FedEx contractor revolt?

MAKAVELI

This is Destination Direct Inject. The packages are pup'd and move through the Express network until the destination market. In most markets there are multiple FXG locations, but there seems to usually be a hub that can sort the volume.

In general the further out zip codes and rural areas go to FXG. Then more are added and it gets closer to the core of the market. There are separate URSA codes for the ground locations. This has been going on in 5 markets for a little while and the geniuses finally realized the need to add FXE station identifiers on the packages also because... if the ramp sort is late or otherwise does not make cutoff for FXG, then the FXE station must deliver. This is comical because the staffing is reduced based on reduced volume. Not sure how many markets are included now. I'd guess it's eventually coming everywhere.

The tech should be complete around 2023 to scan the package at consolidated buildings to determine if FXGcan make commit or if it must be delivered by FXE to make service.
More like project " failure".

thedownhillEXPRESS

I'm trying to remember which poster it was that mentioned this a few months ago as part of Network 2.0. Danny or Dan or 66 or something like that.
Network 2.0 is embarrassing. It’s like if AOL was just coming out with 2.0 in 2022.
The technology failures and disconnect from those in the purple tower with regards to their
workforce is clearly on display. Not to mention Raj, the not so smooth talking and clueless snake oil salesman who has absolutely no care for front line employees. Probably will be looked upon as a top 5 most disappointing corporate successor in history.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Network 2.0 is embarrassing. It’s like if AOL was just coming out with 2.0 in 2022.
The technology failures and disconnect from those in the purple tower with regards to their
workforce is clearly on display. Not to mention Raj, the not so smooth talking and clueless snake oil salesman who has absolutely no care for front line employees. Probably will be looked upon as a top 5 most disappointing corporate successor in history.
That's the great thing about this place. You're just now hearing about one of the primary components of 2.0, which is only active in the trial stage in a handful of markets, and you have absolutely zero knowledge of it other than the fact that it's a thing that exists, and you're already declaring 2.0 a failure. When I said they were going to start shifting rural Express freight to Ground, I was told by at least one of you geniuses that nope, it wasn't going to happen because they were going to shift to the UPS model and make Ground drivers into FedEx employees.

I used to say this board was like bad sports talk radio, but I was wrong. It's worse.

thedownhillEXPRESS

That's the great thing about this place. You're just now hearing about one of the primary components of 2.0, which is only active in the trial stage in a handful of markets, and you have absolutely zero knowledge of it other than the fact that it's a thing that exists, and you're already declaring 2.0 a failure. When I said they were going to start shifting rural Express freight to Ground, I was told by at least one of you geniuses that nope, it wasn't going to happen because they were going to shift to the UPS model and make Ground drivers into FedEx employees.

I used to say this board was like bad sports talk radio, but I was wrong. It's worse.
You are just proving my point by saying how slow of a rollout this crap sandwich is. Failing to adapt to the current situation by continuing forward with outdated programs.

MAKAVELI

A trial , lol. Like so many other failed ideas. 🤙

floridays

I remember when you said Express wouldn't shift volume to ground.

Maui

I'm trying to remember which poster it was that mentioned this a few months ago as part of Network 2.0. Danny or Dan or 66 or something like that.
Yep. Couple takeaways.
1.this is the future and it fully prioritizes the FXG station/terminal map scheme. IOW expect station boundaries for FXE to move and align with Ground in the near future.
2. Obviously there are opportunities for failure. Ramps will be spending more of their time and space sorting FXG splits. Ideally this is on the PM side and sorted along with LMO/4Z that is then sorted at local FXG hubs. And sometimes the freight moves back and forth. Also FXG URSA can be way off from FXE and get MIS sorted to the wrong market.
3. Those higher seniority people on extended routes should consider bidding on new routes closer to the station. There will be a need for some, but it will be reduced and some are likely to get dissolved or made PT.

MAKAVELI

Yep. Couple takeaways.
1.this is the future and it fully prioritizes the FXG station/terminal map scheme. IOW expect station boundaries for FXE to move and align with Ground in the near future.
2. Obviously there are opportunities for failure. Ramps will be spending more of their time and space sorting FXG splits. Ideally this is on the PM side and sorted along with LMO/4Z that is then sorted at local FXG hubs. And sometimes the freight moves back and forth. Also FXG URSA can be way off from FXE and get MIS sorted to the wrong market.
3. Those higher seniority people on extended routes should consider bidding on new routes closer to the station. There will be a need for some, but it will be reduced and some are likely to get dissolved or made PT.
1. Ground terminals are more spread out geographically making it more difficult to make service on Express products.
2. Ground has a even worse driver employment and retention rate than Express..
3. Worse service with this new scam will lose more customers and accounts.
4 . Contractors aren't going to increase their own capital expenditures with no increase in pay.
Last but not least. Upper management has lost their minds on the what this company needs to do to be solvent for the future.

Aquaman

It will fail… this company doesn’t know what to do. Couriers consistently learning & running the same route, in an order that makes sense to THEM, has never been broken. Yet they’re trying to fix it. It’s okay for this corporation to not put up UPS numbers. They’re a tighter, cleaner company. Doesn’t mean FedEx needs to go overhaul their entire network with dumb programs trying to combine the branches without really combining them. I wonder if UPS is always scheming up dumb :censored2: like response & E-star. As an investor, these never ending bandaid trial period experiments are a horrible sign.

bacha29

It will fail… this company doesn’t know what to do. Couriers consistently learning & running the same route, in an order that makes sense to THEM, has never been broken. Yet they’re trying to fix it. It’s okay for this corporation to not put up UPS numbers. They’re a tighter, cleaner company. Doesn’t mean FedEx needs to go overhaul their entire network with dumb programs trying to combine the branches without really combining them. I wonder if UPS is always scheming up dumb :censored2: like response & E-star. As an investor, these never ending bandaid trial period experiments are a horrible sign.
Spot on. Remember, it's a fundamentally simple task.....Pick it up here.....Haul it over there....put it down someplace.

Instead Fat Freddy, Raj and Johnny Dollar Sign have created this cumbersome, complicated vulnerable management overloaded cluster fornication simply because they believe that in order to compete they have to have an ocean of cheap nonunion grunts.

For contractors one thing won't change. They'll still need 3 guys on every truck....1 coming...1 driving....and 1 leaving. And when the network collapses management will try to blame it on some logistical malfunction when the real cause will be the fact that 1 coming....didn't show up.

Aquaman

Spot on. Remember, it's a fundamentally simple task.....Pick it up here.....Haul it over there....put it down someplace.

Instead Fat Freddy, Raj and Johnny Dollar Sign have created this cumbersome, complicated vulnerable management overloaded cluster fornication simply because they believe that in order to compete they have to have an ocean of cheap nonunion grunts.

For contractors one thing won't change. They'll still need 3 guys on every truck....1 coming...1 driving....and 1 leaving. And when the network collapses management will try to blame it on some logistical malfunction when the real cause will be the fact that 1 coming....didn't show up.
They’ll never have complete control over what a driver does on road. To even think they can is a massive waste of resources. If a courier wants to deliver P2 in the P1 cycle because he’s already there, he’ll do it. You can’t stop it. What are they going to do? Fire someone not getting paid much? Big deal. With a large portion of the loyal Express old timers retiring, there is going to be an awakening for upper managment regarding work ethic & obedience when it comes to these dumb micro-managing schemes. Those require a workforce that cares.

bacha29

They’ll never have complete control over what a driver does on road. To even think they can is a massive waste of resources. If a courier wants to deliver P2 in the P1 cycle because he’s already there, he’ll do it. You can’t stop it. What are they going to do? Fire someone not getting paid much? Big deal. With a large portion of the loyal Express old timers retiring, there is going to be an awakening for upper managment regarding work ethic & obedience when it comes to these dumb micro-managing schemes. Those require a workforce that cares.
Spot on. Eventually the ongoing effort by Fat Freddy, Raj and Johnny Dollar Sign to effect a wholesale devaluation of the labor of the guy who services his route on a full complete and professional everyday basis through a scheme to replace Express own employees with much lower paid contractor employees is clearly a move made out of sheer desperation brought on by means of activist investors demanding an immediate and sizeable improvement in operating results.... and it will have consequences.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It really is amazing how stupid these people are. Piles of freight sitting in the office this week needing to be rerouted because the local ground identifier sorts about 15 zip codes that we don’t do to our station. Medication, priority overnight letters, parts etc sorted to us when they belong 60 miles away at another station. All will be at least a day late and horrible customer service to do this .

Last edited:

zeev

Fast Freddy’s two delivery systems decision still haunts the company and will be the ultimate downfall how to get rid of Express without the employees or the customers knowing it has happened, so far the solution has been to continuously screw both the Ground contractors and Express employees simultaneously. Go Freddy go.

Maui

1. Ground terminals are more spread out geographically making it more difficult to make service on Express products.
2. Ground has a even worse driver employment and retention rate than Express..
3. Worse service with this new scam will lose more customers and accounts.
4 . Contractors aren't going to increase their own capital expenditures with no increase in pay.
Last but not least. Upper management has lost their minds on the what this company needs to do to be solvent for the future.
1. In some areas yes and in others Ground is more dense. FedEx is also building new Ground facilities - not so much for FXE. Nationally there are and will be more Ground buildings AND they deliver more packages.

As long as packages are delivered no one cares about retention or hiring of drivers for contractors. In test markets they have data to show how much is saved and the service levels. They've decided it is acceptable and in fact continue to add zip codes going to FXG in those locations.

IMO this kinda sucks. But I believe it's a partial solution on the way to as many consolidated buildings as possible. This will follow the FXG service areas due to having much more volume. I also believe consolidated operations will make FedEx more profitable. That won't help employees much because execs couldn't care less about paying people as long as there are enough people to pup and deliver at acceptable service levels.

Gone fishin

1. In some areas yes and in others Ground is more dense. FedEx is also building new Ground facilities - not so much for FXE. Nationally there are and will be more Ground buildings AND they deliver more packages.

As long as packages are delivered no one cares about retention or hiring of drivers for contractors. In test markets they have data to show how much is saved and the service levels. They've decided it is acceptable and in fact continue to add zip codes going to FXG in those locations.

IMO this kinda sucks. But I believe it's a partial solution on the way to as many consolidated buildings as possible. This will follow the FXG service areas due to having much more volume. I also believe consolidated operations will make FedEx more profitable. That won't help employees much because execs couldn't care less about paying people as long as there are enough people to pup and deliver at acceptable service levels.
That’s the problem , there’s not enough people at either place to deliver or pickup. If they give ground a decent amount of express freight , they are basically giving up and look for the company to be sold. Ground is terrible and I’m tired of making up excuses and apologizing everyday.
Either way I’ll be fine

It will be fine

That’s the problem , there’s not enough people at either place to deliver or pickup. If they give ground a decent amount of express freight , they are basically giving up and look for the company to be sold. Ground is terrible and I’m tired of making up excuses and apologizing everyday.
Either way I’ll be fine
They need fewer people with one network. I find it amusing you express guys still believe you’re superior in any way. The dude that drives around my neighborhood in a rental van staring at his scanner for Express is nothing to write home about.