FedEx Express Package Handler Question

Hi everyone, I have been admiring FedEx for years and I am thrilled that I have been invited to interview for a position as a package handler for FedEx Express. I am embarrassed to ask at the upcoming interview, but does anyone know how flexible it is to drop or swap a shift if I need a day off? Thanks

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hi everyone, I have been admiring FedEx for years and I am thrilled that I have been invited to interview for a position as a package handler for FedEx Express. I am embarrassed to ask at the upcoming interview, but does anyone know how flexible it is to drop or swap a shift if I need a day off? Thanks
It all depends on operational needs and station management. Some managers are flexible, others not so much.

Ok, thank you. I guess I’ll inquire at the interview. I have a part time job but it’s only two days a week (15-16 hours a week)...really hoping I can make this work without having to drop the other job

If I want a day off and want To give a shift to a co-worker, is there an automated computer system that can process our shift exchange, or does it have to be done through the supervisor?

AB831

Most of the handlers work other jobs, so they should be used to accommodating schedules. Good luck on your interview!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ok, thank you. I guess I’ll inquire at the interview. I have a part time job but it’s only two days a week (15-16 hours a week)...really hoping I can make this work without having to drop the other job
A cargo handler doesn't really get that many hours, so they pretty much have to accept the fact you have another job and work with you.

MassWineGuy

Be sure to phrase it in the most positive light. You want them to know how much you REALLY want this job. But as I’m sure they would understand (let’s hope), times are tough and you need to keep your other job to make ends meet and, thus, may occasionally need some flexibility.

Be sure to phrase it in the most positive light. You want them to know how much you REALLY want this job. But as I’m sure they would understand (let’s hope), times are tough and you need to keep your other job to make ends meet and, thus, may occasionally need some flexibility.
Thank you for the advice!

MassWineGuy

I don’t know what benefits you have with your other job, but FedEx offers benefits after 90 days of employment. There are many people who just work a couple of hours or so a day to get these. They’re sure not the world’s best benefits. But there are worse.

I don’t know what benefits you have with your other job, but FedEx offers benefits after 90 days of employment. There are many people who just work a couple of hours or so a day to get these. They’re sure not the world’s best benefits. But there are worse.

NONE! Lol I have zero benefits at my other job, it’s just a minimum wage by-the-hour job. I wasn’t sure if I would get benefits at FedEx part time

McFeely

Huge Member
NONE! Lol I have zero benefits at my other job, it’s just a minimum wage by-the-hour job. I wasn’t sure if I would get benefits at FedEx part time

If your other job is minimum wage, you'll likely be better off at FedEx even as a part timer. You'll be guaranteed 17 (or is it 17.5?) hours a week, and there is typically more if you want it. Plus benefits and some paid time off that your current gig probably doesn't offer.

All of that if you actually like the physical nature of the job. It's definitely not for everyone.

Are you applying to work at an airport location or a local station where delivery drivers are?

MassWineGuy

Lol it'll be interesting to see how long this kid admires FedEx, once they start working here.

Yeah yeah yeah. It’s far from the best. But far from the worst. And it’s one of the very few companies that offer benefits to part timers.

I thought the weekly hours minimum was 14.5.

If your other job is minimum wage, you'll likely be better off at FedEx even as a part timer. You'll be guaranteed 17 (or is it 17.5?) hours a week, and there is typically more if you want it. Plus benefits and some paid time off that your current gig probably doesn't offer.

All of that if you actually like the physical nature of the job. It's definitely not for everyone.

Are you applying to work at an airport location or a local station where delivery drivers are?

its an airport location! Is there a minimum amount of hours you have to work to get benefits?