FedEx Buying TNT

Goldilocks

For everyone keeping score, U.S. FedEx Express couriers are under the Railroad Labor Act, which makes it impossible to organize station by station, and we don't have the support of a national organization like the Teamsters to get a national vote going. People like STFXG know this, but use it to blame individual couriers for not having the courage, never mind the funding, to get a union drive on a national level going. It's disingenuous on their part, but they're offended by statements about FedEx Ground here, so anything they can say to stick it to us they'll grasp at.

Van, can you tell me the history of our pilots. Why and how they Unionized? Was it because of Flying Tigers?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Because then they'll stay too long and make a career of it. Or maybe they'll quit and keep coming back.
OK. Thanks Fred.

greedy-businessman-cartoon-i33.jpg

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Van, can you tell me the history of our pilots. Why and how they Unionized? Was it because of Flying Tigers?

I can tell you what 2 MD11 captains who are friends told me. Smith started jacking the pilots around, trying to improve their productivity by optimizing schedules that favored Fred, not the pilots. So, they formed an in-house union, which wasn't very effective. ALPA soon followed, a very strong pilots union.

The pilots are a relatively small workgroup, they are domiciled in few locations, and they are highly educated and skilled. Smart enough to know that you can't negotiate with a weasel unless you have a union.

vantexan

MrFedEx knows more about it than I do Goldi. It looks to me though in order to finance parts of the company that are costing them serious money they've looked to the couriers, by far the biggest workgroup, as a source to pay the extra without cutting into the profit. The snide characters over at Ground who profit from exploiting others should be thankful that the couriers keep taking it on the chin.

bbsam

Staff member
MrFedEx knows more about it than I do Goldi. It looks to me though in order to finance parts of the company that are costing them serious money they've looked to the couriers, by far the biggest workgroup, as a source to pay the extra without cutting into the profit. The snide characters over at Ground who profit from exploiting others should be thankful that the couriers keep taking it on the chin.
But van, you left...and came back! Knowing how horrible it is, you still came back. As if there is nothing better out there! How many other couriers feel exactly that way?

overflowed

But van, you left...and came back! Knowing how horrible it is, you still came back. As if there is nothing better out there! How many other couriers feel exactly that way?
He's in a depressed area of the country. In his defense I'll say this. If he was in a metro area he very well may be all good at this point. Just my speculation. He has said he tried and looked to no end. Give the guy a break. Don't be a hole.

vantexan

I came back because this is what I've done most of my adult life and don't have the skills that translate into $15.53hr to start elsewhere. But I did come back to a domicile in the mountains. No way would I ever do this job again out of a station. And if I were in my 30's I'd go be a truck driver as there's no future in today's FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member
He's in a depressed area of the country. In his defense I'll say this. If he was in a metro area he very well may be all good at this point. Just my speculation. He has said he tried and looked to no end. Give the guy a break. Don't be a hole.
Not being an a-hole, just stating fact. Contractors aren't getting rich contrary to what you like to believe. I'll certainly take it over being a courier but in a lot of ways we've been sold a line of crap too. Van and I are much the same. Going elsewhere isn't really looking better than where I am so I make the best of it.

UPSmechanicinblue

FedEx already pays slightly above industry standard for light duty truck drivers. Some people mistakenly believe the fedex driver job doesn't fall into that category, but we've had that conversation before.

5 years in this position is enough for drivers to realize they are wasting their lives and destroying their bodies for mediocre compensation. It's a job to do while looking for other employment, not a career choice.

Is it truly impossible for Express guys to organize a single station or metro area and strike for a day? Perhaps to show the teamsters there is interest. Doubt it would get you much but it's not like they could can a whole station at once.

If you guys can get enough cards signed and turned in they will show interest again. Cards are confidential, all you do is sign, with company name and location, drop in mail box, free postage and they go to the directly to the Teamsters. When they see enough interest is when they start the organizing drive and go to the NLRB. Problem would be the guy distributing the cards to other employees and the 1 rat that tells on you. If you know fellow ones want the Union just leave them lying around where they will find them. Just sending a card in Fedex will NEVER know. This is how the pilots done it and Freight is in the process and if the union wins will be a huge step towards ground. Best to talk with the freight guys to keep it going. If anyone wants to message me i will be more than happy to get cards your way. I see many companies say they will never be union but once you have a huge majority of supporters they are forced into negotiations. It's a good feeling to see them pack the union hall and talk about how they done it. No one needs to strike or put there job on the line in the process.

MAKAVELI

If you guys can get enough cards signed and turned in they will show interest again. Cards are confidential, all you do is sign, with company name and location, drop in mail box, free postage and they go to the directly to the Teamsters. When they see enough interest is when they start the organizing drive and go to the NLRB. Problem would be the guy distributing the cards to other employees and the 1 rat that tells on you. If you know fellow ones want the Union just leave them lying around where they will find them. Just sending a card in Fedex will NEVER know. This is how the pilots done it and Freight is in the process and if the union wins will be a huge step towards ground. Best to talk with the freight guys to keep it going. If anyone wants to message me i will be more than happy to get cards your way. I see many companies say they will never be union but once you have a huge majority of supporters they are forced into negotiations. It's a good feeling to see them pack the union hall and talk about how they done it. No one needs to strike or put there job on the line in the process.
The pilots are a very small group compared to the couriers and Freight is organizing terminal by terminal. It would be a totally different ballgame to organize Express nationally. My guess is the teamsters best chance right now is with Freight. Once they have Freight organized and a contract then they could focus on a national campaign for Express.

UPSmechanicinblue

The pilots are a very small group compared to the couriers and Freight is organizing terminal by terminal. It would be a totally different ballgame to organize Express nationally. My guess is the teamsters best chance right now is with Freight. Once they have Freight organized and a contract then they could focus on a national campaign for Express.

Yes very true, best things you guys can do is talk to the Freight guys when you see them to keep it going, I tell the UPS drivers to do the same thing as well when they see the Fedex freight guys on their route. Seem most in my area are Union supportive so far.