FedEx contractor revolt?

Mutineer

Talked to Ground mgr today,he was running a route because five drivers had quit this week, also said one contractor at his station had said screw it and walked away from his contract. He said several contractor could barely make payroll with what a Fed is offering.

Contractors I know who service areas of Monterey, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Barbara counties, California are definitely less happy and more irritable with FedEx than in years past. Along with the usual bitching, they have all noted drops in volume.

Finding and keeping drivers is no more difficult than in years past, and none are telling tales of contractors abandoning routes.

Interesting that the worst tales of woe and misery I hear about seem to be an east-coast and mid-west thing.

For now.

bacha29

R

Raj says they’re confident of their contingency plans. I’m sure they’ll be just fine.
Correct. It would appear that Raj, Fat Freddy and Johnny Dollar Sign are certain that there's considerable addition value to be extracted from Ground contractors without running the risk of collapsing the network. Their chance to prove their convictions is coming in just a couple of weeks.

yadig

Express is doing away with the robots, response is gone January 31 and UPS just posted a good quarter. The big rumor is express and ground are combining to become more efficient. Is anybody on this forum confident that the company is headed in the right direction?

It will be fine

Express is doing away with the robots, response is gone January 31 and UPS just posted a good quarter. The big rumor is express and ground are combining to become more efficient. Is anybody on this forum confident that the company is headed in the right direction?
I heard all Express is moving to Ground in the Minneapolis market. They just pushed a scanner update to flag time sensitive deliveries.

yadig

I heard all Express is moving to Ground in the Minneapolis market. They just pushed a scanner update to flag time sensitive deliveries.
Are the express drivers gonna start working for contractors or are they still company employees? If they are still employees that’s not combining the opcos. I can see cutting cost by no longer having all those small stations. How’s it gonna workout having company employees working next to non company employees?

It will be fine

Are the express drivers gonna start working for contractors or are they still company employees? If they are still employees that’s not combining the opcos. I can see cutting cost by no longer having all those small stations. How’s it gonna workout having company employees working next to non company employees?
All Ground terminals have company employees working next to contractor employees. It’s not a big deal. I imagine the vast majority of Express drivers in combined stations will be part timers. I don’t see that being an issue.

yadig

All Ground terminals have company employees working next to contractor employees. It’s not a big deal. I imagine the vast majority of Express drivers in combined stations will be part timers. I don’t see that being an issue.
There’s a difference between handlers and courier’s. I thought the company is wanting to get away from two trucks going to the same places everyday.

floridays

Part timers or not, Express Couriers get benefits.

When an the first Express courier runs out of a Ground barn, expect your bottom line to increase. Book it.

zeev

Ground and Express run for the same company and have entirely different pay packages, Real simple push a Express down to Grounds level not that far apart anyways. No organization couriers have no chance.

bacha29

This whole debacle is coming down to one great big cluster fornication. Express drivers are going to be tossed over to Ground contractors and expected to bust their derriere's for decidedly lower pay and significantly lower benefits or none at all. And the amusing part is that Fat Freddy, Raj and Johnny Dollar Sign actually believe that they're going to go happily over to Ground for no other reason than because they are all part of the Fedex "family" (lol)

Another sign of an impeding disaster are these greedy contingency contractors who sign on to take over abandoned routes and only AFTER they sign up to be Mr. Hero contractor do they then just ASSUME that somebody's going to come running up to them with bells on their toes happy to take the job for the advertised pay then quickly discover that the pay is based on completely unattainable daily stop numbers.

As a result they're out there on the job boards everyday canvassing literally the entire nation trying to lure in people from the shrinking labor pool who haven't caught on to this little scam they're running. Oh, they'll get a few of them but how well they perform and how long they stay.....is something that you'll just have to wait and see.

MAKAVELI

Doubt it. Your drivers don't know what is to run cycles. It's a lot different than straight ground. There's the pu side as well. Ground going get same-day OnCalls with some being one hour windows and bringing in outbound on time to make ctv pulls?

It will be fine

Doubt it. Your drivers don't know what is to run cycles. It's a lot different than straight ground. There's the pu side as well. Ground going get same-day OnCalls with some being one hour windows and bringing in outbound on time to make ctv pulls?
You doubt what exactly? I’m not in Minneapolis, so I don’t have the details on what volume is moving over right now. I’ve seen the scanner update description though. It includes delivery time windows and Express pickup capabilities. They aren’t creating the backend software to integrate the networks for fun.

MAKAVELI

You doubt what exactly? I’m not in Minneapolis, so I don’t have the details on what volume is moving over right now. I’ve seen the scanner update description though. It includes delivery time windows and Express pickup capabilities. They aren’t creating the backend software to integrate the networks for fun.
I doubt it will work. It'll be another Estar, Response, Roxo, Zapmail, etc

floridays

If that is true, enjoy running your "business" under a new set of "amendments" to which you have absolutely no contractual grounds to raise for breach.

In your zeal to prove your operation is equal to Express you might be awarded the opportunity to actually prove it.

floridays

You pick up packages, you deliver packages, service no problem Express got rid of that a long time ago.
That is true.
If and when ground contractors become responsible, service will again become a problem.
Easy way to dock settlements. Book it.
A new screw to tighten.