people were a different breed. I remember one flight crew that was assigned to bring a FedEx 727 to an airshow. They all wore shorts and t-shirts, and created quite a spectacle when they arrived. There were also stories that they didn't always wear uniforms on regular duty. I worked at an ex-Tigers facility, and most of the office staff were used to going up on the roof to smoke, get high, or drink. Pretty loose.

There are a lot of FedEx pilots who think they are "it". Just a longshot...the black hair guy. Was his name Frank?

Goldilocks

The Flying Tigers people were a different breed. I remember one flight crew that was assigned to bring a FedEx 727 to an airshow. They all wore shorts and t-shirts, and created quite a spectacle when they arrived. There were also stories that they didn't always wear uniforms on regular duty. I worked at an ex-Tigers facility, and most of the office staff were used to going up on the roof to smoke, get high, or drink. Pretty loose.

There are a lot of FedEx pilots who think they are "it". Just a longshot...the black hair guy. Was his name Frank?

Yes! That was him! Every pilot shared their meal with me in the cockpit. Not him. One of them, not sure if it was him was always picked up in a limo.

DontThrowPackages

Back when jumpseating was allow, rumors swirled around about pilots having a car and women in every city/hub. The pilots I've met were really cool. Once I jumpseated with a female co-worker and right away because of her, I was treated so much more friendly. Another female(nice looking) told me of how she...well, maybe she did or didn't take the yoke and fly. I wasn't there but she was very happy when telling the story. The character "Maverick"is pretty spot on more times than not when describing this guys lol.

TNT Man

Bullshat..and you know it. Europe is much more union-friendly, and workers there don't have to contend with Smith's special interest RLA. Our pilots are already union (ALPA).

When FedEx initially went into Europe (they withdrew from the UK), Smith tried to kill unions. In France, he also tried to bust the union. What don't you people understand about Fred S and the word union...they don't mix.

I hope everyone over there doubles down and tells Mr. Smith to go eff himself if he tries anything. Strike, and shut it all down.

TNT actively encourages new members to become unionised. Although membership has in recent times declined in the UK, we are strong. Whilst I do not look forward to be a FEDEX employee, be rest assured workers here will be ok. Its the FEDEX franchisees and owner drivers who will unfortunately bite the bullet. It'll cost nothing to ditch them but a considerable amount to make us redundant.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
TNT actively encourages new members to become unionised. Although membership has in recent times declined in the UK, we are strong. Whilst I do not look forward to be a FEDEX employee, be rest assured workers here will be ok. Its the FEDEX franchisees and owner drivers who will unfortunately bite the bullet. It'll cost nothing to ditch them but a considerable amount to make us redundant.

Great to hear from an actual TNT UK employee. Please, do NOT trust anything you hear from FedEx or it's representatives. I urge you and your co-workers to educate yourselves as to the history of both FedEx and Mr. Smith. I think you'll be surprised at what a dishonest weasel Fred S is, and how FedEx is such a treacherous and nefarious corporation.

In this country, Smith has arranged special legislation that basically precludes unionization by drivers and other hourlies. He may be willing to spend a large amount to kill your union...I don't know.

Welcome to the Manson Family of corporations, and please keep posting here and keep us aware of what's happening at TNT. Get your fellow employees on here too.

If Satan has a brother, it's FWS.

TNT Man

I,ll keep you posted when any more info starts to flow but european employment laws plus the engineered demise of CityLink, a large Uk parcel carrier by unscrupulous capital venturists has made for a more focused political look towards shysters in the Uk at least. Fedex is tiny in Europe so the limited "synergies" talk is already being voiced by both sides.
Like I said ,I,ll keep you posted even if it is on a Ups forum.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Kinda' like FedEx Ground. Purchased because of the wonderful scam potential involved.

Yours is an accurate analogy. Smith bought RPS because it gave him an instant ground network and a complete contractor scam business model.

The Weasel bought Tigers to get routes, gates, access, and facilities in Asia. Job 1 was to get rid of as many Tigers employees as possible. Smith killed the very profitable Tiger passenger charters because Tigers flight attendants wouldn't de-certify their union.

This is why TNT workers should be very worried. Unions and weasels don't mix.