FedEx flying workers over to Europe to battle strikes in Paris

klein

Für Meno :)
They quoted our beloved Maury in the link. One has to wonder what they're cooking-up to break the union in France.

I lived in Germany, every job is Union there.. be you a hairdresser or a waiter/waitress. Every single job has a union.
You can't break a union, because the government requires a union for any job that has more then 5 employees.

But, yeah, you can try to take some wages away (not vacation though) - that's also government regulated , and it goes by age (under 30 5 weeks, over 30 6 weeks, and 7 weeks over 60, I think).

Sick days are also government regulated.

Unions are basically just there for the wage issues.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I lived in Germany, every job is Union there.. be you a hairdresser or a waiter/waitress. Every single job has a union.
You can't break a union, because the government requires a union for any job that has more then 5 employees.

But, yeah, you can try to take some wages away (not vacation though) - that's also government regulated , and it goes by age (under 30 5 weeks, over 30 6 weeks, and 7 weeks over 60, I think).

Sick days are also government regulated.

Unions are basically just there for the wage issues.

That sounds good because FedEx will fail if they try to do it.

Europa

The union issue is irrelevant. It's illegal to work in France or Germany without a work permit unless you are a citizien of an EU country. Systemati transportation of workers from the US can't be considred as a "business meeting" to get around this. I wonder what they stated as the purpose of the visit on their entry cards?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The union issue is irrelevant. It's illegal to work in France or Germany without a work permit unless you are a citizien of an EU country. Systemati transportation of workers from the US can't be considred as a "business meeting" to get around this. I wonder what they stated as the purpose of the visit on their entry cards?

Strike ends at FedEx Paris hub

Stuart Todd | Mon, 16 May 2011

Staff back at work after three-day dispute over wage demand

Striking staff at FedEx’s Southern European hub at Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) returned to work this morning after three days of industrial action over wage increase demands.

Around 700 day and night-shift workers out of the 2,100 employed by FedEx at the hub, began strike action on 11 May following the breakdown of annual negotiations between unions representatives and management.

According to union sources, this has led to significant disruption to the unloading and loading of aircraft and the handling of packages.

Flights to and from cities such as Memphis, Madrid, Dubai, Hamburg, Rome and Vienna, many fully-loaded, were grounded by the strike or subjected to serious delay.

Paris-CDG is FedEx’s second biggest sorting centre after Memphis and has the capacity to handle 61,500 packages an hour.

A FedEx spokesperson played down the impact of the industrial action on the express giant’s operations and said: “Some workers at the Paris hub walked off the job last week, but we responded by putting contingency plans in place to ensure normal standards of service were maintained and delivery delays to customers reduced to a minimum.”

As IFW was going to press, it was not known whether an agreement on pay had been reached – the unions had demanded a rise of 5% – or whether the strike had been called off as a result of a resumption in negotiations.

klein

Für Meno :)

Many people in the US or here in Canada hold duo citizenship.
I have Canadian and German citizenship, therefor, I can work anywhere in the EU now (being an EU citizen).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'm guessing that they lied, which would be par for the course at FedEx. Perhaps the French refused to allow the scabs to work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Strike ends at FedEx Paris hub

Stuart Todd | Mon, 16 May 2011

Staff back at work after three-day dispute over wage demand

Striking staff at FedEx’s Southern European hub at Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) returned to work this morning after three days of industrial action over wage increase demands.

Around 700 day and night-shift workers out of the 2,100 employed by FedEx at the hub, began strike action on 11 May following the breakdown of annual negotiations between unions representatives and management.

According to union sources, this has led to significant disruption to the unloading and loading of aircraft and the handling of packages.

Flights to and from cities such as Memphis, Madrid, Dubai, Hamburg, Rome and Vienna, many fully-loaded, were grounded by the strike or subjected to serious delay.

Paris-CDG is FedEx’s second biggest sorting centre after Memphis and has the capacity to handle 61,500 packages an hour.

A FedEx spokesperson played down the impact of the industrial action on the express giant’s operations and said: “Some workers at the Paris hub walked off the job last week, but we responded by putting contingency plans in place to ensure normal standards of service were maintained and delivery delays to customers reduced to a minimum.”

As IFW was going to press, it was not known whether an agreement on pay had been reached – the unions had demanded a rise of 5% – or whether the strike had been called off as a result of a resumption in negotiations.

We need to take the hint and toss some sand in the gears over here.