FedEx contractor revolt?

It will be fine

Ground and Express run for the same company and have entirely different pay packages, Real simple push a Express down to Grounds level not that far apart anyways. No organization couriers have no chance.
Ground drivers all work for different companies with entirely different pay packages in the same buildings now. It’s not a big deal. Most drivers don’t even know any better.

Aquaman

Are the express drivers gonna start working for contractors or are they still company employees? If they are still employees that’s not combining the opcos. I can see cutting cost by no longer having all those small stations. How’s it gonna workout having company employees working next to non company employees?
This corporation thinks everyone is happy. Have you ever talked to upper management? They are blindsided every time we have a meeting. The upper echelon of management at FedEx lives in a world that doesn’t exist.

MAKAVELI

I don’t see the option for it to not work. It has to. I think it will be a mess and take years to accomplish, much like the TNT integration that’s still ongoing 6 years after the acquisition.
FedEx doesn't have years to get it to work. The contractor model is done. The only ones who don't acknowledge it are management and contractors like yourself.

bacha29

FedEx doesn't have years to get it to work. The contractor model is done. The only ones who don't acknowledge it are management and contractors like yourself.
Mack, Fat Freddy doesn't want to soil his panties or the image of his so called "family" by cutting wages and benefits for Express employees directly. He's getting contractors to do it for him.

You see Mack, contractors are to Fat Freddy what Wagner Group is to Vladimir Putin....Dirty deeds done dirt cheap....with plausible deniability.

Now will it take for this to work? Only for as long as it takes for the public and the DOJ to catch onto his "I'm still an "airline" regardless of what I do" con and will no longer continue to buy it

MAKAVELI

So the only ones that don’t acknowledge your belief are the people actually making the decision? How does this make sense in your head?
Just because they make the decision doesn't mean it will work. So far management is in a deep hole for their ideas and changes. Even investors are seeing the issues with the the contractor model.

bbsam

Staff member
Just because they make the decision doesn't mean it will work. So far management is in a deep hole for their ideas and changes. Even investors are seeing the issues with the the contractor model.
That just keeps them in the same spot they’ve been in for months. Caught between two models without a viable plan to make either work.

It will be fine

Its not all express, but certain zip codes. It starts tomorrow morning. Right now probably one can of freight to each ground hub.
47BACB26-7452-4642-AA3F-E4BB98501B18.gif

Artee

What zips? All around the cities?
Don't know. It might not be in all markets at this time, but it is certainly in ours. They parked another truck on the belt last night to sort ground freight into. Right now the express stations will be having a driver take it to the ground facility. They wanted to containerize it, but it turns out the 3 ground hubs in this area do not have ball mats(yet). They do not want ground and express drivers on the same street. Trying to stop the overlap of the ground and express. Routes will be combined because of the lower volumes. Its a good time to not be in DGO.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Don't know. It might not be in all markets at this time, but it is certainly in ours. They parked another truck on the belt last night to sort ground freight into. Right now the express stations will be having a driver take it to the ground facility. They wanted to containerize it, but it turns out the 3 ground hubs in this area do not have ball mats(yet). They do not want ground and express drivers on the same street. Trying to stop the overlap of the ground and express. Routes will be combined because of the lower volumes. Its a good time to not be in DGO.
It’s more like they don’t want the topped out Express driver @35 dollars an hour delivering on the same street as the 15 an hour ground creatures.👾

bacha29

I bet Bezos is paying close attention to this merge on the cheap debacle to see how it works out. If it's a complete failure the prospect of him making the jump to common carrier will no doubt escalate.

And as was pointed out earlier Fat Freddy will try to isolate the $35 guy from the $15 guy until he can get rid of him and replace him with another $15 guy. That's the Fedex "family" for you.

In the end it will all come down to what this cluster fornication can get done out in the high mileage low volume poor access rural areas. Along with a long line of highly speculative events falling into place in perfect order at just the right time.

At the same time however there are reports regarding spot shortages of diesel fuel in several states including a couple here in the Mid Atlantic Region. I bet they never thought about something like this.

Maui

This is Destination Direct Inject. The packages are pup'd and move through the Express network until the destination market. In most markets there are multiple FXG locations, but there seems to usually be a hub that can sort the volume.

In general the further out zip codes and rural areas go to FXG. Then more are added and it gets closer to the core of the market. There are separate URSA codes for the ground locations. This has been going on in 5 markets for a little while and the geniuses finally realized the need to add FXE station identifiers on the packages also because... if the ramp sort is late or otherwise does not make cutoff for FXG, then the FXE station must deliver. This is comical because the staffing is reduced based on reduced volume. Not sure how many markets are included now. I'd guess it's eventually coming everywhere.

The tech should be complete around 2023 to scan the package at consolidated buildings to determine if FXGcan make commit or if it must be delivered by FXE to make service.