FedEx express swing courier. New hire.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If you are covering a 4X10 rt instead of a 5X8 you get OT that day only after working 10 hrs. They also like to sell people on working 4X10's by saying if you work a 5th day you get time and a half and if you work a 6th day it's all doubletime. However they rarely let 4X10's work a 6th day, hate paying doubletime. The current raise scheme might get you to top out pay in 35 years. Be prepared to work next to people making $9hr+ more than you with no hope of ever catching them.
Sorry but your information is incorrect. Swings are considered 5x8 employees, making anything over 8 overtime, as they do not normally get the scheduled 4x10 day off. That being said, swing position is entirely at the mercy of management, who will use, abuse, and wring you out on a regular basis. YOU will be making up for your managers inability to effectively manage the schedule. Don't ever expect to run what you're scheduled for, and you won't be disappointed.

BigWork13

How much money you will earn depends on which market level your salary is set at. If you're at Market level B you will never earn 45,000 dollars a year at FedEx. You would have to work 60 hours a week to make that kind of money. As of rightnow you will also never see a 4-6% raise. Who ever told you that flat out lied to you. This company lies to its employees on a daily basis. Beware of FedEx. Most people that are being hired right now see the writing on the walls within 2 or 3 months and leave. I would also be wary of starting off as a full time swing driver. Most swing driver positions are terrible. You're going to be thrown to the wolves.
Starting pay where I'm at is 18.87 and hour. 40 hours plus 5 of overtime is around 45,000

SmithBarney

if you are making 45k now, unless you are shoveling horse crap, and really don't like your current job. It'll be a while before you make 45k at Express. most "new" hires earn 32-35k before taxes. Of course it depends on location, but thats about average.

Code43

Starting pay where I'm at is 18.87 and hour. 40 hours plus 5 of overtime is around 45,000

If you're starting at 18.87, The guy working next to you is making less than a dollar more than you after 9-10 years with the company. There is a small bump in pay for swing drivers. You may find out why after your first week on the road alone. Just make absolutely sure this is what you really want before quitting your other job.

overflowed

I think if you just say your hiring wage. It would help tremendously. We know how much swings work. For a better calculation. Don't tell us the city or state. If you want to think of this another way? Everything you brought up as a positive are either half truths or outright lies. Do you really want to dump known bs for a different level you can't even imagine. We are just trying to help you make an informed decision. At least you'll be payed for your ot though. Understand in five years you will be making close to what you would be starting at now, no matter what they told you. Best of luck whatever you decide. Ask about the pension, medical, all the things that sounded nice. We will tell you in detail what is what. You would think a company this large would be truthful. Ask questions my friend. Sorry if this is so long. Don't want you to make a life changing decision based on trust alone.

vantexan

Sorry but your information is incorrect. Swings are considered 5x8 employees, making anything over 8 overtime, as they do not normally get the scheduled 4x10 day off. That being said, swing position is entirely at the mercy of management, who will use, abuse, and wring you out on a regular basis. YOU will be making up for your managers inability to effectively manage the schedule. Don't ever expect to run what you're scheduled for, and you won't be disappointed.
I guess it depends on the station. I've worked at several stations where swings got the day off covering 4X10's, and as they indicate at the start of the day on power pad that it's a 4X10 shift they only get OT after 10 hrs while covering that rt. I was a swing twice, 4X10 cover driver 3 times. You big city folk need to come out to where the grass is greener, the air fresher.

BigWork13

I think if you just say your hiring wage. It would help tremendously. We know how much swings work. For a better calculation. Don't tell us the city or state. If you want to think of this another way? Everything you brought up as a positive are either half truths or outright lies. Do you really want to dump known bs for a different level you can't even imagine. We are just trying to help you make an informed decision. At least you'll be payed for your ot though. Understand in five years you will be making close to what you would be starting at now, no matter what they told you. Best of luck whatever you decide. Ask about the pension, medical, all the things that sounded nice. We will tell you in detail what is what. You would think a company this large would be truthful. Ask questions my friend. Sorry if this is so long. Don't want you to make a life changing decision based on trust alone.
Starting pay is 18.87/hr. How much do benefits cost each month and what kind of bs do you have to deal with? My current job is along the line of delivering product to stores. But I have to deal with the selling of that product as well. In my head its going to be much easier to drive somewhere, grab a package and drop it off as opposed to having to try to convince store to buy more product than the need, or set of displays of said product.

Flaco50

Like Slave 101 I've been swinging here 10 years, last few raises have moved me progressively towards the bottom of pay range. I'm around .70 above new hire.:angry:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I guess it depends on the station. I've worked at several stations where swings got the day off covering 4X10's, and as they indicate at the start of the day on power pad that it's a 4X10 shift they only get OT after 10 hrs while covering that rt. I was a swing twice, 4X10 cover driver 3 times. You big city folk need to come out to where the grass is greener, the air fresher.
But typically the offer letter you sign dictates your status as a 5x8. Being scheduled off on the 4x10 day off is usually a result of being overstaffed that week. Basing this on over 8 years as a swing at one of the largest stations in US. Am now at a medium sized station where that same standard/policy is applied.

vantexan

But typically the offer letter you sign dictates your status as a 5x8. Being scheduled off on the 4x10 day off is usually a result of being overstaffed that week. Basing this on over 8 years as a swing at one of the largest stations in US. Am now at a medium sized station where that same standard/policy is applied.
As there are at least 600 stations in the U.S.(used to be over 700 but they closed a bunch)there's no one size fits all for swings. I just turned down a swing position that will cover primarily PM routes but is required to work 2 splits a week, work Saturdays, and day off varies week to week. Large station in large metro area, and about the worst cobbled together scenario I've seen.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
As there are at least 600 stations in the U.S.(used to be over 700 but they closed a bunch)there's no one size fits all for swings. I just turned down a swing position that will cover primarily PM routes but is required to work 2 splits a week, work Saturdays, and day off varies week to week. Large station in large metro area, and about the worst cobbled together scenario I've seen.

Someone would have to be desperate to either go FT or move to that area to accept THAT position. That's crazy!