Fedex Ground Are Fedex Employee's. California 9th Circuit Ruling.

If you do the research you will find FedEx has already LOST many court decisions across the country for unpaid overtime, no breaks etc this decision takes it up yet another notch for claims well beyond that. To say FedEx hasn't lost shows you haven't paid attention.
FedEx builds in these payouts, because it's still much cheaper than doing the right thing up front and paying enough to pay drivers for hours worked, ensuring breaks are taken by adding software to scanners to mandate breaks, ensuring the safety of drivers and the public by keeping track of ACTUAL hours worked so drivers are not working 70 hours in a five day work week with little sleep and no breaks.

bbsam

Staff member
If you do the research you will find FedEx has already LOST many court decisions across the country for unpaid overtime, no breaks etc this decision takes it up yet another notch for claims well beyond that. To say FedEx hasn't lost shows you haven't paid attention.
FedEx builds in these payouts, because it's still much cheaper than doing the right thing up front and paying enough to pay drivers for hours worked, ensuring breaks are taken by adding software to scanners to mandate breaks, ensuring the safety of drivers and the public by keeping track of ACTUAL hours worked so drivers are not working 70 hours in a five day work week with little sleep and no breaks.
You miss the point. Yes, FedEx has lost many case but the result is not what most plaintiffs had hoped. Most want Fexec to be forced into employer/employee relationship. That doesn't happen.

Actually, ALL FedEx contractors just want to be paid fairly for their efforts. This all started because FedEx uses this contractor designation to avoid the cost ALL other businesses have to bear. Why pay $100,000 plus for a route to be an employee? Contractors were/are being forced to pay for basic cost such as scanners and uniforms out of their own pocket. The suit was the result of FedEx's unreasonable demands of a well meaning contractors.
The nightmare of driving for FedEx ground/Home continues, however we can see light at the end of the tunnel. The millions paid to contractors/drivers to date in lawsuits is just the beginning. Most contractors and drivers I know could care less about the employee/contractor designation they just want to be paid for their efforts. This lawsuit was the correct approach to achieve that.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You miss the point. Yes, FedEx has lost many case but the result is not what most plaintiffs had hoped. Most want Fexec to be forced into employer/employee relationship. That doesn't happen.
Actually, ALL FedEx contractors just want to be paid fairly for their efforts. This all started because FedEx uses this contractor designation to avoid the cost ALL other businesses have to bear. Why pay $100,000 plus for a route to be an employee? Contractors were/are being forced to pay for basic cost such as scanners and uniforms out of their own pocket. The suit was the result of FedEx's unreasonable demands of a well meaning contractors.
The nightmare of driving for FedEx ground/Home continues, however we can see light at the end of the tunnel. The millions paid to contractors/drivers to date in lawsuits is just the beginning. Most contractors and drivers I know could care less about the employee/contractor designation they just want to be paid for their efforts. This lawsuit was the correct approach to achieve that.
Hey Scam, I see you've come out of hibernation. Good to have you back but me thinks spencers63 wins this debate.

Ground still sucks, however I think you're finally finding that out.

Don't be a stranger. :soccerman:

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. That's what they want, it isn't what they end up getting. The transition to ISP is brutal and a lot of cotractors end up losing badly. Haven't seen one yet get paid the huge sums for past overtime etc.

bbsam

Staff member
Hey Scam, I see you've come out of hibernation. Good to have you back but me thinks spencers63 wins this debate.

Ground still sucks, however I think you're finally finding that out.

Don't be a stranger. :soccerman:
Ask a contractor from an ISP state if he thinks he won.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ask a contractor from an ISP state if he thinks he won.
By the way you're (cough, cough) welcome.

Anyway Ground sucks any way you slice it. Things aren't gonna get any better. Maybe you guys might want to give some thought to walking out.

M I Indy

Yes. That's what they want, it isn't what they end up getting. The transition to ISP is brutal and a lot of cotractors end up losing badly. Haven't seen one yet get paid the huge sums for past overtime etc.

Again.....control! The slant has begun to shift. If transition is so brutal, contractors don't like it, they can just go home! That is always your tough talk when a contractor has whined about the things this lawsuit entails. Once these folks are made whole (legal term) then they will have the opportunity to leave on their terms. How many of them would stay if they got a check that gives them the shot to walk away, knowing they can now use their experience to work for someone or self employ and not be beaten down. Then Ex will have to step up its game to compete for contractors, or hope they can dupe enough even with all the negative press that will come with the settlement.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
good to see you back, bbsam. I was starting to get a little concerned about you.....and yes , I AM serious. The place just ain't the same without its full cast of characters.

bbsam

Staff member
By the way you're (cough, cough) welcome.

Anyway Ground sucks any way you slice it. Things aren't gonna get any better. Maybe you guys might want to give some thought to walking out.
Walk out? No. Did see one sell out recently for a very hefty sum. Has the rest of us thinking a bit more long term.

bbsam

Staff member
Again.....control! The slant has begun to shift. If transition is so brutal, contractors don't like it, they can just go home! That is always your tough talk when a contractor has whined about the things this lawsuit entails. Once these folks are made whole (legal term) then they will have the opportunity to leave on their terms. How many of them would stay if they got a check that gives them the shot to walk away, knowing they can now use their experience to work for someone or self employ and not be beaten down. Then Ex will have to step up its game to compete for contractors, or hope they can dupe enough even with all the negative press that will come with the settlement.
ISP conversion dupes the best into staying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Walk out? No. Did see one sell out recently for a very hefty sum. Has the rest of us thinking a bit more long term.

You have told us from Day One that you have an exit plan in place-----would a "very hefty sum" alter that plan?

(It's good to have you back----I enjoy your perspective as a contractor)

M I Indy

ISP conversion dupes the best into staying.

Another random statement I assume! No factual proof of this I'm sure. If ISP is so brutal and it is now known, why would the best stay. Let me guess, you stayed and your the best, so there is your info source. A good supervisor who has the chance to walk away from this sub-contracted job will. Why? They wanted to have a business not a job. They wanted some control. Are you defining the best as the one's who really want to be jobbers, and like Ex breaking it down to the penny for them because they can't themselves. Who, would want to continue when you receive a check that gets you out of "business" debts caused by this sham, kool-aid drinkers? This, to me, would be a working definition of insanity.

bbsam

Staff member
Another random statement I assume! No factual proof of this I'm sure. If ISP is so brutal and it is now known, why would the best stay. Let me guess, you stayed and your the best, so there is your info source. A good supervisor who has the chance to walk away from this sub-contracted job will. Why? They wanted to have a business not a job. They wanted some control. Are you defining the best as the one's who really want to be jobbers, and like Ex breaking it down to the penny for them because they can't themselves. Who, would want to continue when you receive a check that gets you out of "business" debts caused by this sham, kool-aid drinkers? This, to me, would be a working definition of insanity.
As a matter of fact, I am one of the best.